What will be SC largest msa?

motonenterprises

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well according to the census Charleston, Columbia, & Greenville are growing at relatively the same rate so if none of these cities go through a major population gain within the next ten years or so I would say it would be safe to say that there orders will remain the same with Columbia #1, Greenville #2, & Charleston #3. However this is unlikely to happen. I'm sure all three metros will see significant growth spurts in the next ten years! The coast will more than likely be the recipient of most of it. So I would say Charleston has a good shot, but it will have to gain more than 100K in ten years time, same for Greenville.

Didn't Greenville County add about 15,000+ to its population during the last census? Wasn't this more than any other county in the state? I still vote Greenville/Spartanburg mainly because of location. Lets not forget that the GSA metro will more than likely recombine in the next census. That puts it by the largest if that happens. Over 1 million.

Didn't Greenville County add about 15,000+ to its population during the last census? Wasn't this more than any other county in the state?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Greenville County did add more people than any other county in the state in the last census, but that's only part of the puzzle. Richland County added 11,000+, Charleston 11,000+, Lexington 10,000+, Dorchester 7,000+, Spartanburg 7,000+, that's what I mean about relative growth. Yes 15,000+ was the most, but 11,000 is only 4,000 behind. Now if Greenville had jumped too 20K+ over the other two areas then I would say hands down Greenville. But right now and this is just me looking at the published statistics the coast seems to be growing much faster than the rest of the state (except for York County). I personally don't have a problem with Gville, Charleston, or Florence growing larger than my hometown, I just like to stay as objective as possible.

I'm not well versed in this, but is there such a thing as a Greenville/Spartanburg MSA? I thought that Spartanburg was split off into it's own MSA. If that is the case then my vote goes to Charleston.

If we do combine Greenville/Spartanburg and their commuting neighbors, then my vote is for GSA.

I'm not well versed in this, but is there such a thing as a Greenville/Spartanburg MSA?  I thought that Spartanburg was split off into it's own MSA.  If that is the case then my vote goes to Charleston.

If we do combine Greenville/Spartanburg and their commuting neighbors, then my vote is for GSA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe it will be Charleston. You can ask almost anyone is America about Charleston and they will know something about it. Charleston may not be along any corridor that can use other cities to gain recognition, but it can and will continuously hold its own and other cities along I-26 and maybe I-95 will probably use Charleston (in the future) to gain their recogntion.

I believe it will be Charleston. You can ask almost anyone is America about Charleston and they will know something about it. Charleston may not be along any corridor that can use other cities to gain recognition, but it can and will continuously hold its own and other cities along I-26 and maybe I-95 will probably use Charleston (in the future) to gain their recogntion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, if Spartanburg decided to become its own MSA, I would have to say Charleston, even though I know I may be biased. The reason is that Charleston is working on densifying its population with several major development projects. A major building boom is also going throughout other cities in the area such as Goose Creek, Summerville, and even Moncks Corner.

I agree with Hammett's statement...Chucktown can hold its own, and I foresee a boom in Florence which can bill itself as "The Gateway to the Grand Strand and the Lowcountry". Walterboro is also starting become a boom town, and they can claim to be "The Southern Gateway to the Lowcountry". This town is the county seat for Colleton County, and there have been talks to take in this county as part of the Chas. MSA.

I think, since all three metros are growing so similarly, it may rely on which metro adds counties before the next census. If Charleston adds Colleton Co., then it'll probably be them. If Columbia adds Newberry or Orangeburg Cos. (feel free to add any more appropriate counties), it could be them. I'm not sure which MSAs are most likely to add counties (Newberry Co. seems the most logical to me), but that could easily be the deciding factor.

Of course, Spartanburg could easily be added back to Greenville, and that would make the winner obvious...

Greenville and Spartanburg are separate MSA's. It isn't a decision based thing locally. The Census department decides these things. It means that there is less interationc between greenville and spartanbur gin trems of emplyoment. Not that there is none, but that less than 15% of Spartanburg County's population commutes to Greenville County, and vice versa. Greeville's current MSA is more aling the lines of Columbia and Charleston now. I don't have the numbers available at this time though.

Charleston probably has the most potential to out pace Columbia in terms of metro growth since they are basicly tied as it is. Only time will tell though.

Greenville and Spartanburg are separate MSA's. It isn't a decision based thing locally. The Census department decides these things. It means that there is less interationc between greenville and spartanbur gin trems of emplyoment. Not that there is none, but that less than 15% of Spartanburg County's population commutes to Greenville County, and vice versa. Greeville's current MSA is more aling the lines of Columbia and Charleston now. I don't have the numbers available at this time though.

Charleston probably has the most potential to out pace Columbia in terms of metro growth since they are basicly tied as it is. Only time will tell though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought Columbia was ahead of Charleston by about 100,000.

I was surprised to see that Greenville and Spartanburg weren't combined in the 2003 definitions. I'll continue to be surprised if they aren't combined when the definitions are revised, probably in 2008.

It's interesting to note that, while the Census Bureau is responsible for defining MSAs, there IS in fact input taken from the local area, through the responsible Congressmen. In Florida, for example, when Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach (each of which is its own MSA) were combined into a single CMSA, the bureau called it "Miami-Hialeah-Fort Lauderdale," because the bureau's naming convention requires the name to reflect the largest cities in population. But the local congressional delegation went to the bureau and said, hey, this place is called Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, and the bureau changed the name.

Similar thing happened with Tallahassee, which originally was not going to include Jefferson County until the county board met with Tally city representatives and urged Congressman Boyd to have the bureau reexamine the commuting numbers. Jefferson got added to the Tallahassee MSA before the official report was made.

Same thing could happen again in the Upstate. If Upstate power brokers get together and lobby Barrett, Inglis, and Spratt, they might be able to convince the bureau (might; it would still have to fit within the bureau's definitions) to recombine the MSAs. Then you'd see everything from Fairplay to Gaffney in a single CMSA that would have 1/4 of the state's population. That would win this contest hands down.

But absent that sort of change, I'm gonna vote for Charleston. It's the Coast with the most.

I think they only change the metro definitions with the official decennial census. The estimates are more for reference, and are not a thourough analysis, at least thats how I inderstand it.

A separate MSA give more clout to that area. I am in favor of keeping the MSAs separate, but I wouldn't oppose a CSA consisting of the Upstate. I think that might add to the sense of community here :) That said, I wouldn't be suprised in the least if GSP were put back together in the next Census,

Archived