Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

I thought there were some potential plans to somehow connect Pine Street over the top of the railroad tracks.. not sure how or to what it would connect to though?

I agree about the limitations on 12th, but I do think 11th could be widened, if needed. It is already 4 lanes as you head north, and there is enough room to add 1 or 2 lanes on the part closer to 12th (buildings have large areas between them and the sidewalks).

But as you said.. the idea here is not really to cater to cars so much.. we need to continue thinking forward regarding mass transit and walkability.

I don't think there is a way to connect Pine over. Again, that would take it right through Velocity and/or the CSX building. The only option is to take Pine around Velocity toward Division and maybe connect with Gleaves?

what about some sort of pedestrian bridge

that is a GREAT idea...especially if the Music City Convention Center ends up being a space to be enjoyed by those living downtown(ie main hall buried underground)...it would all connect really well, and sobro and the gulch could grow to become one dynamic, connected urban area...

by connecting the two, convention center attendees will be able to access the retail of the gulch, those living in the gulch could enjoy the convention center space if well designed, south of the convention center property could develop(such as a whole foods, other retail...) to cater to those living in the gulch and the convention attendees...

it all makes too much sense....

I think as the Gulch grows there have to be changes made to connect the Gulch to the CC site. It will be about the same walk from there as it would be to lower Broadway.

by connecting the two, convention center attendees will be able to access the retail of the gulch, those living in the gulch could enjoy the convention center space if well designed, south of the convention center property could develop(such as a whole foods, other retail...) to cater to those living in the gulch and the convention attendees...

it all makes too much sense....

I like the idea too. It would be great for all parties. It should just be a pedestrian bridge, though. I think the Gulch will remain a desirable residential neighborhood only if the amount of traffic is minimized. It has the potential to be the quintessential walkable urban neighborhood..

Interesting article from the Tennessean today about the Convention Center builder and the reputation from past CC projects. I say interesting because the story starts off seemingly trying to scare you into thinking there will be all kinds of problems encountered with this builder, but then buried at the end is the praise they have received from other groups as well.

It's also good that at least the parties involved here in Nashville admit to being aware of these past issues because they are taking steps to make sure they are one of the ones happy in the end like Boston, and not upset like Memphis.

Convention center builder is known for tough style, big projects

Interesting article from the Tennessean today about the Convention Center builder and the reputation from past CC projects. I say interesting because the story starts off seemingly trying to scare you into thinking there will be all kinds of problems encountered with this builder, but then buried at the end is the praise they have received from other groups as well.

It's also good that at least the parties involved here in Nashville admit to being aware of these past issues because they are taking steps to make sure they are one of the ones happy in the end like Boston, and not upset like Memphis.

Convention center builder is known for tough style, big projects

My first take on the article, from having dealt with contractors before, is that they get the job, build at their own convenience while bullying and sueing everyone into submission. Basically, holding the project hostage while they do it.

In other words, a typical contractor, just much more succesful at it.

There has never been a perfect set of plans and every bidder will start out by pointing out every little flyspeck 'inconsistency' whether real or imagined. The difference is, a local bidder wanting to keep his prospects open for future work, will work with you and find a reasonable solution to most issues. These guys sound like they know this is a one shot deal n Nashville and wherever, so they optimize their bottom line and possibly sell you a 'Chevy' when you asked and paid for a "Cadillac'.

I have no personal knowledge regarding this firm or anyone involved, so these observations are strictly from my experience in getting things built. I would, however, be very careful and aggressive in managing this contract and not give them $14 million dollars of free money.

Edited by PHofKS

does anyone know if the CC hotel will sit in the footprint of the rectangular lots for the CC, or will it be across the street on a separate piece of land? also, does anyone have any idea where tony g's suprise plot of land is in Sobro where his next project is rumored to be?

It will almost certainly be behind the Country Music Hall of Fame int he large parking lot. At least that is what is in the master plan. Tower Investments owns that land. I would look for several hotels to be built around the entire CC area.

Tony's land is at 2nd Ave. and Demonbreun between Gateway Blvd or what ever its called now. I really wish Metro would leave the name s of the streets alone.

I do wonder what they have done before working with keeping a street grid in place as so many people have voiced should be done, at least as much as possible.

From what I could see on their website, the only example of that was in Pennsylvania...and that was a different situation because that was an expansion of an existing facility, so they just connected the expansion to the existing over the existing street.

While I understand why some in this thread are calling for the meeting hall to be underground and maintaining the street grid - I think we need to be realistic. Nashville sits on solid limestone, and they will not be putting a mega-convention-center underground just to maintain the grid. The old convention center disrupts the grid. The arena disrupts the grid. The bicentennial mall disrupts the grid. And, to keep this new project cheap and bring it to completion quickly, it will also disrupt the grid, being mostly above ground, with potentially above-grade or underground connections to the arena. I wouldn't even expect underground parking to be part of this plan, much cheaper to build a parking mid-rise. I think there will be some street-level retail, and possibly some direct connections to adjacent hotels, but this convention center will not become the new focus of downtown, and it will not be another city-financed mall because metro is still smarting from the failure of Church Street Center. The way metro sees it, better to build a mostly (or purely?) civic-purposed building and not take any flak for constantly loosing money, than attempting to build a money-maker, which would (necessarily) fall short of the goal.

seems like since a big draw for convention goers coming to this city is the music scene, having an underground hall, with a beautiful area for goers to hangout at night, with stages for local acts to play for them, fountains, etc would be quite a "fun experience" for those attending...and a great space for the city if done well...

The Sommet Center is built underground for the event and loading dock area as are many other facilities in the core. It can be built underground without any issues if they want to. I am not saing they will, just they can.

The Sommet Center is built underground for the event and loading dock area as are many other facilities in the core. It can be built underground without any issues if they want to. I am not saing they will, just they can.

there is also a tunnel going from the convention center to sommet. i believe it even has some shops in it. word on the street at least. well i guess that would be word under the street. i've never seen it for myself. i'm sure someone here has though.

*edit* found it. TUNNEL

Edited by satalac

nashwatcher--

I think that's a great idea about the music venue. Although I don't think that the Music City Center will be built underground, I do believe that an above ground facility with a public park on the roof, with music venues would be fantastic.

Bottom line, as long as the aesthetics of this Center are great, I think a public park on the roof with music attractions for tourists and residents would make this Center a great success.