Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

This is also in the report but I did not see anyone quote this...

No Site is Perfect

We should bear in mind that there will be no perfect site− any site will have relative

strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and risks.

Site Selection Involves Speculation

Site selection is as much an art as a science, and involves some degree of speculation.

For example, while the building of new mixed-use residential towers in SoBro can be

forecast for the coming decade, and therefore, forgoing the building of such towers on

the proposed SoBro convention center site may be considered an

This is also in the report but I did not see anyone quote this...

No Site is Perfect

We should bear in mind that there will be no perfect site− any site will have relative

strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and risks.

Site Selection Involves Speculation

Site selection is as much an art as a science, and involves some degree of speculation.

For example, while the building of new mixed-use residential towers in SoBro can be

forecast for the coming decade, and therefore, forgoing the building of such towers on

the proposed SoBro convention center site may be considered an

The design recommendation addressed "residential scale expression", not actual residences. :hi:

I was referring to this:

2) That the Fifth Avenue, Gateway Boulevard and Eighth Avenue sides of the site are lined with on-grade commercial space and with six residential floors above (seven floors total).

I don't see how the above quote detracts from what I've posted at all. No, there is no guarantee that that will be developed in the coming decade, but nonetheless their recommendations are being ignored - and to the general detriment as a result.

You should probably be more specific in what you are looking for. So far the residential liner buildings are not included. What else?

Edited by producer2

I posted this to the Charrette also, I just wanted to make sure I reached everyone...

I have been talking with MDHA, Seab Tuck and Terry Clements from the CVB today about the comments and concerns you all have voiced here. In an attempt to give you all of the facts and answers to your questions, I'd like to invite you all to come to the McNeely Pigott & Fox offices to meet with Seab and Terry. They will present our speakers bureau presentation which lays out all of the facts on the economic development/tourism aspect and the design side of things. Following that, we will have plenty of time for Q&A and discussion. Seab and Terry know this project inside and out. I would love for you all to make it.

Friday, Feb. 27, at 8:30 a.m.

611 Commerce Street, Ste. 2800

(Top of the Renaissance Hotel)

Please let me know if you able to attend. Send me a message on here or e-mail me, [email protected].

I want to answer all of your questions, but there are just some things I don't have the design or econ development background needed to do so, that is why I have asked Seab and Tuck to meet with you all independently of the public meetings.

I will re-post this as a reminder in the coming weeks.

You should probably be more specific in what you are looking for. So far the residential liner buildings are not included. What else?

I'm sorry, I was mostly replying to the quote you posted. The CDC did suggest street-level retail on 5th and 8th; while I know you said that the anchor hotel will likely include this, I feel that 5th and 8th need as much stimulation as they can get. I say that because the stretch of 5th Avenue where the CC will be faces a blank CMHOF facade.

I also thought this tidbit was important:

"These liner buildings should have a strong feeling of openness to interesting commercial

uses activating adjacent sidewalks as a pedestrian experience, with residential

accommodations above to match the prevailing context. In SoBro, that currently calls

for a seven-story maximum block, before twenty-foot setbacks are required. The

purpose of the liner building is to 1) conceal the potential lack of scale of the big box

programmatic elements; 2) to increase the number of residents living in the

neighborhood (some in affordable units); and 3) to contribute to the property tax base

in the downtown....By utilizing

I'm sorry, I was mostly replying to the quote you posted. The CDC did suggest street-level retail on 5th and 8th; while I know you said that the anchor hotel will likely include this, I feel that 5th and 8th need as much stimulation as they can get. I say that because the stretch of 5th Avenue where the CC will be faces a blank CMHOF facade.

I also thought this tidbit was important:

"These liner buildings should have a strong feeling of openness to interesting commercial

uses activating adjacent sidewalks as a pedestrian experience, with residential

accommodations above to match the prevailing context. In SoBro, that currently calls

for a seven-story maximum block, before twenty-foot setbacks are required. The

purpose of the liner building is to 1) conceal the potential lack of scale of the big box

programmatic elements; 2) to increase the number of residents living in the

neighborhood (some in affordable units); and 3) to contribute to the property tax base

in the downtown....By utilizing

Good morning,

I have some high-res versions of the floor plans now so you all can see everything in more detail. Unfortunately the files are too large to post to our Web site without slowing down the site too much. Instead, I have uploaded them to our ftp site. Let me know if you have any trouble. You should be able to zoom in enough to read everything.

http://review.mpf.com/uploads/MusicCityCenterPlans

Please keep in mind, these floor plans are not final.

Edited by SupportMCC

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning,

I just wanted to remind you all that Seab Tuck and Terry Clements will be here at 8:30 this Friday to talk with you about the project. I promise to not make you sign in or tell me who you are. I would just love for you all to hear the facts straight from the experts and be able to ask them all of your questions. The details are below. I hope to see you Friday morning.

8:30a

611 Commerce St., Suite 2800 (Top of the Renaissance Hotel)

Go to the third floor of the Renaissance Hotel, there is a separate bank of elevators for the office suites. It says Tower Office Suites or something on the wall. We are on the 28th floor, the receptionist will direct you to the meeting room.

For those that cannot make it, I will post a recap on here Friday afternoon.

Haha...this would be sweet! Found this while surfing the Nashville Predators message boards. Speaking of Nashville Predators, what a game last Saturday!!!!

Mayor Dean pitches hosting 2015 NHL All-star Game to commissioner

Blurb:

Mayor Dean pitches hockey commissioner on hosting 2015 All-Star Game

By MICHAEL CASS

Well.. now what?

Bus station not allowed to relocate because of crime

btw, how did the meeting go? too bad I had to work..

Crime shime... It's not like Murfreesboro Rd is exactly Nashville's little Garden of Eden. I recall hearing that Greyhound had another location in mind in case Murfreesboro Rd didn't work out but they didn't disclose where.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Metro may soon buy land for convention center

I'm still a little unclear on exactly which businesses will be forced out, and why. Driving through the area.. it seems to me that some of the businesses on the south side could stay put even with the KVB extension?

My only real issue with this is that I do not want to see buildings torn down which do not need to be torn down.. or can be built around.. assuming they are worth keeping. We've already had enough of this in Nashville as it is.

They will go over budget on land. Just from reading the article you can tell Metro's expectations psf are not going to match the land owners. Let's guess the final price tag. I say nearly 800 million. This convention center at this time is such a bad idea.

Many would argue that now is the best time, including two indepent local economists that were quoted in a recent article. The budgeting is almost complete and it will not be anything close to the 800 million you predict. I am also confident that MDHA has had preliminary discussions with many of these landowners. I doubt there will be too many surprises.

Many would argue that now is the best time, including two indepent local economists that were quoted in a recent article. The budgeting is almost complete and it will not be anything close to the 800 million you predict. I am also confident that MDHA has had preliminary discussions with many of these landowners. I doubt there will be too many surprises.

I haven't been on here in a long while. I wish I'd kept the NYT story in which states all around were finding that construction cos. seeking road work were bidding 20-30% below expected cost. The result seems to be that states saving money now may be able to do more projects with stimulus money that had been shelved previously. Point being, the same is likely to happen on MCC. I wrote that in a column a few weeks ago.