New Buckhead tower

ATLman1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3040 Peachtree is the address of the site where the jumper is.

Is he really that big of a story around the South?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard it this afternoon on an hourly news update on a talk radio station in Spartanburg.

Buckhead, in some sense is not a suburb. I would call it Atlanta's Uptown. It posseses most uptown qualities. Like it's geographical location north of midtown, etc. Buckhead is a PART of atlanta, so it shouldn't be a suburb.Atlanta is obviously trying to make Buckhead a more showcased downtown type area. come on people, Read betwen the lines

bUCKHEAD

iS

NOT

A

SuBuRb

Is Buckhead urban or suburban? That's an interesting question. It is in the Atlanta city limits, which says a lot given the city's extremely restrictive municipal boundary. I think that the last annexation by the city was in 1952 when the city annexed a large area including Buckhead. It is also "uptown" for Atlanta. But clearly, like 90% of all southern and western cities with their suburban era booms, Buckhead has a suburban feel in many ways. It was certainly developed in a suburban fashion originally with malls and "office park" type developments. However, I would argue that the area is gradually evolving into a more urban environment, certainly more so than the Galleria area, the Concourse area, or other edge cities around Atlanta. The Buckhead Coalition is interested in new urbanist design. Note that the newer developments are increasingly new urbanist in nature. The new Cousins building is on the street with no office park surroundings as with many of the older buildings. Another new 47-story building has been proposed and is mixed-use. The area has two MARTA stations and the Buckhead Coalition has a local bus system. The planning for the area is geared towards making the area more pedestrian friendly. Buckhead is a hybrid area--part suburban and part urban in my opinion, and it is headed more towards an urban atmosphere over time. It may never be as urban as the Downtown or Midtown areas (my preferred areas), but it still will be quite a few notches above standard suburban to be fair.

A long long time ago, before Buckhead was part of Atlanta, there was a tavern in the buckhead area that had a stuffed deer's head above the sign. It became something of a landmark, I guess. So people started calling the area Buckhead.

Yes, Buckhead used to be known as Irbyville named after the man (Henry Irby)who owned pretty much the entire area as well as that tavern. After the deer head incident, people called the tavern "Buck's Head Tavern" or "Buck Head Tavern". The name stuck. The tavern was located on the spot that is now the intersection of Peachtree and Rosweel Roads in Buckhead Village.

A few years ago, I read an article in a website about Buckhead that was telling of a massive "urban Peachtree Rd." It said that a new landscaped boulevard would be converted out of the old Peachtree Rd. and that new pedestrian friendly areas would be built, along with wider sidewalks, a bike path, and new pedestrial lighting and crosswalks would be constructed, which would lead to new offices, hotels, sidewalk cafes, etc., right on the road. Anyone know what happened to this plan?

Archived