Columbia SC vs. Greensboro NC

krazeeboi

No. Columbia has Fort Jackson in its city limits, which probably doubles its land area. It is more accurate to compare urban areas associate with each city, becuase SC's city limits are restricted and can't sompare with NC.

This is from krazeeboi, who got it from the cenusus no doubt.

Greensboro

City Population: 231,740

Urbanized Area: 267,884

Metropolitan Statistical Area: 1,502,097

Columbia

City Population: 116,287

Urbanized Area: 420,537

Metropolitan Statistical Area: 664,229

Keep in mind that Greensboro is associated with a much larger matro with Winston-Salem as a close competitor in terms of size. Just keep it all in perspective. You could argue then, that Columbia is actually twice the size of Greensboro.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waccamatt, you're right about the Yellow Pages. I was certain there were some Indian (and perhaps even Ethiopian and/or Jamaican) restaurants in Columbia that just weren't listed. I'm sure the same is true of Greensboro. But anyways, I just wanted to give somewhat of a sampling just for the sake of comparison. I think that both cities have a good deal going on. I've only been to Greensboro twice (never got a chance to really explore the city) and it somewhat reminded me of Columbia, so I really just wanted to see how true my perception was, and so far, it didn't seem to be that far off.

I saw a thread on Skyscrapercity about recent developments in Greensboro that was interesting. Seems like the city, like Columbia, is really on the move (eg, both cities building baseballs stadiums downtown). I find it interesting that even though Greensboro is the Triad's primary city (in terms of population), you hear more about Winston-Salem than you do Greensboro and High Point combined (seems to me that the only reason for High Point's inclusion in the Triad is so that the designation "Triad" will be politically correct).

I understand High Point to be a city that is not a suburb of Greensboro, but it has own identity(as in, its not just a bedroom community Greenville vs Spartanburg for example)). It just happens to be in Guilford County with Greensboro. But this is just my perspective.

I understand High Point to be a city that is not a suburb of Greensboro, but it has own identity(as in, its not just a bedroom community Greenville vs Spartanburg for example)). It just happens to be in Guilford County with Greensboro. But this is just my perspective.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes High Point is its own city. It is seperated by Greensboro by the small communtie of Jamestown but there is a gap between it greensboro and winston. thomasville is more connected to high point than greensboro is, and thomasville could count as a suburb of high point but its just to independent. It has its own school system(they have 3 high schools which have been in the news alot) and a moderate downtown. I really dont thinck none of the triad cities have suburbs. Everything's spaced out and its just a clump of small and large cities.

Greensboro and High Point city limits actually touch in several places. The cities are very interconnected. Some of the suburbs of Greensboro would include Summerfield, Oak Ridge, to the north, Jamestown, Pleasant Garden to the south, and Whitsett to the east. All of these areas are very fast growing and are all in Guilford county. I think new housing starts is a good indication of an area's growth. Does anyone have any recent information on new housing starts in Columbia?

I know Columbians do not like the MSA comparison between Columbia and Greensboro, they prefer to stick to urbanized area. However, when retailers and other business look to expand, MSA is the preferred measuring stick. Because Greensboro is included in the top 50 MSA's in the country it will be considered before Columbia by most national retailers. For example, the next round of national resturants and retailers coming to Greensboro include: PF Changs, Crate and Barrel, Maggiano's Little Italy, and possibly Cheesecake Factory. You can buy a Rolls Royce or Bentley in High Point, or a Ferrari or Maserati in Greensboro. Of course Charlotte or Raleigh generally get these first, but Greensboro will always have this advantage over Columbia.

Point taken, but one can buy Gucci in Charleston and its MSA is smaller than Columbia & Greensboro. Besides Columbia's MSA is larger than Greensboro's according to the census. Now Greensboro's CSA is larger than Columbia's CSA but Columbia doesn't have a similair sized city 30 miles down the road to add to its numbers. It's all just splitting hairs to me. I still really don't see much difference in either city but that's just been my experience. Example, when I'm in Atlanta I know that I'm in Atlanta. There are several things there that I can't experience in Columbia or Greensboro. In Greensboro I can say yes Columbia's skyline is similar (actually larger), we have 4 malls, museums, city parks, roads/highways have 3-4 lanes of traffic. Things that most similar mid-sized cities have. ATL on the other hand has 6-8 lanes of traffic one way. There is an actual heavy-rail system not LRT, 4 professional teams, large dominating skyline, major international airport, diverse ethnic communities, things of that nature. Not saying that Columbia or Greensboro don't have these to some degree it's just that in one city it isn't anymore noticable than the other.

Greensboro and High Point city limits actually touch in several places.  The cities are very interconnected.  Some of the suburbs of Greensboro would include Summerfield, Oak Ridge, to the north, Jamestown, Pleasant Garden to the south, and Whitsett to the east.  All of these areas are very fast growing and are all in Guilford county.  I think new housing starts is a good indication of an area's growth. Does anyone have any recent information on new housing starts in Columbia?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a good lil' bit (that was really Southern...LOL) going on in Columbia these days. Check out the Columbia developments thread: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...topic=7903&st=0

I'm glad we could have a civil, mature discussion on the subject.

From the Greensboro development thread I saw on Skyscrapercity.com, seems as though both Columbia and Greensboro are preparing for even greater things coming down the road. As I mentioned earlier, both cities are building baseball stadiums downtown, and are involved in creating greenways, streetscapings, and Greensboro has the Elon University School of Law coming downtown,and Columbia has the USC research campus coming into fruition. Both cities have much to be proud of.

