Columbia SC vs. Greensboro NC

krazeeboi

I figured you would say that, most people think of that and think Columbia is responsible for the flag being there, but it really has more to do with the leaders of the state of South Carolina as a whole and not the city of Columbia itself. The city & the USC are not supportive of the flag, it's just that the Capitol is a state supported venue so therefore there is not a whole lot the city or the county of Richland can do about it directly. It's really ashame because it leaves a is a black eye on the entire state of SC. Sadly most politicians and residents in the state don't seem to care! It's like they make an absolute effort to remain backwards? The Columbia community though is very diverse and accepting (as you can get for SC), at least that has been my experience growing up there. Now Lexington Co. on the other hand not so much, West Columbia is home to a very closed minded population, not everyone but enough. But the difference between Richland Co. and Lexington Co. is like night and day.

And I do agree with you it think it's a bullsh*t cop out to say it symbolizes heritage. I mean do the fly a swatstika underneath a German flag?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greensboro as a whole seems more progressive than Columbia. It's not held back by its past or current status, meaning for the most part, you don't have to do things just like everyone else in town commerically or socially to be accepted. Diversity seems like it's appreciated and encouraged more than in Columbia.

Do you have any facts to support your argument? Since I'm gay I'll compare Greensboro's gay community to Columbia's. Maybe someone who is part of other minority groups can make the same comparisons for themselves.

How long has Greensboro had a Gay and Lesbian Community Center? Answer: They don't have one. How long has Columbia had one? 12 years. How many Gay and Lesbian Pride Marches has Greensboro had? Answer: 1. How many has Columbia had? May 21, 2005 will be the 13th. Both Greensboro and Columbia have Gay and Lesbian Business Guilds, youth organizations and a Metropolitan Community Church. Both Columbia and USC ban discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, as does the City of Greensboro. Richland County's (Columbia) Sheriff's Department is one of a handful in the country with a Gay and Lesbian Liaison office. All in all I think Columbia has more in the plus column.

Greensboro is one of the few cities in the region that African-American citizens have a shot at the prosperity that Caucasians tend to enjoy in cities of that size.  Me being black and educated in Greensboro is no big deal, because there are many people like me there, and the white population seems to want to try to coexist with people like me.  This is largely true of Columbia, but still because it is a little more "Old South" than Greensboro is, there isn't quite the same level of freedom.  That's my reasoning, however flawed.

Just chill, man, we're just trying to have a healthy discussion :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well being a young black man (22 to be exact), with a degree from a predominately white school (USC, although USC's black student pop. is pretty large), I can say that even though many people think that Columbia is still "Old South", it's not really that way anymore. There are many black professionals that hold degrees here and Columbia has had a big influx of transplants from the north (mostly black) that choose to live and work here.

I will agree with you that racism still exists here (and everywhere else), but I don't tend to see too much of it.

With the issue regarding the flag. It too makes me feel uncomfortable, but I believe that it will probably be moved from the statehouse grounds one day. Also, Georgia just changed it's state flag (which was the confederate flag) a few years ago; and the new flag that they currently have is still one of the earlier confederate flags, which came before the confederate flag that most people know of today. Still, with all of this and the many years that Georgia's state flag (the Confederate flag) flew on the capital in Atlanta, it still didn't stop Atlanta from becoming one of the most prosperous cities in the South.

Like I said before I agree with you that the Confederate flag is hurtful and I would like to see it off our state capital's grounds, but the hatred and ignorance of a few people doesn't and will not keep a whole city or state from being prosperous and diverse.

Well being a young black man (22 to be exact), with a degree from a predominately white school (USC, although USC's black student pop. is pretty large), I can say that even though many people think that Columbia is still "Old South", it's not really that way anymore. There are many black professionals that hold degrees here and Columbia has had a big influx of transplants from the north (mostly black) that choose to live and work here.

I will agree with you that racism still exists here (and everywhere else), but I don't tend to see too much of it.

With the issue regarding the flag. It too makes me feel uncomfortable, but I believe that it will probably be moved from the statehouse grounds one day. Also, Georgia just changed it's state flag (which was the confederate flag) a few years ago; and the new flag that they currently have is still one of the earlier confederate flags, which came before the confederate flag that most people know of today. Still, with all of this and the many years that Georgia's state flag (the Confederate flag) flew on the capital in Atlanta, it still didn't stop Atlanta from becoming one of the most prosperous cities in the South.

Like I said before I agree with you that the Confederate flag is hurtful and I would like to see it off our state capital's grounds, but the hatred and ignorance of a few people doesn't and will not keep a whole city or state from being prosperous and diverse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I attend USC, and I drive by that flag on a regular basis. If any of you have ever seen this thing, then you know that it is not very big and it is behind a tall monument. If you are driving down Gervais you wouldn't have a chance to look at it unless you were stopped about 3 cars back from the light at the State House. My point is that you have to want to look at it in order to see it. I am not trying to spreak for or against its placement, however.

I have found that the people who are first to talk about and criticize that flag and care about its existance the most are usually those who don't live here. And they usually make incorrect assumptions about it. It is not wise to slam a city's diversity on one issue.

Those points about GA's flag are much more relevant. Though I should add that many businesses in GA wouldn't display the state's flag until they recently changed it. And what of Mississippi's Flag which still has the Confederate Flag in it?

I am sorry.  I should have said Greensboro.  Just because.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are more than entitled to your opinion of what Columbia is. Greensboro is a fine city as well, and the lead city of a large metro area. I don't think anyone can deny its importance.

