Naming Charlotte's Freeways

jednc

When I travel I always see things I wish Charlotte had (and more often than not I also see things I'm glad Charlotte doesn't have). One of the things I personally like about some other big cities are the freeway names (rather than just calling them by their #, although sometimes a mix of both is good). I'm thinking of things like the Santa Monica Freeway instead of calling it I-10 in LA. So, what names would/could you come up with for Charlotte's freeways? I'm open to changing these rules completely, but my suggestion is segmenting the freeways in some way. That provides opportunities for more descriptive names and also more naming options. However, that could be confusing since inevitably that will mean a freeway suddenly changing names. Give some suggestions and also make some suggestions to the rules if you can think of a better way to do this.

I'll get the ball rolling...

I-77 from John Belk Freeway to the SC Line: Palmetto Freeway

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I-77 South does have a name, it's partially NCDOT's fault for not have better signage however I don't recall the name as much as I drive on it everyday. I know the sign for it is by the Billy Graham exit. NCDOT also likes to name freeways after politicians, eh.

However I vote to keep Independence Freeway/Expressway as is, although NCDOT list it as Andrew Jackson Highway too which I dislike.

Suggest leaving things the way they are. In other words, refer the freeways by their route number.

Here's why. The Charlotte region has lots of tourists and newcomers moving into the area. With a few exceptions, most cities refer to their freeways by the route numbers, not the freeway names. Tourists and newcomers would presumably continue to use and be most comfortable with the route numbers.

And, don't you think many long-time Charlotte residents and businesses are perfectly content referring to the freeways by their route numbers?

Even cities with long-established freeway names (Santa Monica Freeway - Los Angeles, Chrysler Freeway - Detroit, Stemmons Freeway - Dallas, Daniel Boone Expressway - St. Louis, etc.) motorists prefer the route number rather than the name. You'll find these names used occasionally but, in general, the route numbers (I-10, I-75, I-35E, and I-70, etc.) are what is commonly used in these cities.

There are some exceptions, of course. In Chicago, for example, the route names are commonly used.

I am not opposed to interstates being referred to by names. In fact, I think if each section of 485 was given a shorter more memorable name, each section could be referred to by that name. That way you know which portion of 485 has an accident or what not.

I just found this in wikipedia.

Bill Lee Freeway – official North Carolina name of Interstate 77 from Woodlawn Road to the Mecklenburg-Iredell county line, named for William States Lee III (approved on September 5, 1996).

General Paul R. Younts Expressway – official North Carolina name of Interstate 77 from the South Carolina state line to Woodlawn Road, in Mecklenburg County (approved on June 24, 1965).

Suggest leaving things the way they are. In other words, refer the freeways by their route number.

Here's why. The Charlotte region has lots of tourists and newcomers moving into the area. With a few exceptions, most cities refer to their freeways by the route numbers, not the freeway names. Tourists and newcomers would presumably continue to use and be most comfortable with the route numbers.

And, don't you think many long-time Charlotte residents and businesses are perfectly content referring to the freeways by their route numbers?

Even cities with long-established freeway names (Santa Monica Freeway - Los Angeles, Chrysler Freeway - Detroit, Stemmons Freeway - Dallas, Daniel Boone Expressway - St. Louis, etc.) motorists prefer the route number rather than the name. You'll find these names used occasionally but, in general, the route numbers (I-10, I-75, I-35E, and I-70, etc.) are what is commonly used in these cities.

There are some exceptions, of course. In Chicago, for example, the route names are commonly used.

I think you have some good points. In my suggestion for this thread I never envisioned a system where Interstate #s weren't also used to make sure no one was confused. I was thinking more of how people might refer to them in conversation or how a traffic reporter might refer to them. For example, I was driving into Houston the other day during rush hour. They weren't giving traffic reports about I-10 West, but rather the Katy Freeway, or the Gulf Freeway (which I assumed to be I-45 South). I really had no problem figuring out what they were talking about and I'm not from Houston.

I am not opposed to interstates being referred to by names. In fact, I think if each section of 485 was given a shorter more memorable name, each section could be referred to by that name. That way you know which portion of 485 has an accident or what not.

I was thinking the same about 485. It would be nice if sections had names (and I know some do) to specify exactly where one was referring to.

I just found this in wikipedia.

Bill Lee Freeway – official North Carolina name of Interstate 77 from Woodlawn Road to the Mecklenburg-Iredell county line, named for William States Lee III (approved on September 5, 1996).

General Paul R. Younts Expressway – official North Carolina name of Interstate 77 from the South Carolina state line to Woodlawn Road, in Mecklenburg County (approved on June 24, 1965).

Right. I knew these freeways were named in honor of people (I pass the Lee Freeway sign everyday), but no one refers to them this way and those names aren't exactly "catchy".

Speedway Freeway (485)

Dirt Track (277)

All I got

I was thinking that some section might be named for the speedway. I was thinking I-85 from I-77 North into Cabarrus County might be called "The Speedway".

I-77 North of I-85 into Iredell County might be called the "Lake Freeway".

I couldn't come up with anything too clever for I-85 South of I-77 into Gaston County.

I think Independence could just be called the Independence Freeway (where it is a freeway of course) or maybe "The Indy".

And, on second thought about my "Palmetto Expressway" suggestion...maybe it could be named from the perspective of being a gateway into NC. So. maybe the Tarheel Freeway (life-long Duke fan here, but we are the Tarheel state).

Archived