I have very limited experience in Greensboro, but based on that alone, my pick goes for Columbia. Columbia just seems like a much more vibrant downtown, with many more restaurant/bar/shopping options, as well as more people. It also seems to cover a larger space. The only people I saw downtown in Greensboro were the people that were there for the wedding I attended...

On the plus side, the wedding in Greensboro kicked ass. We stayed at a hotel downtown (Marriott maybe?) and had the reception like a block away in a spectacular ballroom on the top floor of one of the tallest buildings (JP maybe?). That was an incredible venue for a wedding reception; it was easily the best wedding I've ever attended. The views were spectacular. Unfortunately, after the wedding, the only thing we could find to do in that part of downtown was to drink at the hotel bar.

I have very limited experience in Greensboro, but based on that alone, my pick goes for Columbia.  Columbia just seems like a much more vibrant downtown, with many more restaurant/bar/shopping options, as well as more people.  It also seems to cover a larger space.  The only people I saw downtown in Greensboro were the people that were there for the wedding I attended...

On the plus side, the wedding in Greensboro kicked ass.  We stayed at a hotel downtown (Marriott maybe?) and had the reception like a block away in a spectacular ballroom on the top floor of one of the tallest buildings (JP maybe?).  That was an incredible venue for a wedding reception; it was easily the best wedding I've ever attended.  The views were spectacular.  Unfortunately, after the wedding, the only thing we could find to do in that part of downtown was to drink at the hotel bar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope it was several years ago , because downtown Greensboro now rocks, especially Thursday through Saturday. It seems a new bar or club opens weekly. However most of the activity is centered about 2 blocks south of where you were staying. I will try to post some pics.

I hope it was several years ago , because downtown Greensboro now rocks, especially Thursday through Saturday.  It seems a new bar or club opens weekly.  However most of the activity is centered about 2 blocks south of where you were staying.  I will try to post some pics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was July '03... Granted, we didn't try too hard since the wedding itself was soooo much fun, but we did canvas the area for a few blocks in each direction.... only found a sub shop...

• 2 months later...

Inspired by the Greenville vs. Augusta thread. Which do you prefer, and why?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

COLUMBIA. I love the rolling hills somewhere in the Forest Acres area, the lush green-ness, attractive houses & neighborhoods and the widest boulevards/streets I've ever crossed...

I walk through downtown with a friend in the very late of night years ago when air calm, clean was beautiful with buildings lit up... the State House was breath taking.

My favorite aunt lives in Columbia. So when I return to SC, I always stay at her place in the City or a farm she owns out in Hopkins...Recently Auntie purchased a another place that I visited up on a lake with rolling red hills. So beautiful & secluded, I couldn't wait to get lost in it. I forget the location but it was beautiful old country road...Hmmm... Wait a minute. I think that the nearest big town, where we ate burgers & fries an entertaining local restaurant, was called Blythewood...

COLUMBIA. I love the rolling hills somewhere in the Forest Acres area, the lush green-ness, attractive houses & neighborhoods and the widest boulevards/streets I've ever crossed...

I walk through downtown with a friend in the very late of night years ago when air calm, clean was beautiful with buildings lit up... the State House was breath taking.

My favorite aunt lives in Columbia. So when I return to SC, I always stay at her place in the City or a farm she owns out in Hopkins...Recently Auntie purchased a another place that I visited up on a lake with rolling red hills. So beautiful & secluded, I couldn't wait to get lost in  it. I forget the location but it was beautiful old country road...Hmmm... Wait a minute. I think that the nearest big town, where we ate burgers & fries an entertaining local restaurant, was called Blythewood...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zahc, you should write for the the convention and visitors bureau. Blythewood is a suburb about 20 miles Northeast of downtown and it is in an area of red clay hills, so that likely was the area that you were in.

• 1 month later...

I like Greensboro, obviously.

GREENSBORO

marlinsexhibition17.jpg

ayjob_9-14-03_elm.jpg

COLUMBIA

Greensboro has a more vibrant nightlife. The two skylines are about the same in size. Columbia may have a few more smaller downtown high-rises than Greensboro. The fact that Colmbia has a freeway near downtown makes it look more urban too. I think Greensboro has more potential to become a major city due to its location, transportaion and logistics infrastructure. Two major Universities and 2 other colleges border downtown Greensboro and Elon University is opening up a law school downtown. Columbia has a newer look than Greensboro but its really hard to compare these cities becasue in a way its like comparing apples and oranges. The vibe in both cities are entirely different. I'm voting for Greensboro becasue i'm more familiar with the city. So its a bias decision.

I'm not sure if I agree with Columbia's and Greensboro's skylines being about the same size. Here's one of waccamatt's pics taken from his site which shows the breadth of Columbia's total skyline:

pano%20from%20I%2077.jpg

I can't really compare nightlife since I'm not familiar with Greensboro's, but Columbia has two main hoppin' entertainment districts. To be honest, I've not heard too much about Greensboro's nightlife, and what I have heard tended to be somewhat critical (see the thread, "Best nightlife in the Carolinas").

I think both cities have loads of potential, but I think that Columbia is on a faster track right now due to the sheer number of projects/developments on the city's plate that are set to absolutely transform the city in the years to come (e.g., USC research campus, several streetscapings, Williams-Brice stadium gameday condos, mill renovations, and so much more). I think Greensboro's advantage is moreso related to the metropolitan area that it's located in--but even then, cooperation within this region is key, and from what I've heard, it seems to be lacking. Columbia's advantage is that it is THE primary city in the Midlands of SC and has no competition in this regard.

Archived