Boston transplant to Charles neighborhood

Jenkins

Hi - new to the Providence forum, major props to Cotuit and others who contribute. Moved to Providence from Boston in September of 2003. So far so good. City has many great things to offer, in a way a small version of Boston. Also has its problems and a ways to go, but the recent announcements of development on parcel 2, etc., is great. My wife and I bought a new construction house in the north end of Providence (Charles neighborhood technically), on the North Providence line (up on a hill near Chelo's off exit 25, even have a distant view of Providence skyline). Got an excellent price on the home compared to Boston. Not exactly city living where I am, more like the 'burbs, but am only a mile or two from Downcity or the East Side. Have not heard much about the Charles area from anyone on this site, but I guess that is because it is a pretty old neighborhood where I am, lots of retired people of Italian decent. Anyway, my question is about Jefferson at Providence Place apartments. Does anyone know how what the occupancy rate is? Is the building mostly full? My brother in law works at Joe's American in the PP mall and says some Patriots players come in from time to time who live at Jefferson.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Jenkins. I've heard that Jefferson at Providence Place is filling out very well, even though that is kind of a weird little area down there.

Not much talk here about Charles, it's sort of it's little keep to itself area of the city. There was a lot of talk about the WalMart going in out that way.

Hi Cotuit (are you from the Cape?). I actually read through the Walmart posts. I agreed with those who said that in general they are not in favor of Walmarts, but for that run-down little area it will help in the long run. I've driven by the site recently and I can't see that Walmart has started any work, though. There was also news recently that a hotel was given approval for around the corner on Charles St. Just a modest Days Inn or something, plus a chain restaurant next to it. Also, the restaurant/club called Pearl opened up in that area, and it seems to be doing pretty well. With Home Depot already in place, maybe that triangle of blight down there will turn into a little retail shopping area. Of course would much rather have it be hip shops and funky stores, but I think this will have to do, all things considered... Good to hear the Jefferson Place is doing OK. It is an odd place, kind of behind the mall and by the highway. Have been working in Boston for over 10 years now. The area I am in was called the combat zone when I first started. Drugs, decay, strip joints, the whole works. Now it is called the Ladder District, with 2 high rise luxury condo's built and one in progress, all in the million dollar neighborhood. Having seen how fast an area can go from the slums to urban success, I have little doubt Providence, and specificially Downcity, will succeed.

Hi Cotuit (are you from the Cape?).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup :)

With Home Depot already in place, maybe that triangle of blight down there will turn into a little retail shopping area. Of course would much rather have it be hip shops and funky stores, but I think this will have to do, all things considered...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's always a need for those kind of stores, WalMart is being forced to move it's building to the street on one side (I'm not sure which), so the whole project won't be set back in a sea of parking. It gives city residents a place to shop without having to drive out to the suburban strip malls. It could be put to better use, but area residents need these stores, and the city is attempting to blunt the suburban nature.

Having seen how fast an area can go from the slums to urban success, I have little doubt Providence, and specificially Downcity, will succeed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I lived in Boston from '92 to 2000, I forget how much it changed in that time, and how much it has changed since. It was very true that one should not ride the orange line south of Back Bay, or go into the common at night, or other things when I first moved to Boston in 1992. All that has changed dramatically. It's a good thing to remember when considering the future of Providence.

Love the Cape, still need to get to Block Island, though... Completely agree on Walmart and the need for stores that average residents can buy goods from. Surprised they convinced Walmart to tear down the existing Ames structure and move to the edge of the street. Believe it or not there is a new construction of 4 condo's for sale directly across the street from the future Walmart. Can you imagine looking out your window onto Walmart :blink: My idea of hell. Developer better hope it is somebody's idea of heaven...

Can you imagine looking out your window onto Walmart  :blink:    My idea of hell. Developer better hope it is somebody's idea of heaven...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sadly I think there are a lot of people in this country that would find that to be their idea of heaven. :sick:

I've seen those,  :sick:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yep, me too... :sick:

sadly, that price is looking to be it for affordable family-appropriate housing in town these days, at least on the private market.

good to see they didn't "spare any expense" on the fake vinyl shutters. Quality detail there.

ooof. at least they're lead-free...

I have heard Jefferson at Providence Place apartments used very cheap construction material inrsult making some of the apartments feel less then what the rent is. ( i'm sure many wont notice )

I havent in person stepped foot inside Jefferson at Providence Place so this is far from fact.

Expect to pay $1200 for around 700sqf. ( one bd )

For more loft style living take a look at http://www.westminsterlofts.com. Very unique and exciting projects.

