Jacksonville Development Thread

bobliocatt

If he's planning for each unit to be priced at $279k, its got to be a lot better than what presently sits on the site or at least, the same quality of the houses SRG is putting up. When used properly stucco can be a great material. With out seeing renderings, elevations or a site plan, its hard for me to judge.

This brings up the age old question regarding historic preservation. Is it saving buildings, just because their old or is it only for preserving buildings and sites that are archtitectural significant or where significant historical events that helped shaped the city's history have taken place?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say that, like Lake mentioned, not all stucco is created equal. I believe the White House is stucco and that is a great structure. Also, I believe the townhouses in the Kensington section of London are stucco. I guess my main objection is to the prevalence of the Spanish/Mediterannean revival architecture. I think that, while it can be nice (I like the renderings of San Marco Place for example), it is just overdone.

• 2 weeks later...

Work on Berkman Riverwalk still on hold

3.png

by J. Brooks Terry

Staff Writer

Developers of downtown high-rise The Plaza are required to build a Riverwalk segment along their Northbank property, but no one seems to know when work will begin on the lagging project.

In December, the City agreed to construct a temporary Riverwalk along the Plaza

Reasons given for the demolition were a lack of financial

viability for the owner and their assertion that the property

has no historic significance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pardon my ignorance, but how can Tedeschi justify the claim that the property lacks financial viability when he wants to rebuild similar structures? It seems to me that tearing down the existing homes, designing and building new ones would cost more than restoring what's already there.

While I can't say much about the historic significance, I know at least one scene from Lonely Hearts was filmed by Randall Court.

And about that stucco wall... that sounds like a "gated community" which isn't in keeping with Springfield style.

Pardon my ignorance, but how can Tedeschi justify the claim that the property lacks financial viability when he wants to rebuild similar structures? It seems to me that tearing down the existing homes, designing and building new ones would cost more than restoring what's already there.

And about that stucco wall... that sounds like a "gated community" which isn't in keeping with Springfield style.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's probably a square footage issue. The existing houses look pretty small. Plus, doing a proper historic restoration can be comparable in price to new construction.

Regardless, it seems really unlikely that the commission would ever allow that many original houses to be demolished, even if hardship is proven. Preventing such demolitions was kind of the entire point that citizens voted the area an historic district in the first place.

Also, even if the demolitions were approved (again, unlikely, but you can never say never in Jax) any new construction would still be subject to design review. Free standing walls would probably be out of the question, as would any building orientations and massings that deviated from the historic character.

True that Springfield is a historic district and the demolition of structures must be limited, but you also must consider what exactly it is you are trying to preserve. Are you trying to preserve the slum-like conditions or are you trying to make Springfield a desirable and historical place to live? I don't believe that preserving a structure solely because of the fact that it is old is going to help Springfield's revitalivation. Some structures clearly have to go and the demolition of the Randal Court row houses (currently occupied by vagrants) will have no impact on the historical value of the area. Preventing a developer from creating a nice livable space on that land would be a disservice to the neighborhood and to the people investing money there.

While that's a very good argument for the demolitions (I too, question the economic merit of preserving what is essentially a housing project), it still doesn't justify what the developer proposed to replace it.

A walled/gated development with limited access (nevermind whether or not the stucco design looks historical) is exactly the kind of development the historic district is designed to prevent. Part of the reason why Springfield has seen such a jump in property value, is because investors can now put money into the neighborhood knowing that surrounding properties can only be developed in certain pre-approved ways.

Also, keep in mind, this guy only bought those houses very recently. He has no right to complain about any historic restrictions imposed on him. He knew about them when he bought it. It's no different than someone buying property in a suburban community and being forced to abide by the covenants & restrictions. Contracts are contracts (even when managed by the govt. as opposed to a homeowners association), and participation in a market economy involves respecting them.

I have not seen these residences up close, but I have seen them from the street, and of course, the pic in this thread.

When these units went on the market awhile back (for $42,000 each, I believe), I was hoping that Symbiosis would buy them, do some renovation, and lease them out to artists. Truly artistic people could make something nice out of it. Having that many artistic people living so close together would allow them to feed off of each other's creative minds. Springfield is already actively working to develop a strong art orientation to the neighborhood.

To sell these units as single family residences, would require creating a Homeowner's Assocaition, as there would be comon areas. That would add to the expense of living there. However, since they would all have one owner, that would not be a issue as a multi-family property.

For whatever reason, that didn't happen, but it could have been an excellent way to provide housing and a creative atmosphere for talented but "starving" artists.

I think the next six months is going to be full of big announcements for Jax. Several different but perhaps related developments have been occurring that could portend some big announcements IMO.

