Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

You forgot to quote this part:

"Under Dean's proposal, the Metro Development and Housing Agency would borrow money from banks to pay for land purchases and relocations of a few businesses in the convention center footprint south of Sommet Center and First Baptist Church. It would repay the loans with revenue already being collected to pay for the project, such as hotel room fees and other tourist taxes.

If the council eventually votes against building the convention center, the city will own about 18 acres of land but should be able to repay its debt with no trouble, officials said. "

My only question is Tower's involvement... are we buying the land from Tower to allow them to build and operate it? Producer2, can you clarify for me?

I am not sure either. It does not make sense the way it is written. It (the article) has never appeared in print. I would wait until Monday and see what is actually proposed. There are probably a million different scenarios. One would e to own the land and lease it back ensuring that there your anchor property was in your control. Maybe Nvestnbna can shed some light.

Producer...I know you've probably been asked this a million times, but who's on the short list of potential hotel operators and what's the expected height of this hotel?

I have heard there is either going to be two 20 story hotels, or one 40 story hotel. Reading this article, it seems that there will only be one hotel site, and I don't think that site is large enough to hold two hotels. So... one 40 story?

I think it would be safe to say the major brands such as Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, etc. are on the short list. I am not sure which 2 but if it were my decision it would be a mid-level, not high end property. Also there will only be one anchor, but I think you will see at least two if not three new hotels in the area.

I think it would be safe to say the major brands such as Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, etc. are on the short list. I am not sure which 2 but if it were my decision it would be a mid-level, not high end property. Also there will only be one anchor, but I think you will see at least two if not three new hotels in the area.

Well, I do remember a short time back about the W off-brand Aloft wanting to put a hotel downtown near 8th and Lafayette with hedged bets on the MCC, so that would be 1 additional. I doubt seriously, that if a 30-40 story hotel went up and an additional mid-rise went up, we would get a 3rd property dedicated to lodging down there. I agree with your assessment that Hyatt and Marriott are on the short list. I wouldn't doubt if Westin is on that list, either - per the trouble of the 2nd Ave hotel.

Or, maybe this MCC brings the 2nd Ave Westin to life again :D

I haven't been on here in a long while. I wish I'd kept the NYT story in which states all around were finding that construction cos. seeking road work were bidding 20-30% below expected cost. The result seems to be that states saving money now may be able to do more projects with stimulus money that had been shelved previously. Point being, the same is likely to happen on MCC. I wrote that in a column a few weeks ago.

This is very true. The cost of construction has fallen dramatically over the past year and continues to fall. Rebar costs are less that half mid-2008 prices, and many other types of steel all down nearly half as well. Construction companies are bidding jobs extremely low, knowing that there just aren't that many jobs to bid on. They figure that if they they don't get the contract, it just might mean they could go out of business. Costs for MCC could be considerably lower than what was forecast a year ago.

Good morning,

Sorry I have been m.i.a. for awhile. As you all know, things are really heating up again, so I should have more updates for you in the coming weeks. I wanted to let you all know I will be tweeting from the council meeting tonight as MDHA makes its presentation.

The meeting starts at 5p, you can follow the updates here: twitter.com/SupportMCC

I will also have some new renderings and other things to post to our Web site tomorrow. I'll let you all know as soon as everything is up.

www.nashvillemusiccitycenter.com

Looks way better in color.

Beyond that, i'd be happy to have this in downtown.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ga...3003&Ref=PH

I agree. I like it much better now. Anyone know if the buildings in the background are actual planned buildings or just some that were tossed in to make the surrounding area look more appealing?

I still hope the the hotel(s) are a bit taller. Perhaps we're destined to be a city with a short and flat skyline. I wouldn't have a problem with that if we had great density and a lot of stunning architecture. I don't believe we have either at the moment.

Edited by ariesjow

hopefully those in charge will put plenty of thought into stimulating areas south of KVB, so this big center doesn't kill potential development...i believe those buildings you see, and more, will become a reality if proper investment is made in making the surrounding streets really nice and pedestrian friendly...and encouraging development with tax incentives...this whole area could be developed beautifully in the next 15 yrs if planned properly...and NOW is the time for that planning with the MCC coming...

fingers crossed

I agree. I like it much better now. Anyone know if the buildings in the background are actual planned buildings or just some that were tossed in to make the surrounding area look more appealing?

I still hope the the hotel(s) are a bit taller. Perhaps we're destined to be a city with a short and flat skyline. I wouldn't have a problem with that if we had great density and a lot of stunning architecture. I don't believe we have either at the moment.

I like the newest renderings. Hopefully, this will integrate into the city fabric once it is built. Can't wait for the NHL All-Star events, SEC events, other national sports events, and AIAA conferences!!

Have they thought about placing solar panels on the roof?

• 3 weeks later...

This article in support of the MCC sums up my thoughts.

http://tennessean.com/article/20090503/OPINION01/905030376

I just have to laugh at some of the comments posted after the articles. This project is pretty much a no brainer but many will try and find a way to make it a negative. I grew up in a city (Louisville) that was totally non progressive and it has cost them dearly in terms of growth, etc. I would hate to see Nashville make the same mistake when they have the table set up for a run. I agree with this article as well.

I just have to laugh at some of the comments posted after the articles. This project is pretty much a no brainer but many will try and find a way to make it a negative. I grew up in a city (Louisville) that was totally non progressive and it has cost them dearly in terms of growth, etc. I would hate to see Nashville make the same mistake when they have the table set up for a run. I agree with this article as well.

Dude, you are talking about spending nearly a billion dollars in an industry that faces a very uncertain future. I know that at my company the first thing we cut back was travel and conventions. Plus you are taking prime land away from possible future development (as well as the property tax dollars from those sites).

Dude, you are talking about spending nearly a billion dollars in an industry that faces a very uncertain future. I know that at my company the first thing we cut back was travel and conventions. Plus you are taking prime land away from possible future development (as well as the property tax dollars from those sites).

A billion dollars? $595 M + land + the rest of errors and details wouldn't push more than $700 M. That's still a far cry from $1b. Beyond that, the industry will always live on, just because we have been in a recession for a little more than a year does not trigger death.

Here is my history repeats itself data: 1990. 1977. 2003. Check the convention history in those years (those that immediately follow recessions) and you'd see that though it was down when there wasn't money, there is always the pick-me-up afterward for the convention industry.

You anti-conventioners want something to complain about? Complain about TVA hiking rates soon to clean up their monopolized mess in ET

As much as I am in support of this.. it still bothers me that they will surely be tearing down some old buildings that could be worth saving.

Still can't seem to get anyone to tell me which ones are actually coming down..

As much as I am in support of this.. it still bothers me that they will surely be tearing down some old buildings that could be worth saving.

Still can't seem to get anyone to tell me which ones are actually coming down..

I can take pics the next time I am down there if you wish?