Winston-Salem

Noneck_08

yadkinv, in regards to the "interstate" designation... I do believe that is important to a certain extent, in fact I have made the exact same argument in regards to Raleigh. But I've noticed that most people don't pay much attention to signage. Raleigh's Beltline didn't change in popularity or in development style when it was resigned I-440... it is still known by long-time Raleighites as "The Beltline" or "US1". Reasonable proximity to an interstate is probably a more important consideration, and all of NC's cities definitely have that.

Hell, I still call Green-40 in Winston "I-40" just out of habit. Overall, I think that our state has some of the most unusual freeway signing. Why all the "green" routes in the Triad? Why is the northern portion of Greensboro's urban loop called I-840 (why not use a 3di number from I-85)? Did you know that one section of the urban loop will be a multiplex between West, North, and South (or East, South, and North) interstates? WHY?? Why is I-540 numbered like a spur when it will end up being a loop? North Carolina spits in the face of Interstate naming conventions, it stands to reason that Winston-Salem will end up so illogical. If it made sense, it would be an oddity in the state. :lol:

I agree Guilford county will end up with I-85, I-40, 2 Green 40s, 2 Green 85s, I-785, I-840, I-73, I-74, and maybe one day I-83...Forsyth will end up with I-40, I-274, I-74, I-285, Green 40, and maybe I-273? (airport connector), Winston's Beltway should have been I-840 because Winston Salem is very I-40 centric. Greensboro's Beltway should have been I-685 along the whole thing. The reason there are so many green intrstate's are due to NCDOT making bypasses around every route instead of making the improvments needed for interstate standards. Most states simply improve existing roadways instead of making complete bypasses of the roads

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived