Downtown Population

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I had no idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, there were about 6,000 new housing units either completed, under construction or announced in 2004 alone.

Currently there's a 27-story residential tower that's almost finished. There's a 39-story res. tower under construction. A 26-story res. tower just broke ground. There will be a 20, 24, two 29 and a 53-story res. tower breaking ground soon and two large projects that each include towers of over 25-stories will hopefully be breaking ground later this year.

Here's a link to all the projects in downtown Minneapolis:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=159529

Nice.....that's a lot of really good stuff.  Do you have any facts on the 6,000 units though?  Those numbers are in the San Fran, Maimi league.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^ Go to skywaynews.net and head to the bottom of the page where you will see Click here for Skyway News' complete guide to Downtown Condos, plus a locator map. It's a pdf. file that has a map as well as a list of 50 condo projects in downtown Minneapolis. They've been updating this list for about a year now.

Remember that the 6,000 number contains units that were completed, announced, and under construction during 2004. One project (Pillsbury A Mill), which is currently going through the approval process will have over 1,000 units alone.

Sorry, according to the link on page 1, Charlotte's downtown actually decreased from 1990 to 2000.

I saw that, but the numbers make no nense whatsoever. I don't know what they are considering downtown, but downtown (to me) is the inside of the 277 Loop. Many projects were built during those ten years, I don't see how there could have been a decrease.

I saw that, but the numbers make no nense whatsoever. I don't know what they are considering downtown, but downtown (to me) is the inside of the 277 Loop. Many projects were built during those ten years, I don't see how there could have been a decrease.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, click on the link. They consider Charlotte's downtown to be an area of 3 sq. miles.

Now you guys are saying that downtown is only 1.5 sq. miles. If we cut in half the 3sq. miles and say 1.5 at 3K, in 2000. To get to 10K Charlotte would have grown from 2000 to 2005 by more then 60%?

Well, click on the link.  They consider Charlotte's downtown to be an area of 3 sq. miles.

Now you guys are saying that downtown is only 1.5 sq. miles.  If we cut in half the 3sq. miles and say 1.5 at 3K, in 2000.  To get to 10K Charlotte would have grown from 2000 to 2005 by more then 60%?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charlotte's uptown is defined (tragically) by the 1-277/I-77 loop. It's about three square miles. But to your more important question, yes, uptown has grown that much. Five years is a long time in a boom town. 2000 numbers are old stuff for those of us who do demographic research for a living, especially in Charlotte.

Earle Village was a large public housing project that was demolished in stages beginning in 1996. The area has now regained its original moniker of "First Ward". Therefore, there were fewer people living in uptown in 2000 than in 1990 (loss of public housing residents). However, First Ward was successfully redeveloped between 1997 and 2004. There is more development going on there, but not on land that was formerly occupied by public housing. It's now home to 1,100 residents. The following numbers are approximations (not at work, so I don't have access right now to the exact numbers, but these should be pretty close). Post Uptown Place opened in 2000 with 150 units, Gateway Village opened in 2001 with 600 residential units, 5th and Poplar opened in 2003 with 325 units, The Ratcliffe openend in 2002 with (I think) 60 units, Chapel Watch came in 2001 with 50 units, The Jefferson in 2002 with 40 units, Charlotte Cotton Mills in 2002 with 200 units, and finally Johnson and Wales University opened in 2004 with 800 on-campus residents. There are several more small developments I don't have numbers on (down on 1st St in 3rd Ward, for example).

In other words, Fannie Mae don't know what she's talkin' about. Her numbers are OLD. And we wonder why we get such strange information from Washington, DC.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually if thats the case Miami must be exploding 'cause it probably has twice as much development as Minneapolis.Around 54,000 units u/c or proposed.And around 20-30 buildings 400 ft. or higher.If you want to check the projects go to the Miami forum and browse and you'll find what im talking about.Or if not just click on the link in my signature to see the present buildings and the upcoming ones too.

Plus we have Midtown Miami which is like a city within a city.With 4 or 5 buildings being 15-30 stories.

I just wanted to prove what i said,so you wont think i lied.Just see here.

$15 billion of housing planned in Miami

By Yeleny Suarez

With an unprecedented 209 mixed-use developments to house 58,317 residential units planned in Miami at a projected construction cost of more than $15 billion, city officials say the urban building boom shows no sign of slowing.

Of the projects, 32 have been finished at a cost of $1.9 billion, and 31, for $3.6 billion, are rising now, officials say.

Another 59 projects at costs of $7.3 billion have been approved; 21, for $1.9 billion, are in the application phase; and 66, at $376 million, are in preliminary phases.

"Because Miami is an international market, it is very difficult to forecast when and how the market will slow down," said Luciana Lamardo-Gonzalez, city special projects coordinator. "Other municipalities like Chicago have already started to see a slowdown. However, at this time, Miami has shown no signs" of one.

Veteran real estate consultant Michael Cannon of Integra Realty said he is unsure of Miami's future market demand. "There is so much money fueling the market, I can't predict where it's going," he said. "It's going to be interesting to see what is going to happen this year."

The 209 developments do not include tens of thousands of housing units rising or planned elsewhere in mushrooming Miami-Dade County.

Only five mixed-use residential projects in the city have been cancelled.

"Projects can be cancelled for any multitude of reasons, and if so, it is done by the applicant, not the city," said Kevin Walford of the city's planning department. "Projects that come for preliminary review once or twice and are never heard of again can be considered cancelled."

Downtown's future looks promising, with 72 projects totaling 32,732 units at an estimated construction cost of $10 billion. The next-largest clusters are in Wynwood and Edgewater, with 7,240 units in 40 projects at $1.8 billion, and Coral Way, with 23 projects totaling 2,999 units at a projected cost of $277 million.

Seventeen projects are planned for Little Havana, with 2,596 units ($199 million); 12 for Allapattah with 3,238 units ($529 million); 11 each for northeast Miami and the upper east side, 3,053 units ($840 million); eight for West Little Havana, 2,078 units ($247 million); six for Flagami, 3,258 units ($249 million); five for Overtown, 765 units ($66 million); two for Little Haiti, 182 units ($20 million); and one for southwest Coconut Grove and Model City, 176 units ($47 million).

Ms. Lamardo-Gonz

Actually if thats the case Miami must be exploding 'cause it probably has twice as much development as Minneapolis.Around 12,000 units u/c or proposed.And around 20-30 buildings 400 ft. or higher.If you want to check the projects go to the Miami forum and browse and you'll find what im talking about.Or if not just click on the link in my signature to see the present buildings and the upcoming ones too.

Plus we have Midtown Miami which is like a city within a city.With 4 or 5 buildings being 15-30 stories.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NorthStar was referring to downtown Minneapolis only. I'm surprised Minneapolis has a larger downtown population than Miami.

(There i edited it so you could see what i was talking about.)

-------------------------------------------------

San Diego's downtown is currently around 20,000 people but by 2025 the plan is to have 86,000 people

Miami may have around that amount or more around 2020.If we keep our construction boom.Maybe....hopefully. :)

^ Go to skywaynews.net and head to the bottom of the page where you will see Click here for Skyway News' complete guide to Downtown Condos, plus a locator map. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the link! But even better is the "Skyway News' complete guide to Downtown happy hours." Gotta love Minneapolis! :alc:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think we have to define our terms - or at least say what is meant by "downtown" in each city. Are we talking about narrowly-defined central business districts or more broadly-defined central areas.

For instance, I think the central area of NYC can be roughly defined as Manhattan south of 110th St.

Archived