New Buckhead tower

ATLman1

Cousins to break ground May 9 on Buckhead office tower

By WALTER WOODS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/07/05

Cousins Properties will break ground on its new 31-story office tower May 9, and warned competing developers thinking of building new offices that its project is for real.

Cousins in October confirmed it would build the highest tower outside Atlanta's city center at the corner of Peachtree and Piedmont roads by 2007.

EMAIL THIS

PRINT THIS

MOST POPULAR

The Cobb County developer said Monday it had finalized the purchase of the 9.9-acre Buckhead corner and set dates for a May ground breaking and the building's opening for April 2007.

Cousins will move its headquarters into the 550,000-square-foot building. Consultants Bain & Co. and real estate brokers CB Richard Ellis will also be tenants there.

The company is competing for more tenants with other developers looking to build in Buckhead.

Crescent Resources, the development arm of North Carolina's Duke Energy, said earlier this year it's moving forward with plans to build with a 500,000-square-foot office building on a parking lot behind Phipps Plaza. A handful of other developers have possible sites in the area as well.

But Cousins drew a line in the sand for any would-be competitors.

"It should now be clear to the market, to our customers and to those considering new office space in Buckhead: This project is going to happen," said Tom Bell, president and chief executive officer of Cousins. "With our unbeatable location, outstanding design and increasingly impressive list of commitments, we expect this building to be a success worthy of Buckhead and consistent with Cousins' track record of adding cutting-edge office buildings to the Atlanta skyline."

Cousins' new project will also include some 60,000 square feet of retail and restaurants. Those tenants, as well as a name for the project and more office tenants, will be announced soon, Bell said.

Cousins intends for the project to eventually have a second phase some years in the future, including another 500,000-square-foot office building and as many as 800 residential units.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool news, especially the retail space. Excuse my ignorance on Atlanta, but would this tower be competing with the Concourse Towers as tallest "suburban" tower, or is Buckhead considered in-town for the purpose of this designation?

Cool news, especially the retail space.  Excuse my ignorance on Atlanta, but would this tower be competing with the Concourse Towers as tallest "suburban" tower, or is Buckhead considered in-town for the purpose of this designation?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Buckhead falls within the city limits, so it's not likely to be considered a tallest suburban tower. It is likely to be called the tallest out side of the "core" i.e. downtown and midtown though.

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't Realm (right next door) also be taller than this tower, once complete?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Realm is suppose to be around 350 feet I think (depending on the size of the spires they put on it, which from the rendering don't appear to be very big). In order to be considered the tallest building outside of the city core, the new cousins building would have to surpass the 570 feet of the Concourse 5 building. I believe this building is suppose to rise 650 feet if I recall from some of the articles I've read.

That is correct. 650 feet is the advertised height of the new building. That would make it taller than 1180 Peachtree (Symphony Center Tower) currently going up in Midtown, which is a pretty impressive height. I can't wait for this thing to get off the ground.

Realm will be a fantastic condo development, but being residential, the average floor height won't be as much as an office building. Expect Realm to be somewhere around 350 feet, as was mentioned earlier. For reference, the Buckhead Grand is about 9-10 stories taller than what Realm will be, so guage Realm's height on that building, and cut 9-10 stories off the top. Still another nice tower for Buckhead.

It's the Vinings/Smyrna "Cobb High Rise" that I want more information on...

Has anyone firgured out how 31 stories translates to 650 ft. ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Prbably the same way Bank of America's tower is 55 stories and 1023 feet. Spire and tall floors (commerical buildings are quickly getting to 12-15 feet per floor). 15 feet per floor at 31 floors gets you in the mid 400s, throw on 200 feet of 'architecture' and you have a 650 foot building.

Yes, that is the building, and it looks goooooooooooooooood... I can't wait for it to go up. If you drive by the location now, you'll see that they have cleared some landscaping off the lot and have put up a few signs. It's a great location to put up a skyscraper at, and it will define and centralize the Buckhead skyline, which currently has a ton of buildings in the 300-450 foot range, but needs a "centralizer", in my opinion. This one should do it.

Sorry for double posting, but, would this building, when built, be considered the 2nd talles building in the USA outside of a Downtown area?  Williams Tower in Houston being the tallest, of course.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've heard that the Concourse building is currently the second tallest non-core tower in the US. And if this tops it, I'm assuming it would be. But I've never tried to do my own research on whether Concourse V is really 2nd tallest.

According to Emporis.com, the Concourse building in Sandy Springs is THE tallest non-core building in the US. However, Emporis isn't right all the time, and I do not have enough knowledge on Houston to know if that building is taller than the Concours. But, for the purposes of this conversation, when this building is completed, it will be taller than the Concourse building, so therefore, it would be the tallest (at least according to Emporis.com).

And yes, I don't know of ANY city that has more homerish-boosterism on this site than Charlotte. You'd think that the Earth rotates around that town. :-> It's a nice up-and-coming city (I actually like it alot for having no connections to the city at all other than the occasional visit and drive-thru), but in terms of urban development, it's no Atlanta and it never will be. That's not to say that it's not a very impressive southern city... but in reality, it will always be 2nd fiddle to Atlanta.

According to Emporis.com, the Concourse building in Sandy Springs is THE tallest non-core building in the US.  However, Emporis isn't right all the time, and I do not have enough knowledge on Houston to know if that building is taller than the Concours.  But, for the purposes of this conversation, when this building is completed, it will be taller than the Concourse building, so therefore, it would be the tallest (at least according to Emporis.com).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Concourse is the tallest "suburban " office building according to Emporis. The Williams building in Houston is taller but is not considered the suburbs since its in the city of Houston just like the Cousins tower which will also be in the city of Atlanta.

Have you seen the Buckhead skyline?  It already has more highrises than all but a few southern cities.  And Charlotteans are without a doubt very boosterist on this and other forums.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha you got the right Martinman. Buckhead's skyline is already better than Charlotte's skyline.

No, Buckhead doesn't have a 900 footer... but it does have more overall skyscrapers than does Charlotte.

And, if you want to get technical, Charlotte doesn't have a 900 footer, either. Charlotte's BoA building is 871 feet. :->

Anyone who would deny that Buckhead by itself isn't a larger overall skyline than Charlotte is either insane, blind or just not paying attention.

That all being said, Charlotte does have one of the nicest mid-sized city skylines in the entire US, and should be very proud of it. Few cities have buildings that can stand up to the BoA and Hearst towers in Charlotte.

In one sense I'm happy for the City of Atlanta increasing their tax base - otherwise I'm always dissapointed when suburban edge cities gain office space to the expense of the CBD (downtown & midtown).

And yes, I know Buckhead is in the municipal city limits...

What does that have to do with anything. Buckhead has twice the highrises as Charlotte, NC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are seriously sounding like UpwardAtlanta - if you value any level of respect, I would recommend backing off from a very bizarre anti-Charlotte bias. There isn't any reason to bring Charlotte into this thread.

Archived