Power Lines in Columbia

dobboard

I think that those historic builtings should stay. Sure they ened to be fixed up, but the historic context of Assembly is lacking enough as it is. Assembly is becoming nothing but parking garages. When they do build that garage, I hope they will incorporate the two things into the structure and allow for street-level businesses like they do for most of the other garages.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. However, there are some cases where it is necessary to tear down these structures. Having one of them in some random spot is dumbt, but when you have several in close proximity and they can give a feel of how things used to be, then I think they sould remain. One of the best things Columbia has done is to incorporate the facade of that older building into the Meridian tower. A similar thing should be done to those places along Assembly if nothing else. Garages are very ugly IMO, and they should be built to blend in and possibly dissappear. Ideally we should build them underground, but I realize that probably won't happen on a large scale.

Garages are definitely ugly if the design does not compliment the area they are in. However, garages can be made into appealing structures. The new MUSC parking garage in DT Charleston is going to look like an office building. It really is a beautiful structure and will serve as a gateway building from West Ashley.

Referring to Jim C's comments, I definitely agree; Charleston and Columbia do probably have the highest percentage of wires above ground in comparison to other cities similar in size not just in their respective DT's but in their entire city limits! Out west in cities like Denver and Fort Collins, part of getting ANY new development approved is when building the streets, all power, cable, and telephone wires are put underground with modern lightposts that adequately light the streets. Why can't our cities in this state have that agreement?!?! Back here, it seems like the power company SCANA just blows off placing any utilities below ground when a new neighborhood, street, or office building goes up.

Another comment is what Pinky said. Yes, it is a mess to bury utility lines, but there are ways to ease traffic congestion and stress when you do it. The easiest and most "common-sense" way is to do the construction at night from 9pm-7am when there is the least amount of cars on the road.

Archived