New Buckhead tower

ATLman1

Exactly.

As for your specific question, what does it have to do with it.  If you want to beat your chest on the number of high rises Buckhead has compared to Charlotte, you should at least not ignore the fact that Charlotte has it beat in height (by 200 feet for the tower that is about to go up, at what 300-350 feet from anything current - this is no small margin).  That's half of the problem with forumers, many only seem interested in what you want to see, usually at the expense of others.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could care less about height. It is about the number of highrises, not who has the tallest.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to discuss the differences between Charlotte and Atlanta/Buckhead you should make another thread.

That new buliding in Buckhead looks good. It will add alot to the area. Does anyone have any shots of Buckhead's "skyline?"

My experince with Buckhead is that there won't be that many people milling around the outside of this thing.

ATLman1- In the future do not post entire articles. Pull the facts out and give a link. If you have any questions, read the "Article Posting Policy" at the beginning of this section, or feel free to PM me.

My experince with Buckhead is that there won't be that many people milling around the outside of this thing.

Exactly - Buckhead is still being built on a suburban model of an edge city. It is slowly urbanizing - but due to the horrible street system & the lack of transit usage there - I consider Buckhead nothing more than a bigger Perimeter Center or Cumberland. As for the Charlotte comparison - the number of towers are spread out over a large area in a very non-dense arrangement along Peachtree Rd.

I could care less about height. It is about the number of highrises, not who has the tallest.

Why, because that fits the impression you want to have. Atlanta is superior to everything, look our submarkets are better than you? Something about Charlotte scare you - you seem to have their name in your mouth and found probably one of the most petty things you could find to point out (completely unprompted I might add).

Why, because that fits the impression you want to have.  Atlanta is superior to everything, look our submarkets are better than you?  Something about Charlotte scare you - you seem to have their name in your mouth and found probably one of the most petty things you could find to point out (completely unprompted I might add).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am just sick and tired of hearing Charlotte boosters talk about their city like it's God's greatest gift. People from Charlotte make their city sound like the world revolves around it. I guarantee I am not the only one who thinks this. And about Charlotte scaring me, what the hell does that suppose to mean :rofl: .

I am just sick and tired of hearing Charlotte boosters talk about their city like it's God's greatest gift. People from Charlotte make their city sound like the world revolves around it. I guarantee I am not the only one who thinks this. And about Charlotte scaring me, what the hell does that suppose to mean

So the solution to that is make it seem like the world revolves around Buckhead?  Clearly I'm not the only one who feels this way, since at least one other Atlanta forumer doesn't think you should bring you hate of Charlotte forumers out in threads in such an ignorant fashion.

Every city has it's boosters who go to far... your Atlanta's.

You know what's more annoying than people from other cities being too full of themselves and their city... when someone from my own city does it, and then tries to justify it with something as stupid as "they do it".  Take that crap somewhere else so we can get back to talkin' about the new Buckhead skyscraper.

And, and apologize for that ignorant comment towards Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Talk to me when you take an English class dude. Your grammar is worse than a 1st graders. Why are you still in this forum anyways? The information in this forum has nothing to do with you.

I think Buckhead represents the "downtown" equivalent of the Cobb county mentality. It's urban enough for them. Why have an office in an older office building with derelicts roaming the streets, when you can replicate it in a pseudo-urban environment, where the low class live on East Paces Ferry instead of West Paces Ferry.

For Cousins though, it is a step in the right direction....they are at least now in Fulton County with a 404 area code.....

Talk to me when you take an English class dude. Your grammar is worse than a 1st graders. Why are you still in this forum anyways? The information in this forum has nothing to do with you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm an Atlanta forumer, so it concerns me. Stop thinking I represent Charlotte, I don't.

Yet it isn't by far just an Atlanta concern. It is only elevated due to Atlanta's size, most medium to large sized cities have a great number of mid rises in edge cities. I wouldn't fault the planning of Atlanta for these occurances, it is unfortunate a national issue.

Does anyone else think that it is odd to be building skyscrapers in the suburbs?  (I know Buckhead is a little different than your average suburb, but it is clearly not downtown).  Is this indicative of more poor Atlanta planning?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really. I think the poor planning comes from the fact that there are so many great buildings in Buckhead aesthetically, but non of them are condusive to foot traffic, which is essential to that whole "urban" thing we keep talking about. I have walked around Peachtree and Lenox on foot. It is not exactly the easiest thing to do being 2 feet from traffic- though half the time it was stopped ;).... My point is that I think this is the biggest problem with Buckhead. If it could somehow get around that, it could be more on par with downtown/midtown. I see no reason why the core area has to be the only one with urbanity.

I would agree Skyscrapers in the burbs and even non-pedestrian friendly aren't solely an Atlanta thing. Look at many of DC's suburbs. Plenty of office towers in the burbs and very few are transit or pedestrian friendly. However, in this situation, the problem is Atlanta's. Buckhead has failed to adobt a similar 'promote urbanism' zoning and planning that DT and Midtown have. So in that sense, it is still somewhat Atlanta's own lack of planning. However, many of the newer towers are filling in existing open land, redeveloping, and even pushing the buildings closer to the street and include ground floor uses. But it's still a long way away.

It is good to know that steps are being made in the right direction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In buckhead I'd call it trendy more than the right direction. I don't think the developers there are doing it because it's the right direction, I think they are doing it because it's trendy. When you look at projects in Atlanta like Glenwood park where there is a true sense of developing an urban enviornment. And there aren't really any zoning restrictions requiring them to development in this fashion. You can even find examples of recent developments near Midtown, just outside the zones that requrie developments to adhere to certain standards... they look like something you would find in the burbs, just on smaller lots.

Here is a link to another rendering and an article about the building. It basically confirms, with an interview with Cousins CEO, that they are building in the city because it's Trendy. It said it CEO speak as "The movement [toward building projects] outward in the metro region is not over, but it was the only option over the last several years

I know they have to try to sound optimistic, but I can't imagine an equally large office tower happening for a long time. There is so much office development going on right now and my understanding is that this tower is even somewhat "speculative" in that much of the office space hasn't been pre-leased.

I know they have to try to sound optimistic, but I can't imagine an equally large office tower happening for a long time.  There is so much office development going on right now and my understanding is that this tower is even somewhat "speculative" in that much of the office space hasn't been pre-leased.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I agree - we have a high vacancy rate & a number of downtown towers will be nearly empty - in particular 191. But in the weird world of realty - this is a good thing, driving down costs in order to make downtown more affordable. Still don't care for this type of economical thinking....

• 2 weeks later...

The image was posted, but SSP doesn't like it when you post their images on other sites, so it was taken down. So unless you have permission from SSP, or you know of another site that hosts that image, it will have to be taken down here as well.

Archived