Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

Not to be contrary, even though I'm pretty good at it, adding "Convention" to the name makes it sound like "Greyhound BusTerminal" to me, or Macdonald's Hamburger Restaurant, or Walmart Stuff Store. I think many are confusing bland with sophistication. It's not always necessary to spell it out. Those who use it, or want to use it, will know its purpose.

Edited by it's just dave

Firsts off let me welcome SylvanParkGuy to the forum.

Second is where in the devil have you been Dave????

Third is we can call the Hannah Montana, Billy Ray Cyrus, George Jones Center, then everyone would know where it is. I may be able to add some names in there. However, I dont think we really have a say in the name.

Just in case anyone is upset, I am Kidding :P

dave can smell a chance for contradiction a mile away :P j\k, it's nice to see you on the boards again! and smeagolsfree, what do you think about the "Bocephus Git Together Center"? although the "Possum Center"(so you can have your george jones) does have a nice ring to it. :lol:

dave can smell a chance for contradiction a mile away :P j\k, it's nice to see you on the boards again! and smeagolsfree, what do you think about the "Bocephus Git Together Center"? although the "Possum Center"(so you can have your george jones) does have a nice ring to it. :lol:

:rofl: What a riot!

I figure if I'm gonna pop back in here, I might as well stir the pot a bit. Got to have fun, ya know.

Ron, I've been around, but I can't seem to dismiss my obession with my yard and gardens. I'm the self-appointed neighborhood "yard police" so I've been busy drawing landscape plans and helping people mow their lawns. Wearing me out, but beefing me up. I like it. Been really busy otherwise. Off topic, but started carpooling, enhancing the compost, biking a bit, even taking a yoga class (ouch). I can't tell which is more strenuous, rescuing this place from a year of near neglect or the yoga. Oh well, got to stay young (or at least have a better waistline, lol).

I still like the ring of Music City Center. It seems to designate a place. I believe in time that's exactly what it will do. We could get all suburban like Providence and call it the Nashville Gathering Room. That's what they call living rooms now. How dippy is THAT? I even know someone who actually USES the term. They should be spanked.

Just want to know if anyone in the know has heard anything about the height of the new CC hotel. I have heard the plans call for a 51 story tower. If this is the case, then we will have some real height on that side of Broadway along with the Pinnacle tower.

Remember the hotel plans are separate form the CC plans.

Just want to know if anyone in the know has heard anything about the height of the new CC hotel. I have heard the plans call for a 51 story tower. If this is the case, then we will have some real height on that side of Broadway along with the Pinnacle tower.

Remember the hotel plans are separate form the CC plans.

I asked a similar question in another forum. This is what I got:

Quote: Originally Posted by timmay143 viewpost.gif Somewhat off topic, but Insighter, do you think the convention center hotel(s) will be larger than 300-400 ft?

Good question. I've read PT's comments on the CC hotel, and there's logic to his madness (j/k, PT). Actually, as he is in the hotel biz, I'd expect him to know much more about the functional requirements of a hotel of 1000 +/- rooms.

Having said that, I know (not closely) the owners of a parcel adjacent to the CC and have had conversations with their chief here. He has made the point that their property is not too small for a hotel that would accommodate at least 1000 rooms. He also mentioned that it could fit in a tower of less than 30 stories (e.g. under 400 ft.), and their property would hold the wide footprint that would be required of that building. However, he mentioned that there is no market demand for shorter buildings as PT contends, as people know that anything over 8-10 stories doesn't matter in the event of an emergency. He contends that people actually prefer a view and roominess to being on a lower level (those people will ask for those rooms anyway).

This company is proposing a 600'+ tall hotel, as they've actually successfully schmoozed the city leaders to ensure that they could go that hight. When last we talked earlier this spring, they would have an optional shopping mall and/or convention/office space on the lower levels that would take up the whole 1.5 acre lot (up to 6 floors). Then the tower would be 45 floors above that. So that would be an approximately 51 story building. The model is designed to maximize room size per floor as well as give stunning skyline views from the most rooms possible. A big key is whether or not this company is chosen to build (at least) one CC hq hotel. So, your question is a good one, and yes, I guess an HQ hotel can be built under 400', but would that ultimately be the statement that the MDHA and selected developers would want to make? We'll see.

I guess it's a wait and see.

Edited by timmay143

The only problem with this statement is the property that will probably be used for the anchor hotel is owned by Tower Investments. It is my understanding that Tower wants to be the landlord only for the property and a yet to be determined chain (Marriott, Starwood, or Peabody) are the main player vying to become the anchor hote. I do know that a hotel operator has purchased a lot on the other side of the center but they will probably not be the anchor. This is indeed an interesting quote though!

Not sure where to put this, but it sort of fits here. An article about current hotels downtown spending money to renovate. I thought it was relevant since with the new convention center it looks like more hotels which is, of course, more competition for current hotels.

City hotels prepared to spend millions

How exciting! I just hope the design is superb and not disappointing. I also hope Nashville can get the ball rolling on better mass transit downtown. We don't want to disappoint the numerous visitors this thing is going to bring!

why is gateway not extending to the gulch where there is so much development? it seems really short sighted not to connect the two areas...

Part of the problem at this point with connecting Gateway over the railroad tracks to the Gulch is that it would go through the under-construction Velocity project. Actually, I predict that the Gulch will have lots of traffic conjestion anyway, as neither 11th north 12th are very wide, and 12th is the only north-south street that leads either into or out of the neighborhood from Demonbreun, Broadway, or Division. There is already a fair amount of congestion when the trucks are loading for the restaurants (Watermark and Sambuca's), but that is during the daytime. East-west access to the Gulch will continue to be along Demonbreun or Division, and will spur more and better development along those roads. Keep in mind that it is precisely this limitation on car traffic that will make the Gulch the walkable community that many of us want more of in Nashville.

Part of the problem at this point with connecting Gateway over the railroad tracks to the Gulch is that it would go through the under-construction Velocity project. Actually, I predict that the Gulch will have lots of traffic conjestion anyway, as neither 11th north 12th are very wide, and 12th is the only north-south street that leads either into or out of the neighborhood from Demonbreun, Broadway, or Division. There is already a fair amount of congestion when the trucks are loading for the restaurants (Watermark and Sambuca's), but that is during the daytime. East-west access to the Gulch will continue to be along Demonbreun or Division, and will spur more and better development along those roads. Keep in mind that it is precisely this limitation on car traffic that will make the Gulch the walkable community that many of us want more of in Nashville.

I thought there were some potential plans to somehow connect Pine Street over the top of the railroad tracks.. not sure how or to what it would connect to though?

I agree about the limitations on 12th, but I do think 11th could be widened, if needed. It is already 4 lanes as you head north, and there is enough room to add 1 or 2 lanes on the part closer to 12th (buildings have large areas between them and the sidewalks).

But as you said.. the idea here is not really to cater to cars so much.. we need to continue thinking forward regarding mass transit and walkability.