Jacksonville Development Thread

bobliocatt

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

something about Springfield reminds me of New Orleans.

Praha: I was just in N.O. last month and there are many buildings in Springfield which remind me of that area too. Springfield has made significant improvements in the past few years and will just get better over time as it gentrifies and the area between there and downtown fills in.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the San Marco Riverwalk complex (6 towers) still on schedule for groundbreaking in July 2005? Also, will this be completed in phases or simultaneous construction of all buildings/towers? Where exactly will this project be located and where online can we find out more about it?

I guess these questions are more aimed at Lakelander, the Grand Wizard of Urban Planet.

If anyone else knows anything I would great appreciate any info you can share. This seems to be a large project but you hear very little about it.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

• 1 month later...

Is anyone proficient with modeling and Photoshop or 3D Studio? I'm not sure if it was the Orlando or Charlotte thread, but someone posted a rendering of the current skyline that includes proposed developments. I was coming home this afternoon from a doctor's appointment and I was smiling as I looked at The Strand from the Hart Bridge approach. If someone knows how to do this and could post it, that would be awesome.

Also, the front area around The Carling looks rather bare with just a few palm trees. Are there plans to do anything else?

Finally, although I drive Riverside Ave frequently, I hadn't noticed the letters on the Fidelity garage nor the massive palm trees until today. Normally I don't look around while driving, but I was in traffic. When did these go up? Oh, yeah. I looked at the sidewalk and it's hexagonal, like what I have in front of my apartment in Riverside. Yay!

While we're talking about Fidelity......does anyone know how their fight for a raised crosswalk is going? I think this is one of the first good ideas Fidelity has proposed. Traffic on Riverside Ave has just been too frustrating for me lately. However, if the cops could cycle the lights better, I think the traffic flow would be much smoother.

While you're at it, update the Arena Garage to be "Arena and Sports Complex Garages" with the Arena Garage to be 480 spaces and the Sports Complex Garage to be 1000. Precast erection has started at the arena and footings are being poured at the sports complex. I'm the APM on the job. Hey, at least I can help a little bit ;)

And BTW the FNF Garage is complete.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone proficient with modeling and Photoshop or 3D Studio?  I'm not sure if it was the Orlando or Charlotte thread, but someone posted a rendering of the current skyline that includes proposed developments.  I was coming home this afternoon from a doctor's appointment and I was smiling as I looked at The Strand from the Hart Bridge approach.  If someone knows how to do this and could post it, that would be awesome.

Also, the front area around The Carling looks rather bare with just a few palm trees.  Are there plans to do anything else?

Finally, although I drive Riverside Ave frequently, I hadn't noticed the letters on the Fidelity garage nor the massive palm trees until today.  Normally I don't look around while driving, but I was in traffic.  When did these go up?  Oh, yeah.  I looked at the sidewalk and it's hexagonal, like what I have in front of my apartment in Riverside.  Yay!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you check out the St. Petersburg forums and threads, they have numerous projects planned for St. Pete, and what they did (Forumer by the name of "Tall Tampa) was reconcoct a 3-D image with all the completed projects, whether planned or proposed, into the present skyline and the result was an extremely dense and heavy St. Petersburg downtown (Click here: http://sptimes.com/2005/04/17/skyline/

At present, St. Petersburg's skyline is sorely lacking with potholes; but that will soon change.

I am curious as well as to when Jax will give a rendition of what the new skyline will be when all of these projects are finished. But I really believe that will be almost impossible because more projects will be laid out and planned, or on the drawing board in the near future, as the City continues to grow.

I also recall back in 1988 a news article entitled: "Jacksonville, 1990," which was in the Florida Times Union. Computers and 3-D imaging wasn't as prevalent as it is today, therefore, it was an artists rendition and was entertaining. I think in the next 2 to 3 years, someone needs to come up with a "Jacksonville, 2010," and utilize existing available technology to give us a peek into the future regarding what Jacksonville's skyline might look like once all of these projects are finished.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

Well they need to get their heights straight,looks impresive but when you read about towers very few are actually going past 350 feet,but on map looks lot higher compared to other buidlings....I gues St Pete will just be denser not with some impresive skyline.

Just think when Strand,Peninsula,SMP,Riverwalk place and Riverpoint are finished...it will be spectacular view and skyline.

Well they  need to get their heights straight,looks impresive but when you read about towers very few are actually going past 350 feet,but on map looks lot higher compared to other buidlings....I gues St Pete will just be denser not with some impresive skyline.

Just think when Strand,Peninsula,SMP,Riverwalk place and Riverpoint are finished...it will be spectacular view and skyline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, it appears that St. Pete is focusing more on density (building much needed number(s) of scrapers) more than talls and super talls to rival Miami, Tampa and Jax.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

Imo, St. Pete is doing the right thing. Because most of its projects tend to locate right next too each other, its already got the streetlife, both at day and night, that Tampa, Orlando, Miami & Jax dream of. Everything we talk about, like theaters, grocery stores and Barnes & Noble, that Atkins and the revitalized Landing may bring is already there. Its also got several significant museums, a college campus and the nightlife, we hope will one day pop up on Bay Street. The urban parks are in excellent condition, as well. It may lack the height, but at street level it delivers a solid knock out blow to its bigger brothers. Plus, like the rest of our cities, once these additional projects rise, its only going to get better.

Archived