Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

6 hours ago, japan said:

We seem to be one of the exceptions to the rule regarding how building a convention center today is a waste of money and real estate.

I'm not too versed in convention centers, but I imagine ours is unusual in having an intensely activated area literally right out the front door.  The ones I've seen are mostly off to the side somewhere.  One of the benefits of having a somewhat-gutted-but-not-dead-in-fact-feeling-much-better downtown at a time of low interest rates and rising city visibility.  What other city has a contiguous block of land that size one block from the very epicenter?  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheRaglander said:

https://www.nashvillemusiccitycenter.com/events

Fanfest comes this weekend expecting 50k.  Not too bad.   CMA Fest at 55k.  Ontario Systems (from Indiana) bringing in 50 people.  So, people like Nashville as a destination city.

what is fan fest?  a quick google search circles back to cma fest, which is in june.

1 hour ago, Tenn2Tex said:

what is fan fest?  a quick google search circles back to cma fest, which is in june.

I saw a billboard for it and they had some of the actors from walking dead on it. I’m assuming something like a scaled down ComicCon. 

1 hour ago, Tenn2Tex said:

Fan Fest is a comic style con.  This year it’s mixing with Walker Stalker for one big convention.  So you’ll have actors from the Walking Dead and many from hero shows/movies.  Pretty decent guest list. I went to Walker Stalker last year and met some great actors.  

http://heroesfanfest.com/nashville/guests/

Edited by TheRaglander
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Wow, that's some serious Walking Dead representation!  Pretty much the only ones missing are Rick, Morgan, Maggie, Michonne, and Carol (yes, I'm a fan...ha)

Walker Stalker is actually HQ'd in middle TN.  They had an office downtown Franklin but they moved.  Not sure where they're at now.  Their biggest turnouts with the best actors are always Atlanta and London.  'Rick' hates these things so he's usually only at London (home country) or Atlanta.   Last season we went and it was during the big playoff run and 'Negan' really got into the hockey buzz.  If you're a fan, go check it out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Music City Center celebrated it's 5th birthday this week.  Nice photo collage at the Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/picture-gallery/money/2018/05/18/music-city-center-turns-5/34804831/

51 slide presentation of groundbreaking March 22, 2010, to Grand Opening, May 14, 2013:

https://www.tennessean.com/picture-gallery/money/real-estate/2018/05/18/music-city-center-from-groundbreaking-to-grand-opening-in-2013/35070051/

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, markhollin said:

The larger of the two Music City Center informational video kiosks is almost ready. This is 20' tall and is at the SE corner of Demonbreun and 5th Ave. South.  The  12' one is at the SE corner of 8th Ave. South and Demonbreun.

MCC Video kiosk, June 18, 2918.jpg

I know these things probably aren't cheap, but it would be great to something similar expand -- maybe in a smaller form -- to areas like the Gulch, SoBro and other tourist spots around downtown. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2018 at 1:12 PM, Jamie Hall said:

I know these things probably aren't cheap, but it would be great to something similar expand -- maybe in a smaller form -- to areas like the Gulch, SoBro and other tourist spots around downtown. 

At the GBID meeting this week, we briefly discussed the need for location/information signs throughout The Gulch.  Not sure this got much traction but I'll bring it up again next meeting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
7 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

I had no idea the MCC collected rainwater to use to flush its toilets and urinals and has a 360,000 gallon underground cistern just for that.  I like this building even more now.

Pardon me for mentioning this again, but the roof has four acres of sedum growing.  Seeing it thrive for years (I can see it from my condo) inspired me to buy some native sedum last spring at the Tennessee native plant sale at the Fairgrounds.  A great purchase.  That stuff stayed hardy all winter and will need some thinning this spring!  My mother took some to south Alabama and hers is doing well too.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

New from the Tennessean: Music City Center looking to expand again. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tennessean.com/amp/3289324002

Interesting.  6 years in and they're saying they need more space.  I mean...what will they do for more space?  They're saying "no renovations"...but new construction.  I'm guessing they either go upwards or build something at an off-site location?

• Like 3

Just now, titanhog said:

Interesting.  6 years in and they're saying they need more space.  I mean...what will they do for more space?  They're saying "no renovations"...but new construction.  I'm guessing they either go upwards or build something at an off-site location?

They could build across KVB or Demonbreun and connect it via a skybridge. I don’t know if they’d be able to expand vertically without ruining the sweeping roofline. 

• Like 3

Just now, titanhog said:

Yeah I really don't  understand where more space would go either.  I'm not sure how I feel about them taking more land.  The MCC is an important part of the city's recent success, and I want them to be able to operate at a high level and stay competitive, but at the same time, I don't really want half of SoBro dedicated to either an empty room for people to meet or a place where the people meeting in said empty rooms sleep when they're not in the empty room.

• Like 2

If I remember correctly, the expansion plans for the MCC always included an external building adjacent to the property but connected through a skybridge. I'm pretty sure the SoBro master plan put it where I drew the red circle.

sobro.jpg

Of course, this plan is more visionary than anything and a lot has changed since it was made.

Edited by henburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1