Columbia SC vs. Greensboro NC

krazeeboi

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with VS threads is that they can lead to alot of flaming and bashing which is commonplace on other forums which we shall leave unnamed. I have no problem with them so long as they stay civil.

Cola for me I guess. I really don't know anything about Greensboro except that they are building some skyscraper out in the middle of nowhere by an interstate, which Columbia did years ago.

I think Columbia's urban area is larger. So in a since Columbia is a larger city. Someone can check me on this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Greensboro is the largest city pop. wise. Its about 230,000 with a million or so in the metro. Coulmbia's city pop. is only around 120,000 but has a metro of about 500,000 or so. Someone correct me if im wrong. :blush:

Greensboro does have a larger population as far as the city proper goes, but Columbia's urbanized area is almost twice as large as that of Greensboro's. And of course, being in the Triad metropolitan area, Greensboro does have a significant metro population, thanks to being in close proximity to W-S and High Point. But for all practical purposes, Columbia is the bigger city.

Here are some recent statistics:

Greensboro

City Population: 231,740

Urbanized Area: 267,884

Metropolitan Statistical Area: 1,502,097

Columbia

City Population: 116,287

Urbanized Area: 420,537

Metropolitan Statistical Area: 664,229

Spartan, I can certainly see how these "versus" threads have the potential to becoming places of juvenile-like bickering, such as some other threads on this board. But I think the Greenville--Augusta thread is flowing pretty smoothly, and I had the opportunity to learn a little more about each city in comparison and contrast, so I was hoping the same could occur here.

This is a queer comparison, but I will say that I like each for different reasons. I think downtown Columbia is a classic looking capital city. I think its capital building is one of the best looking in the country. Greensboro is my favorite city in the Triad.

I think both, like cities in both Carolinas, are struggling to redefine their downtowns as more liveable places and both are trying to deal with sprawl. Both have major Universities right in the DT area. (Though USC is larger and more centrally located than UNCG) Greensboro is about twice as large as Columbia, but I don't think that takes away from Columbia as an appealing place to live. Greensboro has some very nice liveable older neighborhoods. Columbia is hot as hell during the summer for some reason.

I my book it is a toss up. I would live in either city.

I would honestly have to say it would be a toss up for me. Living in one city would pretty much be like living in the other. I really don't see a huge difference in either town other than CSA population, Columbia does actually have a larger census defined MSA but that would be splitting hairs I guess? Anyway I think they would be mirror cities if Greensboro stood alone, JMO.

What else would ya like to know about Columbia, krazeeboi?

I prefer Greensboro.  I think Greensboro's future is brighter than Columbia's.   

You can discuss urbanized areas all night, but with Greensboro, Winston Salem, and High Point so close together, Columbia can not match the amenities of Greensboro.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just out of curiosity what does Greensboro have that Columbia lacks other than CSA numbers? Iv'e been to Greensboro on a few occaisons and I really couldn't tell a difference? What amenities does Greensboro have that Columbia doesn't?

Fair enough. I will say that Columbia is definately a culturally diverse and accepting city, Richland County did vote Kerry after all. The USC helps add to the diversity, and it was listed 5th most "creative mid-sized city" according to Richard Florida. But just like any other city there are areas that are a bit more closed minded and I'm disapointed that you hadn't experienced places there where one could just be. I have had similar experiences as well in other cities I've been too.

Just like several other southeastern cities there are areas in Columbia that are booming with new development NE Richland Co., Lexington, Irmo/St. Andrews, & DT Columbia as well in fact the Vista is used to be an abondoned warehouse district that has been recently transformed into a bustling entertainment district.

There are areas of blight in Columbia that have been renovated or are in the process of being renovated as well. Places such as Saxon Homes, a housing project which was notorious for "bad things" when I was growing up. There is an area around USC's football stadium that has been quite rundown for sometime but there are plans to develop that area into an affordable mixed housing development neighborhood.

I have never lived in Greensboro so I couldn't give an accurate analysis of that city's vibe, but just from what I've experienced I really didn't see much difference, but that's just me?

Also what exactly do you mean by Columbia being held back by its past or current status?

"The flag" and the steadfast determination of some of the city's residents to herald it as a symbol of culture, rather than intolerance, comes to mind. This is not a specific indictment of you or anyone you may or may not know; I just know that any city that continues to hang a symbol of what I call hate next to its most important building cannot be considered progressive.

I'm afraid you have the story of the flag TOTALLY wrong. The CITY OF COLUMBIA sued the STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA to take that %$^**%& flag off the state house. Almost noone that lives in this city wants it there. You will have to find blame elsewhere in South Carolina for the existence of the flag on the state house grounds. How about getting your facts straight before making statements.

In case you didn't know, the State Capital building (the State House) is a State of South Carolina structure, not a City of Columbia building like City Hall. The city doesn't control what happens at the State House.

Archived