Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

I just dont want to see anymore historic propery torn down in the Central Business District. There have been 100's of buildings lost. Most of where the towers are used to be hotels. Tony Giarratanna regrets tearing down the Tennessee theater for the Cumberland now. Mayor Purcell wanted the city to purchase Mckendree or the Baptist church to expand. I would hate to see historic churches torn down.

• 1 year later...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone willing to question the assumption that any city needs a new convention center?

Studies came out recently describing convention-center-mania as pie in the sky.

Tourism and convention centers create a lot of low-paying jobs anyway, and are ultimately a form of corporate welfare. Perhaps the city would be better off using the funds to work on light rail, neighborhood redevelopment, etc.

There is no such thing as corporate welfare. I guess only those people that have high paying jobs look down on those with low paying jobs.

Tourism also brings in revenue to businesses and in the form of tax revenue from outside the city. This is good money because it is from outside the city rather than just shifting money around from inside the city. You would rather have the government spend tax money rather than bring in tax money?

Tell me which neighboorhoods have asked to be redeveloped by the government and which neighboorhoods have asked for light rail. People don't take the bus now. What makes anyone think they would take a bus on rails?

If I remember correctly, for every dollar spent generates 8 to 10 more dollars. This would be in restaurants, bars, shops, gas, etc. I will take the tax off those out of towners in the tax coffers any day.

These may be lower paying jobs, but in the economy in Nashville now the low paying jobs are 8 to 10 an hour. There are not a lot of min. wage jobs out there. I may be wrong but don

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not really informed about the CC debate in Nashville, so pardon me if this is old news, but I found this on bidclerk today

"Site work and new construction of a convention center in Nashville. Design plans are calling for a 105-acre site at an existing facility to house a 400-room hotel and approximately 400,000 square feet of convention, exhibit and ballroom space.

Construction is expected to commence in summer 2008. Interested parties should direct inquiries to the owner. "

The facts are consistent with Gaylord's announcement except the 105-acre site. The expansion will use a 12-acre plot adjacent to the existing hotel. The 105-acre property is across Briely Parkway and development plans haven't been revealed except to say the area will be developed with a year-round entertainment project. Curious to hear what they have in mind.

• 3 months later...

I believe it's done or close on the state level. I believe the last piece of legislation was passed just today by the state house. I believe everything now moves to Metro Councel. I checked their calander about a week agaon and I think I remember there is some sort of disscussion on the 24th about it. It seems to be moving along quietly behind the scene. Anyone who knows more info than I have read please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.nashvillemusiccitycenter.com/legislation.aspx

I read in that NBJ article that one of the builders is working on the convention center in Raleigh...it's going to be a great building downtown and I have heard and read a lot of good things around here since work started, so that is a good sign.

I always get the rumors confused, but can someone please remind me what CC headquarter hotels have been rumored or at least where that property is that they were holding on to in hopes of being able to use it for the headquarter hotel

I always get the rumors confused, but can someone please remind me what CC headquarter hotels have been rumored or at least where that property is that they were holding on to in hopes of being able to use it for the headquarter hotel

I am not aware of any names mentioned as possibilities. I believe that the hotel is to be a separate project from the CC, and it is assumed that a private developer would jump on board with a simultaneous hotel proposal.

As far as I know, there has been no property set aside by the Music City Center Coalition specifically for a hotel. However, at least two prominent names have mentioned interest in building a hotel: Tower Properties and Streuver Brothers et.al.. The former bought the property behind the CMHOF and (I think) the property on the opposite corner of 5th Ave from that parcel. Of course, Streuver is involved in Rolling Mill and wants to take complete control over the former Sounds site on the river.

It's interesting that we don't hear from Michael Hayes anymore. He had mentioned about a year ago that SBER wanted to put up to $500 million into their properties between 1st and 4th. I'd expect he'd have a wealth of info on SOBRO.

However, at least two prominent names have mentioned interest in building a hotel: Tower Properties and Streuver Brothers et.al.. The former bought the property behind the CMHOF and (I think) the property on the opposite corner of 5th Ave from that parcel

That is the one I was thinking of...thanks

The lot behind the CMHOF prob won't get a hotel anytime soon. Over the past couple of months it has been converted into a parking lot. Work is still being done on the site like planting trees and shrubs. A truckload of trees were delivered yesterday morning.

Tower owns this surface lot along with the majority of the rest of the land where the proposed convention center will live. I guess they figure might as well let it make money while things get done on the convention center. It still has to pass through Metro Councel, then all the pre construction designs and all that work needs to be done, not to mention relocating some people who will be moved, etc..... Still a long way off from opening doors on this project.

Thermal site is smaller and from what I understand the study showed the current location was the best and its a monstorus site. The anchor hotels (private) would also need room, Tower already is primed with thier location....

Thermal Site Oddly shaped 11 acres

Current Site

15 acres to house a 1.2 million-square-foot facility

Here's a bizjournal article about possible hotels

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/stori.../27/story1.html

Edited by elguapo731

Thermal site is smaller and from what I understand the study showed the current location was the best and its a monstorus site. The anchor hotels (private) would also need room, Tower already is primed with thier location....

Thermal Site Oddly shaped 11 acres

Current Site

15 acres to house a 1.2 million-square-foot facility

Here's a bizjournal article about possible hotels

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/stori.../27/story1.html

Good info. In addition to the commissioned study, the Nashville Civic Design Center also endorsed the proposed site on Demonbreun (between 5th and 8th). A delegation of civic leaders also went up to DC and studied how its CC was integrated in the city blocks there. Apparently it's an impressive center that has a concept compatible with SoBro.

Regarding the failed Sounds BP site, it looks like Purcell wants to get the ball rolling on that before he leaves office:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/dailyedition.html#1

I missed it in the city paper last week but apparently the mayor met with STU Bros last week and Jamenson met with the developers of the BBS-Pinnacle building about the thermal site. The article stated that the transfer of the site to the parks department will proably be defered in June. It passed first reading and was to go up for second reading sometime in June.

Looks like we might still see some nice development in the future on that site

The lot behind the CMHOF prob won't get a hotel anytime soon. Over the past couple of months it has been converted into a parking lot. Work is still being done on the site like planting trees and shrubs. A truckload of trees were delivered yesterday morning.

Tower owns this surface lot along with the majority of the rest of the land where the proposed convention center will live. I guess they figure might as well let it make money while things get done on the convention center. It still has to pass through Metro Councel, then all the pre construction designs and all that work needs to be done, not to mention relocating some people who will be moved, etc..... Still a long way off from opening doors on this project.

Tower Investments is just waiting to see if the Convention Center goes through before they decide what to put on that property. they have said publicly they want to put a hotel, but would consider residential if the center is not built there.