Music City Center, 1.2 million sq. ft., $623 million

nashvol85

Agreed, but I think it's more daring a design than what we got in the Omni. Also, at night all of those little vertical lines you see in the glass light up for a unique look.

Yeah, I imagine that does look good. I'm waiting on the Omni to finish before I totally decide on it. I like it ok for now, but we'll see once the product is done if it gets better, worse, or just stays at, eh, for me. Regardless, I don't think it is ugly, and I'll take the build and activity for now. One day we might get something a little more spectacular.

• Like 1

You are correct, theoretically a building could have no height restrictions. By right properties fronting KVB have 30 stories, with that restriction lifted if the building attains certain benchmarks (which I am not sure what they are). SoBro roundabout site seems to be very interesting.

September2012KVB090512.jpg

Wouldn't it be nice if this was the view from a building one day? :-)

• Like 1

Regarding Indianapolis, they also have this...the world's biggest JW Marriott:

I truly don't know how I missed that one - LOL! Indy has definitely been upping their game in the last few years, both in terms of new construction downtown as well as reuse of more historic buildings downtown, which now feature a lot of restaurants, bars, and retail on the ground floors. Even the Circle Center, which is a downtown mall that in some ways pulls foot traffic off the streets into corridors (which is great in the winter!), seems to me to have contributed to, rather than detracted from, their street activation.

With some buildings excepted, such as the main Hilton, Hyatt, and I guess the JW Marriott, Indy now has a very active streetlife downtown. Still, as I mentioned, they have a good array of hotel sizes from small, to medium and a few quite large ones, but their downtown isn't totally taken up by blank-walled buildings like a lot of the boxy convention hotels that I have seen.

Maybe in some respects Indy is a good model to follow?

Kind of off topic, but I was at the convention center for the car show, and I was reminded just how cramped some of the area feels. It's still sort of an interesting building...but definitely a limiting design.

The interior decoration reminds me of that of an airport. A very 80s airport.

And just a thought...I don't think it would be too difficult to utilize at least the base of the exhibition hall as a parking garage (if they actually keep some of the building itself. A couple levels of parking would be good for Lower Broad and the arena.

The convention center is definitely very 1980s, but in sort of a good way. It's relatively timeless because it (surprise, surprise) didn't take many of the architectural or interior decorating risks of the day. No neon-colored this or that, nor the faux Victorian details that were all the rage in the late 1980s.

I'm not opposed to underground parking. But to be honest, as much as we complain about surface lots downtown, it is also populated with some pretty bad parking garages. There really are a lot of garages downtown. So if this space becomes a garage, it would most likely be built to serve whatever is constructed on the convention center site itself. Which I am hoping will generate some street activity on its own.

• 4 years later...

MCC to get $20 million in upgrades including new eatery that faces out onto the intersection of 8th Avenue South and Demonbreun.  Terrific news to help activate that upper/western Demonbreun end of the building on a street that is going to become very busy with foot traffic over the next several years.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/01/05/music-city-center-receive-20m-upgrade/96207842/

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/01/05/20m-expansion-aims-to-help-nashville-beat-other.html

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20848275/mcc-to-undergo-199m-expansion

MCC addition, Jan 2016.jpg

MCC addition 2.JPG

• Like 2

I started this thread...almost 12 years ago....

It's a neat idea....but I kind of wish they would spend money on the KVB side if they're going to do anything. That side is pretty much barren. Maybe it will feel different once development starts to fill in on the south side.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

I started this thread...almost 12 years ago....

It's a neat idea....but I kind of wish they would spend money on the KVB side if they're going to do anything. That side is pretty much barren. Maybe it will feel different once development starts to fill in on the south side.

Great minds... ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...