Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

Is that supposed to be a guitar face on the roof? I know it's called the music city center (tentatively anyway) but do we have to go down the lets make buildings look like instruments (like the arena) road again?

i can kinda see that, but i'm not sure if that's what they were meaning for. i'm still waiting to see more pictures and hear more information about it. from what i see so far i like it. not what i expected, but not offensive either. btw, what other buildings besides the country music hall of fame have the "looks like instruments" look?

i can kinda see that, but i'm not sure if that's what they were meaning for. i'm still waiting to see more pictures and hear more information about it. from what i see so far i like it. not what i expected, but not offensive either. btw, what other buildings besides the country music hall of fame have the "looks like instruments" look?

Sorry I should have said music themed instead of instrument themed. I just hope we end up with something world class architecturally.

Sorry I should have said music themed instead of instrument themed. I just hope we end up with something world class architecturally.

oh ok. i honestly don't mind if the convention center is music themed. it's one of the buildings that would make sense. i mean we have to face it, what is the real honest to goodness reason nashville is famous? music. plus it's right next to the symphony center and the country music hall of fame. as long as it's not the only focus of the building i see no problem with it myself.

Edited by satalac

Just a quick note about it looking plain. Seab and Andy mentioned that what was shown today is preliminary and is focused on the bigger aspects of the building - movement through the building, floor plans, sight lines, etc. They will now take feedback from today's meeting and move into the more detailed things like the exterior, commercial fronts, etc. There are many more pictures than what the Tennessean ran this morning. I will have them on the Web site this afternoon.

The roof is not meant to look like a guitar. The curves are meant to reflect the hills of Middle Tennessee. The green space down the middle is just to illustrate that there will be a green roof, it will not necessarily all be green in color.

I will post more later this afternoon. I am trying to get our Web site updated with the slides, photos and video from the meeting. I just wanted to check in. I'll let you guys know when everything is up so you can check it out if you missed the meeting.

Just a quick note about it looking plain. Seab and Andy mentioned that what was shown today is preliminary and is focused on the bigger aspects of the building - movement through the building, floor plans, sight lines, etc. They will now take feedback from today's meeting and move into the more detailed things like the exterior, commercial fronts, etc. There are many more pictures than what the Tennessean ran this morning. I will have them on the Web site this afternoon.

The roof is not meant to look like a guitar. The curves are meant to reflect the hills of Middle Tennessee. The green space down the middle is just to illustrate that there will be a green roof, it will not necessarily all be green in color.

I will post more later this afternoon. I am trying to get our Web site updated with the slides, photos and video from the meeting. I just wanted to check in. I'll let you guys know when everything is up so you can check it out if you missed the meeting.

ahhh - so you're saying "preliminary" means "preliminary"? And the Tennessean shorted us on photo coverage? Oh dear! Thanks - looking forward to the site updates - had already scoured the site and couldn't find a thing!!

For those looking for a more classical approach you will be disappointed. Having said that the proposed lines of this building do an excellent job of keeping it from looking like a big box which was of major concern to many in the earlystages of discussion. The architects took liberties from the rolling hills of the area, and the curves in musical instruments in the design of the building. When you see more of the pictures you can make your own determination but personally I think they have done an excellent job with the overall design taking into account the actual usage of the facility with the overall design. There are 3 major entry/ vehicle drop off points on 5th, Demonbreun, and 6th (midway through the building) and have realigned some of the space on the KVB side to give it more vitality out of the box. They are in discussion with The Musicians Hall of Fame to potentially take the space at the 8th and KVB end of the building as well. Hopefully you all will be able to get some good looks and info from today's meeting.

Edited by producer2

OK, we have some stuff up on the Web site for you all to check out. http://www.nashvillemusiccitycenter.com/aboutUs/design.php.

Videos are loading to Facebook now. When I am done, there will be five, so check back if you only see a couple now. It is not the whole presentation, just little snippets. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=52297878199.

I want to hear all of your feedback. I will compile everything and send over to MDHA at the end of the week.

They announced today some new things to ensure activation on the KVB side of the building, which was a direct result of feedback from previous public meetings. So, they are listening, just send me brief specific things and i will make sure it gets passed along. I'll be pulling things off of here, but you can also e-mail me directly at [email protected].

OK, we have some stuff up on the Web site for you all to check out. http://www.nashvillemusiccitycenter.com/aboutUs/design.php.

Videos are loading to Facebook now. When I am done, there will be five, so check back if you only see a couple now. It is not the whole presentation, just little snippets. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=52297878199.

I want to hear all of your feedback. I will compile everything and send over to MDHA at the end of the week.

They announced today some new things to ensure activation on the KVB side of the building, which was a direct result of feedback from previous public meetings. So, they are listening, just send me brief specific things and i will make sure it gets passed along. I'll be pulling things off of here, but you can also e-mail me directly at [email protected].

It would be great to have a link to larger versions of the images. They are pretty hard to read on the screen with the size you have posted. Thanks.

First, I want to say thanks to Amanda and please tell everyone that we know how hard they worked and there are lots of good things about the building in terms of flow and green roof, etc.

