• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Some news on the Village at North Elm

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...018/NEWSREC0203

Info on some retailers:

The Village will add an additional 72,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, 48,000 square feet of second floor office space and 190 residential units, some of which are above the shops.

Existing tenants are Jack Cecil, Marshall Art Gallery, Indigo Bead Studio, Rolly

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I too live in the area and wish this place was filling up faster. I'd really like to see a good sport bar type restaurant. Guess I'll have to go down the road to Beef O'Brady's and check them out. Anyone ventured that way yet?

Anyway I know the owner of a retail shop out on State Street and she was looking to move out to North Elm but a few of the retailers at North Elm told her not to go there. I'm not sure what good it does to tell other retailers not to come into your shopping center when there is so much open space. Seems like you'd want the stores to fill up to bring customers? Guess that's why I'm not in the retail business.

Anyone know how the apartments are going out there? I went through their model and it seemed really nice; expensive but nice). I heard the first ones that opened filled up really fast.

I'd have to imagine building the apartments first would have helped foot traffic for the shops. Emack & Bolio's Ice Cream certainly would have benefited & maybe would have lasted longer.

Don't know the occupancy rate, but hopefully the apartments will help the retail side of things. Will be interesting to see how the Village fares in light of the new retail space going in a mile & a half down the road at Lawndale. The Rhino real estate section had a story about Winstead Commons last week and the rendering showed Jack Cecil as one of the storefronts, which is currently at the Village at North Elm- anyone know if they're moving?

I agree that having the apartment traffic at North Elm first would have been a big boost to the shops. I think that ice cream store was pretty good too bad it didn't last. Maybe it'll open the door for Ben and Jerry's now that they are back in town. That would be great to have them close by :) . Didn't another store close up out there already? Must be tough times.

I've been by the Winstead Commons and it seems nice but that interesction at Martinsville and Pisgah is getting bad for traffic, especially with Fresh Market about to open. I hope traffic doesn't become an issue for gaining access to that project. Can't wait for Port City Java to finally open. I think they announced them 2 years ago. I'll have to check out the Rhino article, did they say who else was going to be there?

That Fresh Market store is looking really nice. Can't wait to shop there. I hope they can find something better than that Chinese place. I don't remember it being very good.

Also to get this back on topic, I saw a sign in one of the windows for a place called Mediterranean or something like that over at North Elm Village anyone know anything about that place?

kmurphy19662003 Beef o Brady's is average at best.

I recently ate at Beef O'Brady's and some of the boneless chicken wings I had were served raw. And not just a little pink but raw in the middle. The first 4 were fine but the next two I cut into were raw. The least they could have done was taken them off my bill after I brought it to the attention of the manager. The rest of the food was average at best and certainly not worth the price. I'd drive the extra few minutes to Grey's or Natty's before I'd go back there. I could have gotten beer with my meal at Grey's for what Beef's cost.

Champs would be a great addition to the area. I've been waiting for a decent sports bar/restaurant to open out that way but I don't think it'll ever happen.

Grey's opened strictly to benefit from the overflow at Natty's and I think for the price of the food it is fairly good. I think they lose some quality when they have a large crowd as I believe they have a fairly small kitchen. I have had a meal not come out right there recently but at least everything was fully cooked and they made it right for me. Fisher's is usually very consistent and is a great neighborhood bar, I am a frequent week day customer in there. I wish they would bring something similar in concept to either of those places to North Elm Village. I have eaten at the Barberitos place a few times lately and the food has been fairly good (same as Moe's or Qudoba to me).

Archived