Uptown Charlotte Street and Sidewalk Plans

atlrvr

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally, Tryon acts as one way now anyway downtown because of the street parking and deliveries along the street. So I think the study will result in no change to traffic flow. It is still hard to believe, though, as I expressed in the public meeting on it last year (or the year before?) that they must keep the left turn lane on the bridge versus something like 2 northbound lanes and 1 southbound lane and cars turning left simply use the main lanes. If it is so busy with so many people waiting to turn left, then it is the same as having a dedicated turn lane, but when no one is turning left, then people can continue straight.

In generally, I'm glad they'll be adjusting this to have bike lanes and wider sidewalks. I think the road diet will also serve to get more people using College when they enter town from the south, which is their desire anyway.

I had a hunch about the monuments happening at the same time as the street widening.

I am withholding final judgement until it is actually built but I wouldn't call the design amateurish. Whether it works or not is to be seen, but I am thrilled to see such public art being so prominent (and let's not forget the sculpture and installation itself is being paid for by private money)

P.S. I like the Scaleybark discs as well

• 3 months later...

Archived