March into Portland!

Yes, you heard right: Portland, Maine! (For the 98% of you hoping for some port in Oregon, it's understandable if you press the back button.)

And now for the rest of us, this brief tour will give a very basic look at the (cough) city from either end of it's peninsula.

I take a photo from this spot every 100 years. Located in the western end of town, Maine Medical Center is Maine's premire medical center. If you are looking for some sort of "operation," this is the place to go.

hospitalcompare0lr.jpg

Young people (who are probably up to no good) near the hospital. The airport occupies that field.

boardingwestend7se.jpg

The neighborhood on the western side of town is made up of mostly large brick houses. Brick is so common in Portland due to a couple of large fires that burnt down most of the city long ago.

westboulevard4os.jpg

I bet this looks good in the summer

westlookstreet9tj.jpg

westendbigg2ui.jpg

My summer house :P

fancwestend1tw.jpg

Let's take a quick stroll to the other side of Portland's west side, which happens to be on the....eastern side.

bridge2mv.jpg

integrity9is.jpg

spirit7oz.jpg

Hey, Look! There's the city

baysidepano28ej.jpg

And now, the feature presentation. The large building on the right is the hospital from earlier pictures.

baysidepano3rj.jpg

Thanks for you time, kind stranger. Comments, insults, off-colour jokes, are welcome. Stay tuned for for many more pictures this summer with exciting things in downtown/old port and maybe even some pictures that prove that it's a very pedestrian friendly town and whatnot. :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe even some pictures that prove that it's a very pedestrian friendly town and whatnot.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can prove that it is a pedestrian friendly city... I had no car when I lived there.

^That sounds like quite a feat! The public buses in town are scary and foreign to me. Did you have a job near yer home?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never rode a city bus. I was going to MeCA and never went far from Congress Street.

Thanks for stopping by skip :)

I'm not sure if the time and temp clock is protected, but there are no plans of getting rid of it. I think that clock is what really puts Portland up on a higher level, it's so comsmopolitan.

And yes, that would be amazingly awesome if they still had a trolley system up congress street. It would be super popular with the tourists in the summer. There was talk awhile back about extending the narrow gauge railroad from where it ends at India Street all the way to Hadlock filed, so people could park there cars and take a train to the game. I believe the plan for this fell through mostly becuase it would have been a risky business move financially, and also becuase it would have had to cross over some well traveled roads downtown.

Archived