Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

Am I understanding correctly that they intend to raise the main hall high above the street to allow views of downtown? I wasn't expecting that, especially after the guys at the Charette proposed the underground hall.

I think there are several reasons for the elevation being discussed most prevalently. Cost is a factor, but the most important reason IMO is how they are looking at traffic flow, ingress and egress, etc. The idea of closing 7th and leaving 6th open and the addition of infill buildings on the KVB side lends itself to this elevation. This is not final but I would bet it is the path most want to take. This also allows for a parking garage of between 1000 and 1500 spaces and moving the NES substation just a few hundred feet using new technology and not having to pay a lot for an expensive move. If they did the hall all underground none of this is possible.

^^^ Probably the best idea. I hate reading comments after news articles whether it is about politics, sports, etc. Your always going to have people for and against something, then there are people who just fight everything. "No new this it will raise my taxes, no way your going to do that near my house, etc. etc." I wish people would stop being all about me, me, me. Sometimes your going to have to pay for something that doesn't directly benefit you in some way! I am being too harsh? Sorry, off the soapbox and back to the CC.

Thanks for your post on the NC page, producer2. It calmed my fears of a big box for the time being. I really liked the idea of the underground hall but understand it may not be the most cost effective or best method or only method at that. At least there seems to be a lot of effort into trying to please everyone and very careful thinking to try and cover all bases. Also, I really like the roundabout and agree it will help with the urban fabric by encouraging pedestrian friendliness, new developments, and aesthetics, especially with the Gulch close. Can't wait to hear and see more!

Thanks to everyone who has gone to the meetings and voiced your and our opinions! Keep up the good work!

edit: I forgot to mention. I love the newspaper post where someone assumes that the only conventions are John Deere tractor shows, gun shows, etc. I can't wait till the new CC pulls in the AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference or another AIAA Conference where you have hundreds of top aerospace industries, leading scientist and researchers, and bright young students enjoying our town. People really do not know what they are saying sometimes, do they?

Edited by timmay143

edit: I forgot to mention. I love the newspaper post where someone assumes that the only conventions are John Deere tractor shows, gun shows, etc. I can't wait till the new CC pulls in the AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference or another AIAA Conference where you have hundreds of top aerospace industries, leading scientist and researchers, and bright young students enjoying our town. People really do not know what they are saying sometimes, do they?

Those groups are closer to reality than you know! :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an article in the TN about the credit crunch and how it might affect the MCC. I think this thing will eventually get built. Like the article states, it will be six months at least before they are ready for financing. I have faith that in six months things will be ok enough. Hopefully, they (banks, CEO's, politicians, etc. whoever to blame) didn't screw things up too badly! If so, then well we have a lot more things to worry about than convention centers and buildings!

Convention center planning still on; building is another matter

The money is being pumped in because a massive deleveraging(sp?) is taking place. Financing will still be hard in 6 months, especially for a building as speculative as this.

I don't know that I would call it speculative. There is vast history of room nights and revenues going back for years as well as information of future bookings. Granted there will be some attrition but at least you will now that the profile for groups will be at a specific minimum and maximum. It may not pay for everything but I would guess it would cover at least 85% of the costs using the current trends and I suspect that is much better than any office or residential project can give factual history on.

Edited by producer2

• 1 month later...

With Nashville hosting the 2014 Womens Final Four, what kind of impact do you think it will have on the funding for the Music City Center?

Metro Council still needs to give final approval to the convention center, so does the economic boost Nashville's hotel industry will get in 2014 give Council more hope that the hotel/motel tax could completely finance the convention center?

Edited by nashvylle

With Nashville hosting the 2014 Womens Final Four, what kind of impact do you think it will have on the funding for the Music City Center?

Metro Council still needs to give final approval to the convention center, so does the economic boost Nashville's hotel industry will get in 2014 give Council more hope that the hotel/motel tax could completely finance the convention center?

As quoted on the Charette, although it was discussed at the press conference but unreported by local media the deal for the 2014 Womens Final Four is contingent on having the MCC open by the time the event comes to town. If we don't build it they are not coming......

Hopefully, by 2014 we will have the new CC and a decent transportation system for all the visitors to use and the nation to see!

Hopefully we are all around to see 2014, since most believe the apocalypse will come in 2012... Hah. That was funny and way off topic, my apologies. I think that by 2014, a LOT of things will have happened to our city that we can showcase to the rest of the world. Albeit only 5 years and change out, it's plenty of time to get many projects completed.

• 5 weeks later...

I believe council has a final vote in the spring of 2009. Is that right producer2?

Yes, it is a vote on funding, not whether to build the MCC or not. That has already been approved by council and work has started. Hopefully first shovel will turn in late summer or early fall.

Edited by producer2

I think two twenty-story buildings would do the new 600+ million dollar convention center an architectural disservice. Please go with one forty-story building. It would go much nicer with a convention center with that price tag. Two twenty-story buildings with a 600+ million dollar convention center is like wearing flip flops with a ten thousand dollar mink coat.

There will be other hotels, I would assume. We could end up with 4 or 5 significant structures (20 +/- storys) in this area in the next few years. I'm OK with that. And they will put feet on the street and bring in new money.

That would be quite an impact and create a demand for other services such as retail and entertainment. Sobro will be so different. Look at what a difference a decade can make.