Charlotte's SkyScraper Boom

monsoon

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said.  Don't worry, we won't become like those places.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where can I learn more about the upcoming CLT annexations? When and where are they planned to go into effect? Have there been any legal challenges to these annexations like in other NC cities? Also, where are the next planned round of annexations and when?

Here is a link to the official annexation home page here in Charlotte.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...xation/Home.htm

We annex every two years on June 30th.....so after this year, the next will be 06-05-07.

I don't believe there has been a legal challenge to Charlote, but I think there was one in with Cornelius a couple yeras ago.

Sigh.....yep.

For the record, Of the two Emporis has listed UC, 1 is 17 stories, and 1 is only 8....however, a 36 story one just broke ground........still, nothing compared to CharlotteQC's claims.

I'm unaware of any MAJOR corporate relocations since General Dynamic's moved the ADP divisions HQ to Charlotte last fall.....we have lots of small (8-20 person) companies moving their HQs here, but so do a lot of places.

As far as growth, with the annexation coming up at the end of the month, the official planning dept. estimate here is that we will be at 651,000, people, an impressive increase in population, but certainly not the highest in the nation, by either absolute of percentage. 

Most Charlotte forumers love their city, and feel good about the growth that is occuring here, but a small minority often makes Charlotteans appear irrational, or just down-right naive.  Please forgive us rational posters, and ignore such blatant lies so this forum does descend to the levels it does att SSP and SSC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atlrvr wouldn't that make Charlotte tied somewehere with Austin as the 17th largest city in the US. (in terms of population)??? Just curious. If that were the case we would blow right past Boston, Seattle, Milwuakee and Baltimore, in terms of city population. That would classify us a bit differently w/ federal monies for transpotaion and other dollars, right???

We are somwhere around 17-19 (though the Census doesn't always pick up our annexations that occur on the same day as their estimates), so we might not know until June 2007 how big our 2005+annexation population really is (though by then they will have included 2006 natural growth gain)

As far as what qualifies us for more federal money, I honestly can't remember what city pop gets us. There is another boundary that is used that is more like an urbanized city population (not UA) that the census nor anyone else reports. This is used as far as HUD funding, and other social programs. It may also be used for transportation funding as well, though usually this money is filtered through the state.

In the end, it typically gets us little more than bragging rights, and a sexier number for the Chamber of Commerce to use.

We are somwhere around 17-19 (though the Census doesn't always pick up our annexations that occur on the same day as their estimates), so we might not know until June 2007 how big our 2005+annexation population really is (though by then they will have included 2006 natural growth gain)

As far as what qualifies us for more federal money, I honestly can't remember what city pop gets us.  There is another boundary that is used that is more like an urbanized city population (not UA) that the census nor anyone else reports.  This is used as far as HUD funding, and other social programs.  It may also be used for transportation funding as well, though usually this money is filtered through the state.

In the end, it typically gets us little more than bragging rights, and a sexier number for the Chamber of Commerce to use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks atlrvr....

Disregard my other question on the other thread then. I think I asked you this 2x :D

One thing I have noticed on my visits to Charlotte (and this pic really brings it out), is the large amount of ground-level parking lots there are in the Queen City, which will easily be converted into high-rise developments someday. :) Just imagine how that will look? :w00t:

location.jpg

One thing I have noticed on my visits to Charlotte (and this pic really brings it out), is the large amount of ground-level parking lots there are in the Queen City, which will easily be converted into high-rise developments someday. :)  Just imagine how that will look? :w00t:

location.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hopefully very dense. Outside of Tryon CLT struggles on that level. I HATE SURFACE PARKING LOTS :angry: I have not seen too many cities with quite as many as CLT. But as you said they will eventually be taken over with development. Can't wait :)

That's a dated photo and about 1/3 of those parking lots are gone or about to be gone. The new Charlotte Arena (nearing completion) is not shown and takes up about 3 full blocks of parking while the Third Ward Park is scheduled to begin sometime this summer and will eliminate two other full blocks. Wachovia's project will eliminate another full block of parking. Courtside is not shown and neither is City View both under construction w/ City View near completition. Avenue has broke ground and soaked up some surface spots as well.

I agree with you, I hate surface lots in a downtown setting. The many blocks of surface parking surrounding the Third Ward Park (to go in the foreground of that photo) will be re-developed as high-rise residential in all likelihood which breathe a breath of fresh air to the area around BofA Stadium. In total, most of the lots are scheduled to go away over the next 1-10 years. Master plans for the Second Ward will eliminate any surface parking in that quadrant of the city.

Oh, and on another note, I'm still laughing at that guy with his 12 50 story residential towers in the works. :rofl:

Charlotte by far has the best medium sized skyline none can compare not nashville not jacksonville new orleans not richmond nobody we have 12 residential towers all in the 40-50 story range and we are getting many new banking and music industry headquarters sorry but none can compete with the queen city yes charlotte is coming up.charlotte is already this seccond richest city in america and the fastest growing in america.The Queen City has earned her spot as the queen city and lives up to its name Queen City baby .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would you please stop posting things that aren't true about our city?

1. We do not have 12 buildings in the 40-50 story range planned. Only 1 out of the 7 or so is over 40 stories.

2. We are not the 2nd richest city in the country. We have are 2nd in terms of banking assets. There is a big difference.

3. We are not the fastest growing city in the country. The only reason our population grows so much (in comparison to LV or PHX) is because of NC's liberal annexation laws (that allow cities to annex without a citizen's vote).

4. What music industry is moving to Charlotte? None.

5. What new banks are moving to Charlotte? None.

You are an embarassment to all Charlotteans on this board.

Once again, I apologize on his behalf to all other citizens of other cities.

correction, shelby county(memphis) is projected at 908,000 people for 2004.

Source

Charlotte is 771,617

Jacksonville is 821, 337

Nahville is 572,475

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shelby county is also 755 sq/miles verse 526 for Mecklenburg. The population comparison is pointless until you consider that.

Shelby - 1,189 people/sq mile, growth 1%

Mecklenburg - 1,321 people/sq mile, growth 8.2%

No way that charlotte is 17 in city population with 650,000 people. Memphis is like 21 and it has over 800,000. This makes me realize how huge memphis's core really is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is a link that identifies the twenty largest cities in the US. These are city population numbers. They are accurate. Once the annexation happens later this month, that will put Charlotte in the ranks. (just click on the city you wish to view)

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/co/?id=100185

No way that charlotte is 17 in city population with 650,000 people. Memphis is like 21 and it has over 800,000. This makes me realize how huge memphis's core really is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is one from the US CENSUS:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922422.html

(look for 2003)

With the annexation of over 40-50K residents in Mecklenburg county that would easily put Charlotte in the Top 20 w/ a City Population over 650K...

Those numbers are a little old.  I am sure Jacksonville has passed Indianapolis to become the 12th largest city in city population by now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is quite possible. All I am saying is that Charlotte will finally make its debut as a Top 20 city within the next month. The annexation will put us at somewhere around the 17th largest in the US. :D

Detroit has really decreased over the years, and no offense but I think that city numbers are really irrelevant. Places like Boston and Seattle arent even in there and both those cities are far larger than Memphis or Jacksonville. The population that matter is the MSA population. Same with Atlanta, it is much bigger than half the cities on that list. Isnt San Jose part of San Fransisco?

I agree with you. What a city captures in the defined city limits is irrelevant to me really. Washington DC is much bigger than a lot of cities on that list, not inlcuding Baltimore and its suburbs. Metro population coupled with density is what I find relevant. Defining that (metro pop), well, you guys hammer that part out. :rolleyes:

Detroit has really decreased over the years, and no offense but I think that city numbers are really irrelevant. Places like Boston and Seattle arent even in there and both those cities are far larger than Memphis or Jacksonville. The population that matter is the MSA population. Same with Atlanta, it is much bigger than half the cities on that list. Isnt San Jose part of San Fransisco?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, Television markets do not use them at all. I feel as though a region helps to identify the true urban population.

One example that stands out bigger than any is ATL. There MSA is comprised of well over 20 counties, whereas cities such as CLT, Nashville, B'ham are not. That is an argument that could go on and on and on. But for the sake of debate I will explain.

There are parts of Atlanta that are over an hours drive from dtwn proper. (Gainsville and Lawrenceville) and 400 seems to go on forever. However it is included in ATL's MSA. If that were the case for many other cities wouldn't their Metro's stand out??? If I drive an hour up the road I run striaght into Winston-Salem and Greensboro. (over 1.4 Million in their metro). We are talking around a 60-70 mile drive from my driveway. If we included it with Metro Charlotte, you would have a number of over 4 Million !

That is why it is sometimes hard to compare cities. You have to stick with the definitions. But sometimes the definitions are skewed. Look at LA. How many towns and counties is that metro comprised of. Last I heard LA sometimes incorporates San Diego in there #'s...(that is the nations 6th largest city for crying out loud) :wacko:

Here is a link:

Look at the shear size of it...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...6lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Archived