Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

The first buildings are coming down today. The work has finally started.

http://nashville.biz.../08/daily3.html

Video & interview on the Tennessean website, as well. Link follows.

http://www.tennessean.com/section/VIDEONETWORK#/News/Demolition+begins+to+clear+the+way+for+the+Music+City+Center/47366661001/47454972001/65608926001

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A friend at work just shared a copy of Meeting News magazine with me (subscription required).. couple of interesting quotes:

"Since financing for it's construction was approved...Music City Center has booked seven conventions totaling 67,000 room nights"

That's credited to The Tennessean.

The other:

"To date, Music City Center has confirmed
room nights for conventions booked at the downtown facility"

No attribution given for that quote.

Not sure what qualifies as " a lot", but that seems like a lot to me :)

David

Edited by jdavidf

A friend at work just shared a copy of Meeting News magazine with me (subscription required).. couple of interesting quotes:

"Since financing for it's construction was approved...Music City Center has booked seven conventions totaling 67,000 room nights"

That's credited to The Tennessean.

The other:

"To date, Music City Center has confirmed
room nights for conventions booked at the downtown facility"

No attribution given for that quote.

Not sure what qualifies as " a lot", but that seems like a lot to me :)

David

This means, unfortunately to all those tools on Tennessean/NCP forums, that so far what they've been fed by the naysayers of the project is completely and ridiculously bogus. Prod2, you know what I'm talking about. Though I help you out on that end under iamageek.

This means, unfortunately to all those tools on Tennessean/NCP forums, that so far what they've been fed by the naysayers of the project is completely and ridiculously bogus. Prod2, you know what I'm talking about. Though I help you out on that end under iamageek.

They are playing the "fiscal year" card in their articles which does make 2013 look small. If the building opens in March 2013 and the fiscal year ends in June 2013, then hell yeah there is not a lot of traffic! But they don't go on to tell you how 2014 and 2015 look in those same "fiscal years". The MCC is budgeted in a fiscal year calendar but the actual room nights booked and group attendance is logged as calendar year so it matches up with the local hotels and other entities calendars. No reported the fact that for the "fiscal year" 2009, the fund used for collection of tax money to build the MCC was $1,000,000.00 more than projected. When you bring that up on the forums everyone conveniently ignores it....

Edited by producer2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So looks like we're gonna have a significantly smaller green roof on the CC. Thoughts?

What do you mean by smaller? I say they should put a solar farm on the roof. Of course that may blind people in the towers above? What were they doing before, I forgot? Just some green material and the mechanical penthouse?

agree. silly and short sighted. no way it could cost that much more to complete it per the original specifications... they already have to move the soil and vegetation up, have the drainage and holding areas set...puzzling IMO

The new renderings make it look a little silly, in my opinion.. I definitely liked the flowing all green roof better.

http://www.tennessean.com/assets/gif/DN16877219.GIF

Hopefully they could add more greenery down the road??

If not, it seems like the full green roof would be a good investment and worth the extra money.

• 3 weeks later...

Another convention booked for the MCC, the 2016 National Science Teachers Association annual meeting.

http://www.tennessea...dyssey=nav{sodEmoji.|}head

edit: Should this topic be pinned as well? Maybe change the name to Music City Center since it is official?

Edited by timmay143

So looks like we're gonna have a significantly smaller green roof on the CC. Thoughts?

I've been anticipating this announcement ever since they said it would have a living roof. Very short sighted and uninspired to allow this to be reduced. This could be a model for the city, instead of another compromise. Now i'm just waiting for the announcement that the whole green roof has been canceled on account of cost. I hope that day doesn't come, but i will be surprised if i am wrong. It's sad to hear this. It would have been amazing the way it was planned.

Aside, i recently got to visit the California Academy of Sciences and got to see an amazing example of what a living roof can be. It really does make me wonder why these arent more common place. Talk about energy savings!

I've been anticipating this announcement ever since they said it would have a living roof. Very short sighted and uninspired to allow this to be reduced. This could be a model for the city, instead of another compromise. Now i'm just waiting for the announcement that the whole green roof has been canceled on account of cost. I hope that day doesn't come, but i will be surprised if i am wrong. It's sad to hear this. It would have been amazing the way it was planned.

Aside, i recently got to visit the California Academy of Sciences and got to see an amazing example of what a living roof can be. It really does make me wonder why these arent more common place. Talk about energy savings!

Leave it to Nashville to compromise as usual. I really don't think the city has gone "first class" in any civic project in the past few years. The naysayers in some respect always get their way in some form or another, and it is always reflected in cost savings rather than future investment.

BR86

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like this project has been compromised all over the place. I was looking here for information about the elevations on 8th Ave. I was involved in the early community meetings through the Nashville Civic Design Center. There was a call from the design community that the entire building have a human scale all around with retail shops on the 8th Ave side.

I don't think that happened. I looking to see what the 8th Ave side will look like.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like this project has been compromised all over the place. I was looking here for information about the elevations on 8th Ave. I was involved in the early community meetings through the Nashville Civic Design Center. There was a call from the design community that the entire building have a human scale all around with retail shops on the 8th Ave side.

I don't think that happened. I looking to see what the 8th Ave side will look like.

KVB Property Values

Article on front page of today's Tennessean discussing property values, but what struck me is the characterization by the Tennessean of Korean Veterans Blvd being

"a service road to the convention center"

... with not a single non Metro funded development on KVB, an extravagant NES substation fronting the 6th Ave entrance of the MCC at KVB, no public circulation on the south side, and etc .....not completely unfounded.