Besides state goverment and USC what are the major employers of Columbia? Is there a catalyst for new economic growth like FED EX , DELL, and new interstate highways planned or under construction? Columbia is a nice small city, but does it have the necessary ingredients to grow in to something more. I can not answer for Columbia, but I can say for sure that Greensboro's location as a mid atlantic hub will give it an advantage over similar sized cities in the coming years.

USC's research campus is a public/private venture, much like ICAR in Greenville. Or for a more local comparison, the Research Triangle Park or whatever its called in the Raleigh-Durham area. That is the goal anyway. USC is well positioned to become a nano-research center as well as a hydrogen fuel cell research center. There comparison - Columbia is to hydrogen fuel cells as Houston is to oil/petro chemicals- is made on a regular basis. This is likely the single largest economic engine that is coming up.

The interstates for Columbia are set for now. There is some expansion underway on I-26 in West Columbia, and there is a spur planned to connect to the airport. Columbia's interstates already act as a beltway, and the last leg of I-77 was completed less than 10 years ago. So, in a sense, Columbia is ahead in that regard.

The newest section is already sprring some redevelopment and new developments in the southeastern parts of the city.

Didn't Winston-Salem get the Dell facility?

I know Greensboro might get (or is getting) that skyscraper out by the interstate far from downtown. Columbia bulit its skyscraper like that in the 70's :)

Besides state goverment and USC what are the major employers of Columbia?  Is there a catalyst for new economic growth like FED EX , DELL,  and new interstate highways planned or under construction?  Columbia is a nice small city, but  does it have the necessary ingredients to grow in to something more.  I can not  answer for Columbia, but I can say for sure that Greensboro's location as a mid atlantic hub will give it an advantage over similar sized cities in the coming years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

welcome to the forum by the way!

Besides state goverment and USC what are the major employers of Columbia?  Is there a catalyst for new economic growth like FED EX , DELL,  and new interstate highways planned or under construction?  Columbia is a nice small city, but  does it have the necessary ingredients to grow in to something more.  I can not  answer for Columbia, but I can say for sure that Greensboro's location as a mid atlantic hub will give it an advantage over similar sized cities in the coming years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Certainly state government and USC are major employers. In addition to what Spartan listed: Mynd, a computer company, is based in Columbia. Columbia has a UPS airport hub, a large Bose plant, a large Michelin plant, Carolina Eastman (Kodak) and others,the USC Med School and area hospitals and Fort Jackson.

As far as interstate highways are concerned, Columbia is one of only a handful of cities in the country with 3 or more interstate highways.

Greensboro is home to the world headquarters of VF Corporation, Lorillard, Jefferson Pilot, and also Volvo North America. Other large corporations that have a significant presence are: American Express, Konica-Minolta, Citicards, Fed-Ex, ect. Greensboro also has a great advantage in the number of hotel rooms and resturants due to the International Home Furniture Market. Greensboro also has a more diverse population which also adds to more food choices. Although Greensboro is no New York City, I think most people will find Greensboro to be much more cosmopolitan than Columbia, S.C.

I vote for Columbia. I lived in Greensboro and love it's parks and topography, but Columbia is so much more urban. I feels more urban to me than Charlotte. It has a great grid pattern, lots of big old apartment buildings, and a large university downtown. And who doesn't love the Palmetto Building? The Congaree Vista area is cool too. Now that the Publix is open on Gervais, it's one of only three Carolina cities to have a downtown grocery store (Charleston and Charlotte are the other two).

Columbia's only flaws, in my opinion, are poorly planned USC buildings along Assembly (which look as if they need to be somewhere off I-20 in a business park), summertime heat (is it built over a vent from hell?) and it's traffic signals and above ground utilities downtown. No traffic lights seem to be syncronized at all, and utilities should have been buried along Assembly, Bull and South Main years ago.

Greensboro also has a more diverse population which also adds to more food choices. Although Greensboro is no New York City, I think most people will find Greensboro to be much more cosmopolitan than Columbia, S.C.

Here are some stats from the 2000 census for each city:

Greensboro

White persons: 55.5%

Black persons: 37.4%

American Indian and Alaska Native persons: 0.4%

Asian persons: 2.8%

Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin: 4.4%

Columbia

White persons: 49.2%

Black persons: 46.0%

American Indian and Alaska Native persons: 0.3%

Asian persons: 1.7%

Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin: 3%

Personally, it seems as though the diversity of each population, ethnically speaking, is about the same; there are really no major differences between the two. And as far as cuisine is concerned, I did some searching in the Yellow Pages (bigyellow.com) to get an idea of what the two cities have to offer in that regard. In terms of restarants, Greensboro lists 3 Asian, 14 Chinese, 0 French, 2 Indian, 11 Italian, 9 Japanese, and 17 Mexican. Columbia lists 2 Asian, 39 Chinese, 1 French, 0 Indian, 14 Italian, 10 Japanese, and 14 Mexican (I included chains that were listed for both cities). Again, I'm not seeing a profound difference as far as cosmopolitan food choices goes.

I also find it interesting that both cities are close to the same size in area. According to the city of Columbia's web page, the city consists of 125.2 square miles with a population of 116,278. The City of Greensboro consists of 118.97 square miles, with a population of 235,262. Is Greensboro twice as dense as Columbia?? Someone please correct if I am wrong.

Archived