And I hate to be negative, but the design is just definitely missing the Wow factor. There doesn't appear to be anything new about it. In fact, the decorative supports on the Demonbreun Street View look 1960's ish and the building just looks dated. It seems an odd mix of trying to blend in and be contemporary, but just played it too safe. Why not have them push themselves for something that will make the world take notice that Nashville is the next big thing. Make it so that people would want to come here to see this thing.

The front doesn't look tall enough or with enough windows. It looks like it might be forboding looking and not open and inviting. Why not go with huge high windows going to an apex of some sort. Obviously, it's easy for me to just comment on someone else's hard work, but I have to say that I am disappointed in something that just won't be special.

Why not something they can remember, such as http://www.davinciinstitute.com/new/admin/...%20star%201.jpg or http://constructionblog.org/wp-content/upl...on-center-1.jpg or http://www.hokvenue.com/images/hok_venue/illu_venue.jpg or http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/04...ention.irpt.jpg or http://www.essential-architecture.com/TYPE/exhib(7).jpg

I don't necessarily mean that these buildings are perfect or the direction to go. I just mean they are visually memorable in one way or another.

Just my thoughts...

Edited by NashDevelopment

Well, it's not bad. I do appreciate that they're going to great pains to not cut off KVB and 8th, but I was hoping for something... more. I was hoping for a Southern building that seemed more Nashville, but you can't please everyone. I would've loved something red or dark brick with white columns, and a big porch that would go around a fair bit of it the center make it seem inviting, but the rolling hills are a cool element to bring in. I feel like this is something that'll look kinda odd when you see it, but will make sense once you see it (i.e. Country Music HOF, Sommet, etc) as opposed to something more Classic or Southern (new library, Schermerhorn, etc). I wish it could've drawn inspiration from the Commons at Vandy, not the CMHOF or that convention center in Puerto Rico.

Edited by franktown

I must say I'm impressed with the loading docks. Trucks apparently enter from from KVB, travel up a loop ramp with-in the building and back into one of the 30+ bays suitable for tractor trailors. Once unloaded they they go down the bay area to a cul-de-sac (all within the building) where they turn around, head west out of the bays, down the ramp and back out onto KVB.

Neat!

Are they not re-opening 6th Ave? I thought that had been announced as part of the plan. Maybe I was dreaming.

I can't wait to see more detail, to really get an idea of what this will look like. The model obviously doesnt show details of materials used, and how they will actually look. I like the overall shape of it, with the wavy lines and what not. As others have said, it would be nice to have more of a 'wow factor'. What is the planned about ground height? Any idea?

What was announced regarding activation of KVB? The model makes it look like a long brick wall, which would be unfortunate.

Regarding the height of the building - I don't know the exact numbers, but it will be taller than both the arena and the CMHOF. The actual above ground height will vary because of the slope of SoBro.

6th will remain open, it will run through the building. They have incorporated a big drop off area on 6th for tour buses, vans, etc.

The new KVB announcements were the movement of the MCC administrative offices to that side and that MDHA is working with the Musicians Hall of Fame to hopefully relocate them to that side also, down near the 8th Ave proposed roundabout. There will also be retail, entrances into the center from KVB and access to the rooftop ballrooms. The brick wall you see in the pictures is not indicative of what it will look like.

These designs are still in the early stages. They focused on the layout, movement in the building, sightlines back to the skyline, etc. At the next public meeting you will get to see a much more accurate representation of what the finished product will look like.

My favorite thing so far is the set up along Demonbreun and all of the natural light. That whole side will be floor-to-ceiling windows with great views of the city. This is where the main escalators will be located (there will be vertical movement elsewhere also) and all floors will open up to this area. The architects really wanted a bulding that will make people feel like they are in Nashville while inside. So many convention centers are like dark holes with no natural light or really any sense of what city you are in. Even the exhibit hall will have a glazed wall along 8th to allow in natural light.

The loading docks are a great feature, PHofKS. They have combined the docks with the arena's docks also. So instead of having trucks coming in on KVB for the MCC and Demonbreun for the arena, all will come through the MCC KVB entrance. There will be off-site marshalling to make sure there are not back-ups on KVB or trucks blocking the retail on KVB.

My only wish is that it could somehow not be a big box dropped into SoBro...but alas...it's still a big box. It has some neat concessions (like the tunnel for 6th Avenue...and the wall of windows...and some of the curvature)...but...it's still a box. I guess there's really no way to NOT make it a box...so maybe I'm being unrealistic. I wish they would at least make some type of public area at the corner of 5th and Demonbreun...something similar to a park or gathering area...but I guess that would just take away from their sq. footage.

So...I'm just kinda...waiting to see what happens next.

Was there any discussion about the convention center hotel? I'm wondering if they decided to go with two twenty-story buildings or one forty-story building.

There hasn't been any decision on hotel height at this point. There should be news on that front in February or early March. The only discussion about the hotel yesterday was just regarding the potential sites and that the hotel construction will run parallel to the MCC construction. If you look at the images on our site you can see the little models for potential hotels. This is not necessarily what they will look like, just where they would be. http://www.nashvillemusiccitycenter.com/aboutUs/design.php

Thanks Amanda for the feedback about height, light and windows. I am hopeful and open to the final designs. I just want to gently push them further and further into making the building different and special, not just safe and total blending. I think it is okay that it stands on its own as a really interesting building that make people take a second look.

Take care.