Third Ward Warehouse District

uptownliving

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

By amendment agreements, do you mean they will be submitting a new proposal for that site? That's what I read your post to mean, but wanted to make sure.

Anyway, it is a shame that this is now changing, because I really like the Warehouse 3 building. The detailing down the exterior of the stairway would have been unique to anything in Charlotte.

Still, with th coming of Beazer townhouses and everything else to that area, I'm sure developers will come up with a way to make those sites work.

atlrvr - The changes I described require an amendment to each contract holder's purchase agreement. Updated site plans and possibly floorplans (depending on the extent of the changes) will be distributed to each contract holder. These amendments will have to be signed in order to continue the contract. I was told that the amendment documents are currently with the lawyers, so all the engineering and re-design plans/work have been completed, it's just the legal review that we're waiting on now.

ElricSeven - I agree that there is a big difference between additional expense and impossibilities. I can't believe that the cost of ninety 35' concrete caissons would negate the profit on the 84 Flats, but maybe it's that combined with the risk involved with building around such soil challenges.

• 5 weeks later...

This week the developers for Skybox and Warehouse:3 finally released updated site plan information to all of the folks currently under contract in those developments. In my opinion, here is a list of pros and cons regarding the changes associated with the soil challenges:

Pros:

- A new 4-story development of flat units called The Annex is being planned on the corner of W. Hill and McNinch St. Sales will begin on 4/12 during an event at the actual site.

- All Skybox units but that on the street corner received small window additions on the back walls facing the Center City where there had previously been none

- Most Skybox units received a considerable increase in the square footage of their rooftop "skydecks"

Cons:

- Less vertical density without the Flats towering above the Lofts

- Including The Annex, the total number of units has still been cut in half, decreasing from 116 to approximately 54

- Covered parking deck has been removed with no decrease in sales price nor HOA dues

- Skybox ceilings have been decreased from 12' to 10' on each floor

- European styled Piazza plan with future high-rises on the adjacent western block has been abandoned

All in all, the changes don't ruin the development, but I am disappointed that more density couldn't have been achieved. Hopefully developers will continue to show interest in this area despite the soil challenges so that it one day carries the density and vibe of 1st Ward.

Well the 3WWD is going to be tomorrow's Next Big Thing.

They have a new building called The Annex that looks like it is about 4 stories, but not as big as the original mid-rise proposal.

They just updated their website today, but there still seems to be some kinks, as it doesn't link quite right when navigating it.....anyway, here is the website again.

http://www.3wwd.com

The Third Ward Warehouse district is a funny project. It is chugging along, adding some serious density to uptown and third ward specifically.

But at the same time, it doesn't get much attention, either in the news (until this dougie article) or here on UP.

It will so great to have all that section developed between 77, 277, and First Street.

But at the same time, it doesn't get much attention, either in the news (until this dougie article) or here on UP.

It will so great to have all that section developed between 77, 277, and First Street.

True, some much needed life will be breathed into that area. And yeah I saw this in the paper too first and then this thread popped back up hehe.

I went to the on-site grand opening for the Warehouse 3 development yesterday and it was a great little event. They had an artist exhibition, jewelry sales, two acoustic guitarists, and lots of food all inside the warehouse being renovated for the Lofts. Don't ask me what all of that had to do with selling units, but they locked down a reservation on every single unit in new The Annex development before day's end. Something sure is working there as Skybox remains sold out as well.

With good publicity and lightning fast pre-sales, hopefully it won

Also, hopefully it is getting Citiline the capital it needs to start building out the transit station area. So far, they are planning to develop around the New Bern station where the asphalt plant is.

The pre-sales for these projects are amazing, as I kind of think they have flown under the radar for the most part. They are Furmanesque.

In Charlotte there is a huge dearth of warehouse lofts or even warehouses with the potential for lofts. I'm not surprised at the sales activity. We tried to buy a warehouse a few years ago, but with so few available the prices were not feasible.

• 4 months later...

Great new pics - I'm impressed at how quickly First Row took full shape once it began.

When you were over there, did you happen to ride by the Warehouse 3 site and notice the Backhoe on the Annex corner with a 'Demolition' sign on its arm? Hopefully this means that progress will begin shortly on demolishing that end of the old warehouse so that construction can follow shortly. Warehouse 3 was supposed break ground/begin renovation in June, but I know sales have been slower on the Lofts and commercial Skybox units than they were for the Annex and residential Skybox. Maybe they're waiting for those sales to come around or are just experiencing normal delay like almost every other project.

They are experiencing delays with permitting. They have applied for building permits for both Skybox and Warehouse 3, but there were issues....they are still updating their plans to get to code.

The demolition permit for portions of the old warehouse were just issued this past week, so it looks like they are going to be starting that soon.

I rode by the Warehouse 3 site on Sunday and saw that the demolition on the end of the old warehouse where the Annex mid-rise will sit had begun. I'm not sure how much more there is to do as the majority of the warehouse is being salvaged for the Lofts, but it's a sign that this project is a definite go and should be fully underway before long.

• 4 weeks later...

I rode by the Warehouse 3 site again this evening and was excited to see that they have already started work on the Skybox lot. There were several pieces of heavy machinery on the site and a dozen or more seemingly random placed pylons. I'm not sure if they're still soil testing or what, but we should be seeing some heavy progress shortly. Across the street, it appears that the demolition on the end of the old warehouse where the Annex mid-rise will sit is complete. I expect ground-breaking over there any day now. I'll try to get some pics and post them this weekend.

Looking at the permitting notes, Warehouse 3 is basically fully permitted. They just need to the county to sign off and to pay the permit fee and they can get going on this thing.

Skybox is almost there, but they are still having problems with Backflow (it's the hardest permit for almost every project) They have been denied 4 times so far, but everything else is pretty much in line. I suspect they think they are close to getting it resolved if they have moved machinery on the site.....or it's the staging area for Warehouse 3.

EDIT....Warehouse 3 got final permit approval this morning.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It's been months since we've had a post to this thread, so I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but below are some old and new pictures of the projects in the Third Ward Warehouse District. I thought it would be cool to show the development progression over time.

1st Row (Taken October 2006):

Picture319.jpg

Picture318.jpg

Picture320.jpg

1st Row (Taken April 2007):

Skybox012.jpg

Skybox014.jpg

Skybox013.jpg

The Annex Lot (Taken November 2005):

Picture151.jpg

The Annex Lot (Taken October 2006):

Picture325.jpg