Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

seems like since a big draw for convention goers coming to this city is the music scene, having an underground hall, with a beautiful area for goers to hangout at night, with stages for local acts to play for them, fountains, etc would be quite a "fun experience" for those attending...and a great space for the city if done well...

I think the Gibson Showcase would be a good fit, if brought over from Opry Mills.

I do wonder what they have done before working with keeping a street grid in place as so many people have voiced should be done, at least as much as possible.

\

One persistent thought I have had is to extend 6th and 7th through the CC as huge bridge structures that would support the convention hall roof almost column free while allowing pedestrians to cross through the uppermost part of the hall, only clearing the floor as required. These bridge structures could also be used to support operable partitions that subdivide the hall into three smaller spaces.

One persistent thought I have had is to extend 6th and 7th through the CC as huge bridge structures that would support the convention hall roof almost column free while allowing pedestrians to cross through the uppermost part of the hall, only clearing the floor as required. These bridge structures could also be used to support operable partitions that subdivide the hall into three smaller spaces.

Many have argued that the submerged hall (and by submerged, I really mean "tucked," as the slope of the site means that our underground hall would have street-level frontage on 5th Avenue) would be best capped by bridge-like structural systems. This includes not only 6th and 7th Avenues, as you have very insightfully pointed out, but also the main plaza itself and all other "rooftop" (and street-level!) public spaces could be supported by steel truss systems. In effect, the entire Main Plaza above the Great Hall would be a modest bridge. It could be done, and in my opinion, it should be done. The slope of the site is just too perfectly accommodating.

The Music City Center grassroots conceptual urban design study website, www.MCCproject.com, has been updated. It features a few new and updated renderings of the 3D design study model as well as a new section dedicated to architectural design precedents from around the world. Check it out!

Edited by NewTowner

Hey NewTowner, have you guys thought about sending some stuff to the architects now that they have been selected? I was looking at some of their portfolio and wasn't very impressed. I REALLY like the grassroots effort and design.

Edited by timmay143

Hey NewTowner, have you guys thought about sending some stuff to the architects now that they have been selected? I was looking at some of there portfolio and wasn't very impressed. I REALLY like the grassroots effort and design.

We may or may not have the opportunity to meet with the selected design firms. It would certainly be an honor to do so.

Thank you very much for the kind words on our efforts!

Friends,

I talked to TVS's Andy McLean for about 25-30 minutes for the column. He seems VERY down to earth and willing to listen to Moody Nolan and Tuck-Hinton officials. I detected no hint of ego, as is sometimes the case.

If you have not done so, check the TVS website to get an idea of the work this company has done. It seems Nashville will get a very eye-catching convention center.

WW/ESU

• 1 month later...

Here are a few more details:

MCC Public Input meeting will be August 14 at the TSU Avon Williams Campus at 5 PM. There will probably be 2 additional meetings after this one.

Do you think the public meetings will have any influence on the design, or is this just more of an information meeting to tell the public what's going on?

producer2-

When it says "public meeting" does this mean the meeting will be like the Bells Bend May Town Center meeting? I don't want all the Nashville City Paper posters all piling in with bloody $ sign T-shirts crying to the council that they are bleeding from the "taxes" they think might happen to build the convention center.

I hope people can generate creative ideas for the MCC. Hey Newtowner (I think you're partially responsible for the grassroots effort), this is the perfect opportunity to pitch your idea! I really hope it can be considered.

I was in Hartford, CT for a AIAA Joint Propulsion Conference a few weeks ago, and it looks like they had a pretty new convention center and hotel. The hotel was kinda bland (on the outside, the inside was great), about 300-400 ft (maybe, it's hard for me to tell), and a Marriott. The convention center was nice, but pretty conventional...hehe. It had some nice areas but didn't create much foot traffic for locals or conventioners (I think I made that word up). However, it was up against the interstate, and they were building a funky looking science museum next door which could be factors against pedestrian traffic. I just would like to see Nashville get something unique yet functional.

I do praise Hartford for having a FREE shuttle route that ran a loop around town. It was pretty decent because it hit the major hotels around town and some food spots in town, plus it was FREE and they had a couple of hydrogen cell powered buses/shuttles!! How freaking cool is that?? I will try to post some pictures later, I've been extremely busy!

If Nashville did get a center and hotel like Hartford's I would be disappointed, but just having that center there and the conventions and all the spending would definitely be nice for Nashville. Plus the center wasn't that bad, it was actually really nice. I would just rather have an actual center area that everyone could enjoy in some way.

Edited by timmay143

• 3 weeks later...

Last week was the public 'charrette' for the new convention center... an article in the Tennessean today

So far, i'm liking what the architects are saying...

"These are big buildings with a big footprint, and you have to be careful not to build something that's overwhelming to the street," McLean said during the session. Designers also don't want the building to be too "introverted," meaning it should have a clear relationship to the world outside its walls, so visitors always know they're in Nashville.

Also.. I was browsing through the Nashville MPO website.. their planned projects for the next 2-3 years.. and noticed Demonbreun is to be widened from 2 to 4 lanes.. from 10th ave to 1st ave, in conjunction with the new convention center. (TIP # 2008-12-029)

Is there really room to add 2 more additional lanes of traffic? And i'm not sure what that will do to the pedestrian friendliness of the street... if there is such a thing right now.

• 1 month later...