Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

I noticed the mention of $300,000,000 for the hotel portion. While it is only a mention I would think that would be QUITE a hotel considering it costs as much as Signature Tower. My bet is if built that portion would have to be at least 50 stories and probably 500-600+ feet tall. (a legitimate 600 feet unlike the two spikes on the Batman Building).

I noticed that... I think it's overestimated. $300m would mean that it's using as much marble as Schemmerhorn has on it's floors and banisters. Not to mention construction costs are so low right now - but maybe there is a point in all this. Overestimation riles up the nay-sayers, then, surprise when it comes out cheaper. But yeah, $300m, if fulfilled, says to me a 550'-625' Grand Hyatt. Or the cost is for a 400' at best Ritz.

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

This week, purchase offers for land begin to go out.

$75 million loan available to fund buying of 15.87 acres of land.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090804...nvention+center

And let the flying begin about how Metro paid $4mil for it a few years back, and how they will use all $75mil to buy it back... because fair value+buyout commission is going to equal all of that money, instead of maybe $30-$40 million.

And let the flying begin about how Metro paid $4mil for it a few years back, and how they will use all $75mil to buy it back... because fair value+buyout commission is going to equal all of that money, instead of maybe $30-$40 million.

Just remember if all is done correctly THEY won't be paying for anything. The tax fund created to pay for it will. Still it would be great if it cost less....

• 3 weeks later...

I know offers went out on properties this week and the offer for the AutoHaus was about a half million short of what it will cost them to move the business. I am afraid there will be lawsuits that hold this thing up even longer. The council , MDHA and who ever else is going to slow this down for months if they are not careful.

Here is the article about the offers:

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=11005875

"MDHA said they will continue to work with Fischer to reach an agreement. They've even offered to pay all of Fischer's moving expenses and pledges a commitment to minimizing the disruption of his business."

They (the city) will do the right thing IF it is a realistic scenario. I am sure that Mr. Fischer is sincere. I hope all landowners are the same through this process.

I assume the City can exercise condemnation proceedings and get rights of entry to keep the property acquisition on schedule. The only thing left to settle in court would be the price of the land and when a landowner brings the government in front of a jury, the landowner usually wins. The initial project property acquisition estimates are usually low-balled for purposes of establishing a negotiating starting point and to attract funding approval. The reality is often something drastically different.

Wish I did but it is all up to the City and how swiftly they move forward. I feel like (no real facts to support this) that we will see a final vote before Thanksgiving although some Council members have said they think during the Christmas Holiday time period.

Edited by producer2

• 2 months later...

More convention center drama.. i'm not sure what to think of all this.. i'd hate to lose the Musician's Hall of Fame, especially when the new convention center is not even approved yet!

Musicians Hall of Fame, Nashville landowners fight eminent domain

You have to get to the end of the article to get the real meat and potatoes... and I quote...

Chambers, who flew to Los Angeles last week to talk about the possibility of moving the hall of fame there, said he hopes he can keep it here, even at the expense of finding an interim site for the next three years. And he hopes the convention center will get built no matter what.

"I'd like nothing better for the museum than to see it go in the convention center," he said Friday. "There are a lot of cities that would like to have a venue like this as a draw. But Nashville is Nashville, and the reason we opened up here in the first place is that it's Nashville."

He is clearly looking for more money as is Tower, etc., he will not move this somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

With the announcement of the medical mart, the Metro council will have to approve the CC rather quickly now that they have a real incentive to do so. I think things will move a lot faster now. The Medical mart will squash any nay Sayers because of the taxes that will be generated by the Med mart and the new CC combined. Besides, who wants to turn down 2600 permanent jobs in a down economy

With the announcement of the medical mart, the Metro council will have to approve the CC rather quickly now that they have a real incentive to do so. I think things will move a lot faster now. The Medical mart will squash any nay Sayers because of the taxes that will be generated by the Med mart and the new CC combined. Besides, who wants to turn down 2600 permanent jobs in a down economy

Well it appears we have begun a rat race here, with Cleveland and New York among others, who are planning on building similar venues like the MedMart. I'm intrigued by what is going to happen tonight at the Metro Council meeting!

NBJ on MCC

Well it appears we have begun a rat race here, with Cleveland and New York among others, who are planning on building similar venues like the MedMart. I'm intrigued by what is going to happen tonight at the Metro Council meeting!

NBJ on MCC

Mayor Dean just announced that he will not include the proposed hotel in the funding request. He will depend on private developers to meet whatever needs there may be for such a facility.

Mayor Dean just announced that he will not include the proposed hotel in the funding request. He will depend on private developers to meet whatever needs there may be for such a facility.

Not quite, he is looking for private investment and has time to do so because the hotel can be built in 2 years instead of 3. If none are found he still has the option to build it and have it be City owned. He would prefer to not be in that position but the administration understands the need for the hotel to make the MCC more attractive.

• 1 month later...

The CC vote passed the Metro Council. Construction is to start in 2-3 months and be done by 2013. I was personally in favor of the project. I think it will be a big boost if done right, especially with the Medical Mart moving in the old CC.

Nashville will build new convention hall downtown

JANUARY 19, 2010

Nashville2_bing.gif will build a $585 million convention center just south of the downtown arena, the Metro Council decided tonight.

The 1.2 million-square-foot facility is scheduled to open in the first quarter of 2013, with construction starting in 60 to 90 days.

The council's 29-9 vote ended a contentious debate about the city's ability to draw enough convention-goers and other visitors to pay off debt that will approach $40 million a year most years. If the visitor revenues fall short of projections, the city might have to tap certain revenues from its general fund, though property taxes can't be used on the project.

Some other cities have struggled to find the demand to fill their convention space. But Mayor Karl Dean's2_bing.gif administration said the revenue projections were conservative.

Edited by timmay143
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few things to bring everyone up to date on this. Tower Development lost the fight for the property they own and have to give it to the city. The question is the price. The strip club on 8th is now settled. The NES substation is going where Rocket Town is. There are construction trailers behind the Greyhound station and demolition on some properties will start soon. All Metro parking lots are now closed. I know I am probably missing a few items but I sure one of you guys will correct it.