Downtown Population

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Hartford's downtown population is a measly 1,200. :( (maybe the smallest in the country for a midsize/large city)

Good news is that the population is forecasted to triple in the next 3 years. :thumbsup: 500+ apartments/condos are under construction downtown as of right now with hundreds more starting construction at Adriaen's Landing very soon.

From Fannie Mae Foundation, which sounds pretty reliable.

Downtowns Vary

Like census tracts themselves, downtowns vary widely in population size and geographic area (table 1). San Antonio is the geographically largest downtown at 5.5 square miles, while the downtowns in Norfolk, Cincinnati, and Lexington are each just 0.8 square miles. Boston had the largest downtown population in 2000, with almost 80,000, while Norfolk had just under 3,000.

notes03_table_1.jpg

maybe NYC isn't on the list because the whole thing is downtown?

It's really all about how you define downtown, like portland said. some people include large swaths of residential in the "downtown" while others are only the cbd.

what is considered "downtown" would be as interesting as how many people live there.

now, what i want to know... was bret15 just making a funny?

It's really all about how you define downtown, like portland said.  some people include large swaths of residential in the "downtown" while others are only the cbd.

what is considered "downtown" would be as interesting as how many people live there.

now, what i want to know... was bret15 just making a funny?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Toronto's downtown ranges from 35,000 to 100,000+ depending on definition out of a city core of about 600,000 (officially it's 2.5 million but that's essentially suburbs that were merged into one big city in 1998). A lot of suburbanites refer to the whole city-proper (prior to the merger) as "downtown". Calling the whole city-proper "downtown" seems to be a very Toronto thing, but I could be wrong.

BTW, a more generous definition of downtown Chicago includes the Near North, South and West Sides as well as the traditional Loop - which comes to about 150,000, I think

Toronto's downtown ranges from 35,000 to 100,000+ depending on definition out of a city core of about 600,000 (officially it's 2.5 million but that's essentially suburbs that were merged into one big city in 1998).  A lot of suburbanites refer to the whole city-proper (prior to the merger) as "downtown".  Calling the whole city-proper "downtown" seems to be a very Toronto thing, but I could be wrong.

BTW, a more generous definition of downtown Chicago includes the Near North, South and West Sides as well as the traditional Loop - which comes to about 150,000, I think

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

150,000 would seem more acurate to me. I'll try to find what exactly Phillt deems "Center City" and how big it actually is.

150,000 would seem more acurate to me.  I'll try to find what exactly Phillt deems "Center City" and how big it actually is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you click on the Fannie May link it already gives downtown area and density. I think this is probably a better measure as Mattnf was saying.

I seem to remember seeing those Boston numbers before. What Bostonians consider Downtown and what is considered Downtown for statistical purposes are two different things. That 80,000 I believe includes the North End and Beacon Hill, which most Bostonians would not consider Downtown.

I seem to remember seeing those Boston numbers before. What Bostonians consider Downtown and what is considered Downtown for statistical purposes are two different things. That 80,000 I believe includes the North End and Beacon Hill, which most Bostonians would not consider Downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bostonians wouldn't consider them "downtown" but they would consider them 'in town'.

Bostonians wouldn't consider them "downtown" but they would consider them 'in town'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, even when I lived in Allston and Brighton, I considered those areas 'Boston.' As in, "I'm going into Boston." Even though I lived in Boston. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Charlotte has 10K in 1.5 square miles with over 1700 units under construction or planned to begin construction in the next year or so. The population in this 1.5 square mile area is projected to be between 15 and 20K in 5 years.

These numbers DO NOT include the seasonal influx of students to Johnson and Wales University (5000K in 5 years) or the proposed Wake Forest University Business School or Queens College expansion.

Info on Pittsburgh:

An article in one of the local papers this week stated that 3,300 people live in the 0.8 square-mile Downtown. This only covers the CBD.

In addition to this, there are two new high rise residential buildings going up and several other residential conversion projects underway.

Charlotte has 10K in 1.5 square miles with over 1700 units under construction or planned to begin construction in the next year or so.  The population in this 1.5 square mile area is projected to be between 15 and 20K in 5 years. 

These numbers DO NOT include the seasonal influx of students to Johnson and Wales University (5000K in 5 years) or the proposed Wake Forest University Business School or Queens College expansion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this true? I only ask because in 1990 charlotte had just over 6K and in 2000 it only grew by a very small amount. It would be awesome if it had all the sudden jumped by 40% in just 5 years.

Archived