First the roadblocks seem to be almost removed with three major companies. The city is close to a deal with Land Mar for the Shipyards, Sleiman Enterprises for The Landing and Humana for the garage that was not built.

Then the Borders/Tower records rumor is out there, Bay Street has been mentioned as a site they are looking at. Don't forget that the Chamber just bought the parking lot on Bay Street next to their building. Could that be where Borders and or Tower Records lands? Will they take the Chamber building itself? It would be great if they did IMO. The newly renovated Dyal-Upchurch building is next to that lot as well.

Next, just one block away from the Chamber's new acquisition is the Burns library. The RFP are due earlier next month. BTW, the hideous looking full-block garage is the only thing in between the Burns library and the Chamber's newly acquired parking lot. Could there be a deal in the works to level the garage and build something on it, as part of a forthcoming proposal on the library?

Also, Peterbrooke is looking for a new location. They would be a good compliment to Borders and Towers Record as part of Bay Street.

All of these things are happening just as the mayor is nearing the end of his second year in office. All of the aforementioned projects could be well underway or maybe even completed by election day. That might make him more receptive to bending a little to make some deals work. Also, he has already stated that he wants to keep the momentum going after the SB.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this is the best thread for another construction update. It didn't seem worth a seperate thread. Taken 4-17-05...

I have no idea why photobucket re-sized all the photos at such different dimensions. They all should have been about the same size. Sorry.

San Marco Place (left) The Strand (right)

DSCN3500.jpg

DSCN3499.jpg

Hendricks avenue road work

DSCN3501.jpg

Not much new at the Lerner lofts

DSCN3522.jpg

The Carling's garage looks decent, for a garage.

DSCN3520.jpg

The Main Library is almost done. Those bricks really are hideous. The city should just admit the problem and paint over them. Off-white maybe?

Other than that, the place looks good.

DSCN3506.jpg

DSCN3518.jpg

No work on the old YMCA yet. But it's official: the sign at the bottom says, "future city hall annex"

DSCN3516.jpg

The Hyatt people are rennovating some rooms

DSCN3504.jpg

The sites are cleared for 8th & Pearl.

SE

DSCN3528.jpg

NE

DSCN3527.jpg

NW

DSCN3526.jpg

These two shots are of a government building on A. Phillip Randoph & 1st street. The rest of the street is pretty bleak; full of abandoned buildings and empty lots. I can't believe that some people complained about "gentrification" in this area.

DSCN3532.jpg

DSCN3531.jpg

NOT PICTURED:

No shots of the Riverside ave. or Fidelity campus work.

Also, the Bostwick building (the one with the jaguar mural) looks like the interior is being worked on.

Captain: The exterior of the new library has been a serious disappointment to me too. I agree the whole thing should be painted over in a more tasteful color. It is just hideously ugly as it is now. It looks like they ran out of money halfway through the project and had to buy the cheapest exterior materials they could find just to get the job finished. It also reminds me of the crappy fake brick/stone siding that was popular in the 50s/60s. Enough mediocrity.

Here's a quick picture of the Fidelity garage as seen from across the Fidelity campus construction.

DSCN0864.jpg

This is a new riverwalk access point right in front of the Riverside Y.

DSCN0858.jpg

Got some more I'll load later, but I just thought i'd fill in where Captain Obvious left off.

Im relatively new to the forum, so im sure its some info that ive missed out on, but does anyone have an update on the riverpointe project? Does anyone know of an expected date for new renderings to be released? And also whats the deal with san marco riverwalk, i was told that the old shops next to the riverwalk would be demolished by now, but it doesnt look like anything is going on over there. Someone please help? :blink:

^Most of the old shops on the Radisson site, were torn down right before the Super Bowl. Construction on the San Marco Riverwalk site isn't supposed to begin to later this year or early next year, although the hotel on the SW corner may break ground this summer.

Riverpointe is supposed to break ground around the same time as San Marco Riverwalk. However, I have no idea when the new renderings will be released.

"The Strand apartment tower seen here is on schedule for a May 2006 finish. Sales staff say construction should begin on phase two of the project, the Peninsula condominiums, within 30 days."

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=42700

If true, that puts the Peninsula a month or so ahead of schedule. Very exciting. But the sales staff are probably exaggerating.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Jacksonville Business Journal:

Local housing starts up 36% in 1Q

The number of housing starts in the Jacksonville area climbed 36 percent in the first quarter, according to a study done by a national provider of information to the housing industry.

http://jacksonville.bizjournals.com/jackso...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

These are almost all in suburbia, but the influx of people is bound to help downtown too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived