New shipyard renderings

NoFxfan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I find the proposal extremely disappointing. This looks like it was copied from the Calatrava designed Atlanta symphony or the Milwaukee art museum. (Calatrava by the way is a modern artist who mascarades as an architect) This is the Haydon Burns Library of this decade. People in the future will look at it and say: "What the hell were they thinking in 2005?". I just think it is a monstrosity. Also, what is the purpose of it and why would people want to be around it (other than for the water and views)? It would be far better to either (a) have retail and condos/apartments on a pier into the water as in the original plans or (B) have some form of amusement ride on the pier like a giant ferris wheel like the London Eye. If this is indicative of the rest of the development, I am saddened. The only good thing I can think of is that it appears that I will not be able to see this from my building.

It would be far better to either (a) have retail and condos/apartments on a pier into the water as in the original plans or (B) have some form of amusement ride on the pier like a giant ferris wheel like the London Eye.  If this is indicative of the rest of the development, I am saddened.  The only good thing I can think of is that it appears that I will not be able to see this from my building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that you mention it. Something like the Navy Pier, in Chicago, could probably work there. Lately Haydon Burns and that style of modernist architecture has grown on me, although I still wouldn't mind seeing the building go, if something better comes along. At this point, I fine with the way the pier looks. I'm still more concerned with how the overall development will fit into downtown. So I'll wait to see what LandMar's intentions are for the full site.

It would be far better to either (a) have retail and condos/apartments on a pier into the water as in the original plans or (B) have some form of amusement ride on the pier like a giant ferris wheel like the London Eye.  If this is indicative of the rest of the development, I am saddened.  The only good thing I can think of is that it appears that I will not be able to see this from my building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, there will be a significant retail and residential portion at The Shipyards. All this new development will be like a stones throw away from the new pier. And I too would love an amusement ride or observation tower, but I'll be happy with this!

I've probably made my disdain for some modern art and architecture quite clear at this point. And indeed, I think that pier design has the potential to age very poorly. But you know what? Don't care one bit. They can put safron-orange gates all over the damn thing and I won't be upset ;)

All that matters is the buildings! I can't wait to see the overall site plan!

Pretty impressive indeed.  I can say, I'm happily suprised.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto. So far, so good. Like someone else said, it is also very important how the overall development looks and interacts with it's surroundings.

It would be nice to see some more "close-up" renderings. I am not exactly getting a mental picture on the "waterfall". Do they mean water fountain perhaps?

Only time will tell how this will age. I have seen the Milwaukee museum from the exterior and found it to be both appropriate and impressive. Besides, if it does lose it's luster over time, the city could always scrap it and put in something else, including condos.

As for the Indian Village, it will probably resemble an indian village about as much as this resembles a ship being built, in the abstract only. I don't expect to see teepees.

Now, let's see the rest of their plans.....!!!!!!

Sorry but some of you guys are picky. I think that looks absolutely wonderful. Imagine being 700 feet into the St Johns or looking at that from across the river. How can you not like that?

When they said pier, I figured something like Jax Beach pier only a little fancier but this is way beyond that.

Yes that does look like Calatrava, which isn't a bad thing as he does great work.

Reminds me of a small version of this piece of his in Spain.

calatrava.jpg

Lakelander, you might get your "sardines" :D

JEDC OKs LandMar's plan for Shipyards

A proposed agreement between LandMar Group LLC and the city for development of the Shipyards waterfront property Downtown got its first stamp of approval Thursday from the Jacksonville Economic Development Commission.

JEDC commissioners spent more than 90 minutes discussing the proposed development agreement, which calls for LandMar to reinvest $22.5 million in riverfront public improvements and begin making $3.5 million in annual debt service payments on $46.7 million of bonds previously issued for the stalled project.

LandMar was asked to develop the site after the city reached a settlement agreement in August with the original developer, TriLegacy Group LLC. The city has alleged that TriLegacy spent $22.5 million of $36.5 million the company drew down from the bond amount on expenses other than "allowable public improvements."

Among the questions JEDC commissioners raised before unanimously agreeing to send the draft document to City Council for final approval before the April 30 deadline were:

Archived