I met someone at the Decatur who is living in the Smith lofts downtown and dating someone living in Jefferson Place. Maybe he was in a bad mood, but he didnt have much nice to say about either. He loved living in cities, but for his taste, there wasn't much amenities in the area yet (which is true, but changing) and he said the hallways in JP felt like the shining, Not a bad place if you get a first floor unit with private entrance, but the hallways...

The thing I dont like about them is the way they were built... a six story wooden structure? There isn't a steel beam in the whole place. And they had some firecode issues as well. The company that built them quickly sold the whole place once construction was finished, and that makes me wonder. The thing that really irks me is that they wont last as long as the building they tore down and replaced.

But I am an architectural romantic who loves old mill spaces.

To be sure, though, Smith Hill/Charles Street is changing rapidly. The new units at JP as well as the 450 or so units at the Foundry is going to bring a new crowd into that side of town. Monohassett Mills and Eagle Square condos and a new project at the Eastern Butcher Block building brings more people from the mall down into Olneyville.

My advice: Buy Now.

• 3 months later...

Welcome Jenkins. I've heard that Jefferson at Providence Place is filling out very well, even though that is kind of a weird little area down there.

Not much talk here about Charles, it's sort of it's little keep to itself area of the city. There was a lot of talk about the WalMart going in out that way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Recently a fence went up around practically the entire land where the Walmart is to be built off Charles St. Looks like their ready to go. Maybe someone can post pics during construction. And is there a rendering somewhere out there? And behind this land and the Home Depot next door on the other side of the railroad tracks there is a building going up on West River St behind the main post office. Does anyone know what this is to be?

Those fences around the future Walmart site have been up a couple months. Slow going so far, have spent the entire time simply removing the old pavement. I don't have any pics, though. Someone said earlier that Walmart is supposed to bring the front of the store up flush with the street, like Home Depot is around the corner. Also, does anyone know what the status is of the hotel (Amerisuites?) that was proposed to be built on Charles street near the Home Depot?

Those fences around the future Walmart site have been up a couple months. Slow going so far, have spent the entire time simply removing the old pavement. I don't have any pics, though. Someone said earlier that Walmart is supposed to bring the front of the store up flush with the street, like Home Depot is around the corner. Also, does anyone know what the status is of the hotel (Amerisuites?) that was proposed to be built on Charles street near the Home Depot?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's now suppose to be a Comfort Suites

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...topic=8724&st=0

I met someone at the Decatur who is living in the Smith lofts downtown and dating someone living in Jefferson Place.

But I am an architectural romantic who loves old mill spaces.

To be sure, though, Smith Hill/Charles Street is changing rapidly. The new units at JP as well as the 450 or so units at the Foundry is going to bring a new crowd into that side of town. Monohassett Mills and Eagle Square condos and a new project at the Eastern Butcher Block building brings more people from the mall down into Olneyville.

My advice: Buy Now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I go to Decatur after work sometimes for $2 gansetts.. Good stuff..

AIR, you are speaking my language.. My complete focus is surrounding the Promenade.. The sheer volume of new residents at JP, Foundry, Rising Sun, Eagle Sq condos, etc will force the area to continue to improve.. People that pay big $$$$$ for apts/condos DEMAND services.. They are vocal and active.. And society responds.. I bought a 3 fam on Atwells in Onleyville and have been renovating for the past year after work and on weekends.. I'd say that 50% of the houses on Atwells have turned over, kicked out tenants and replaced them with new residents @ higher rent.. People are improving the properties.. I think Broadway area is the best place to buy, but a bit expensive.. But the area surrounding the promenade is definately the way to go..

What is going on @ Eastern Butcher Block?

What is going on @ Eastern Butcher Block?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Artiste Lofts LLC at Eagle Square

v21-ArtisteLoftsEagleSquare.jpg

Location: Eagle and Valley Streets {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Olneyville/Valley

Use: 145 loft style live/work units

700xbar.png

THE LATEST CASE in point is the Procaccianti Building, a complex of old mills on the Eagle Street side of Eagle Square (commonly misidentified as Eastern Butcher Block because of the prominent signage displayed by its neighbor) that were owned until recently by the Procaccianti Group, a Cranston-based hospitality-management company. In September, Artiste Lofts LLC of Los Angeles bought the 190,868-square-foot, three-acre complex for $1.7 million, according to Neil Amper of Rodman Real Estate, the broker for the sale. According to a press release from Artiste Lofts

Archived