Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

I think two twenty-story buildings would do the new 600+ million dollar convention center an architectural disservice. Please go with one forty-story building. It would go much nicer with a convention center with that price tag. Two twenty-story buildings with a 600+ million dollar convention center is like wearing flip flops with a ten thousand dollar mink coat.

Perhaps it would be two 20 story buildings atop a 4-7 level above grade garage and 1 level of ground level retail/lobby/loading/service, so each tower could be closer to 350-400' tall, each just a bit shorter than the Pinnacle, but with the elevation change might appear close in height to the Pinnacle. 150-200' taller than the Encore and 200-250' taller than the CC building itself.

The planning department, with the proposed Form Based Code they will push later in 2009, is considering a cap on SoBro buildings of 30 stories (no floor to floor height cap, just number of floors). Special bonuses are available for LEED or affordable housing.

It will be very interesting to see the proposed designs mid-spring.

Edited by hayesmw

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning, everyone,

I am new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Amanda and I work for MDHA's public relations firm, McNeely Pigott & Fox. I am here as a resource to you all on the MCC project.

I have a couple of new things to share:

1. The next public meeting has been announced. It will be on Thursday, Jan. 29, at 8:30 a.m., at the Adventure Science Center. The design team will be unveiling the preliminary designs for the MCC at this meeting.

2. MDHA has created a Web site completely devoted to its Diversity Business Enterprise Program. Please visit www.musiccitycenterdbe.com for more information about DBE opportunities.

The main convention center Web site, www.nashvillemusicitycenter.com, is another great resource for more information. I will be on here pretty frequently if you have any questions or comments, or you can also e-mail me at [email protected].

- Amanda

Thank you so much Amanda and welcome to the forum. I love your username too.

I am a big music city center supporter, and I hope the center and hotel are built. I wish I could make it to the public meeting January 29th, but I am eager to see the preliminary designs for the center (I hope they are welcoming to the area of SOBRO opposite of downtown).

Do you know when the final approval is for the MCC?

Nashvylle,

MDHA plans to present the final design to Mayor Dean and the Council in the Spring, and then begin construction later this year.

Thank you for your support. If you have not done so already, you can e-mail [email protected] to sign up for our supporter's list.

We will be posting some slides from the public meeting to our Web site. I will be sure to post the link here when they are up.

There is a typo for the main MCC website. It is missing a 'c' for 'musiccity'. Can't blame you, all those words run together! www.nashvillemusiccitycenter.com

Amanda, is there anyway we can talk you into (or send the message) building a really tall CC hotel? :)

The mass transit issue is a whole separate beast from the MCC. But I can tell you that public transportation has been a consideration in the location and design. At one of the public meetings, Seab Tuck identified the several key site influences including connecting the the MCC with a greenway to the Gulch and to the Pedestrian bridge, and a trolley route around downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering, producer2 or Amanda maybe, if anyone knows our chances of getting the NHL Allstar game with the new CC one year? I am watching this years, and it would be cool to see in Nashville.

From a facility side you would have the space much like the Womens Final Four which is still contingent on having the MCC built. I do not know the requirements for available hotel rooms, etc. but we would be one step closer.

Good morning,

I just wanted to remind you all the next public meeting is tomorrow at 8:30 a.m., at the Adventure Science Center. The design team will be sharing the preliminary designs and some news regarding the KVB side of the building.

I hope you can all make it. I will be toward the front somewhere with a laptop and Flip camera - come say hi!

If you cannot make it, I will be posting live updates to our Twitter page from the meeting - http://twitter.com/supportmcc. We will also post some of the slides, photos and video from the meeting on our Web site, www.nashvillemusiccitycenter.com, and Facebook group, http://tinyurl.com/aeoumw.