Charlotte's SkyScraper Boom

monsoon

In the past few weeks, there have been several stunning announcements for new residential towers in downtown Charlotte. These are all distinct in that they are residential complexes and not more office space. Some of these will be amongst the tallest residential towers in the SouthEast.

In addition, now that Wachovia has finished digesting Southtrust, there is a very good rumor they are getting ready to have a new tower announcement as well.

The following new projects are announced or in the works in the Charlotte Central Business District. (Uptown)

• Epicenter - 53 Stories - Trade & College

• The View - 50 stories - 4th Street

• Avenue - 36 Stories - North Church & W. 5th

• Trademark - 28 Stories - W. Trade

• The Park - 21 Stories - 3rd & Caldwell

• Courtside - 17 Stories - 6th & Caldwell

• 230 South Tryon - 13 stories - Tyron & 3rd.

Plus numerous other low rise developments are announced.

Some Renderings

The Epicenter

future_epicentre_large.jpg

epi-renderNW.jpg

The Vue

east.jpg

location.jpg

The Avenue

avenue.jpg

Trademark

106523958569.jpg

building_03.jpg

The Park

74778407594.gif

Courtside

72116720996.jpg

230 South Tryon

230_south_tryon.jpg

And.. for Extra Credit, There is even a 17 Story Condo/Hotel proposed for one of Charlotte's premier lake locations on Lake Norman

The Nautilus

nautilius.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No renderings for the office towers yet.

Wachovia is planning a 510' tower that contains the Wake Forest MBA program as well as a new performing arts theatre right across the street from the Green.

BofA is planning a tower that would be up to 40 stories across the street from the Transamerica building that could contain a relocated Mint Museum and the Bechtler (?sp) Modern Art Museum.

Also proposed is a residential project near the Westin that would contain two towers (both around 20-30 stories) and a residential tower along Morehead that would be anywhere from 15-25 stories.

Other rumors mention a residential tower at the Morehead/Tryon intersection, but no details have emerged as of yet that I'm aware of.

Truly a stunning moment in Charlotte's history. Not many cities in the country have undergone a transformation like Charlotte's about to see.

Yeah, this could really be a thread about the whole south. With Houston leading the way as one of the best/biggest skylines in the country, then Atlanta, and Miami both getting new buildings making them part of the big city list, and then Charlotte, Jacksonville and Nashville surging forward in the medium city market.

Im particurly proud of Charlotte, but the south in general is making its presence known... :D

WOW!

I didn't know Charlotte had 50 story residential buildings proposed. They look great too. I like the View (or is it Vue) best.

Charlotte truly is reaching a new level. The building called teh Park has been out there for a while. What is the status? Is it under construction or still waiting on financing?

Great thread indeed.  Its nice to see urban development expanding throughout the South.  Put a waterfront in Uptown, and Charlotte could bceome an honorary Florida city. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually Charlotte is surrounded by quite a lake system. It just doesn't go to downtown, but as you can see above, the Nautilus is a very Florida looking development.

^ Nashville has a +50 story residential tower. Jacksonville has two 48 story towers planned, with spires bringing they're heights up to 750ft. Fort Lauderdale and Miami Beach may have proposed towers around 50 stories, but I'd have to verify it to make sure. Other than that, I can't think of any.

ahh but the Nashville tower (Signiture tower?) only has 150 condo units, and is a hotel and an office building not just a condo tower. Nashville probably can not support a full condo tower.

The jacksonville towers, are 619 feets says emporis.

maybe emporis does not update itself very often (in regards to the jacksonville towers)

Emporis is very inaccurate when it comes down to Jacksonville projects. For instance, they don't even have San Marco Village listed and it will break ground this summer. That's bad considering its downtown's largest development consiting of 1,500 units including a grocery store, retail space, riverwalk expansion, a hotel tower and residential towers of 35,35,35,30 and 28 stories.

Riverpointe is planned as 619ft to the roof of the highest floor. The spires will bring it up to 750ft. However, since it was announced a new architect has been hired to do a new redesign. So to tell you the truth, since they added about 50 units, I have no idea of what height it may be. It just may be taller.

Emporis is very inaccurate when it comes down to Jacksonville projects.  For instance, they don't even have San Marco Village listed and it will break ground this summer. That's bad considering its downtown's largest development consiting of 1,500 units including a grocery store, retail space, riverwalk expansion, a hotel tower and residential towers of 35,35,35,30 and 28 stories. 

Riverpointe is planned as 619ft to the roof of the highest floor.  The spires will bring it up to 750ft.  However, since it was announced a new architect has been hired to do a new redesign.  So to tell you the truth, since they added about 50 units, I have no idea of what height it may be.  It just may be taller.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I forgot all about that project. It isn't being built on the land that was used for the NFL Experience during the SB is it?

I don't want to turn this into a Jax thread, but its about a block east of the NFL Experience site. Its the site where the Radisson Hotel is currently located.

Back to Charlotte, can anyone take that aerial showing the Vue and pencil in what lots the other proposed towers are going up on?

Wow. I'm thrilled to see the urban condo boom extends beyond Florida. These are some seriously nice looking buildings, too; I particularly like the Trademark rendering.

It's about time Charlotte and Jax and the other mid-major cities in the South started making some waves. It's not just Atlanta, dadgum it!

Charlotte really is going to look entirely different in a few years, like a lot of other cities. This is an exciting time.

I'm thrilled to see the urban condo boom extends beyond Florida.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, so many of these buildings look like Florida condos.

So how many of these proposals will actually see the light of day? Of this list, how many are underway?

Atlanta sees proposals all the time, and barely a third ever see reality. Still if three of these get going, then that would be a pretty good addition to CLT downtown. As an old grizzled vet, I know that developers get excited when a competitor announces (as Novare did), then all the rest of them want to drive their stakes in the ground.

Ok, I took a stab at it. Please go easy, I'm just adding massing, not trying for final renderings...

Plus, I didn't include any of the low-rise projects announced, or any of the Johnson & Wales projects which will fill up even MORE surface lots....

Here goes:

project_high.jpg

...and without labels:

projects.jpg

...and for comparison, the original:

location.jpg

In terms of how many will actually see the dirt turning...

The Avenue, Epicentre, 230 South and Trademark are almost 100%, the Park, who knows?, Courtside and CityView is going up as we speak, the BofA and Wachovia towers I would put at 80%, there are other items going into them that need homes, quickly. I don't know enough about the Vue developers to speculate. Not included in the rendering are two 20-30 story towers proposed by a company in Forida. Where not holding our breath on that one.

Archived