4 First Union Center Cancelled

bret15

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured it was... its a shame... would have been good to have that kind of height in the skyline... but since this massive one building is gone... maybe... just maybe... they will start filling in empty space with smaller 25 to 50 story ones... (wishful thinking)

I would love to see a building of that size here in charlotte though, I'm sorry but 60 stories is great and all but we can go higher... can't we?

This all happened about 6 years ago--I seem to remember that the building was cancelled a week after it was proposed, or something like that. The merging of First Union and Wachovia sent the company in a slightly different direction.

There was a thread here a while back where we discussed whether or not Wachovia (formerly First Union) or BoA would build another trophy super-tall tower in Charlotte.

I would love to see a building of that size here in charlotte though, I'm sorry but 60 stories is great and all but we can go higher... can't we?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheap shot alert... Hey, Charlotte's doing better than Atlanta and we're one floor shy of Philly! :D

Yes yes dorks, I know BoA Atlanta is structurally taller, my stab is directed at the floor count :lol:

That reminds me of an editorial cartoon in the Charlotte Observer back in 1992, around the time BoA Charlotte and BoA Atlanta were being completed--I remember my grandfather showing it to me on a visit. It depicted two school kids. One kid was very tall, and the other one was short. The short kid was wearing a tall DUNCE cap, but the peak of the cap was higher than the tall kid's head. The caption said "Which one is taller?" :P

Cheap shot alert... Hey, Charlotte's doing better than Atlanta and we're one floor shy of Philly! :D

Yes yes dorks, I know BoA Atlanta is structurally taller, my stab is directed at the floor count :lol:

That reminds me of an editorial cartoon in the Charlotte Observer back in 1992, around the time BoA Charlotte and BoA Atlanta were being completed--I remember my grandfather showing it to me on a visit. It depicted two school kids. One kid was very tall, and the other one was short. The short kid was wearing a tall DUNCE cap, but the peak of the cap was higher than the tall kid's head. The caption said "Which one is taller?"  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No offense but you can be one floor shorter or taller than philly it doesn't really compare. Look at the density of Philly and that of Charlotte. Charlotte is a nice town but doesn't compare to Philly at all. If you guys get a 1,300 footer it still wouldn't compare.

We're catching up to Philly in terms of density.  How many high-rise projects have been announced in Philly in the past 10 months?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Individual buildings? I think I counted 9 ranging from 19 stories to 60 something.

That's not counting buildings currently underconstruction. I'm not trying to start a competition here. I do like and respect Charlotte's recent developments. If you're interested see "Philly Developments" under the Pennsylavnia page.

Also, in what way are you catching up? Just interested.

That reminds me of an editorial cartoon in the Charlotte Observer back in 1992, around the time BoA Charlotte and BoA Atlanta were being completed--I remember my grandfather showing it to me on a visit. It depicted two school kids. One kid was very tall, and the other one was short. The short kid was wearing a tall DUNCE cap, but the peak of the cap was higher than the tall kid's head. The caption said "Which one is taller?"  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey I didn't mean any cheap shot... I live in Charlotte and I like a more than ATL any day... so no cheap shot... just think it would be nice to have something taller that 60 stories... has nothing to do with BofA or ATL

HaHa, I think you say that in every threat.  I think everone in the country is moving to Charlotee. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not eveyone, but everyone in Philly. Philly has been losing population for the last 15 years. I don't know about you, but I think people vote with their feet and a comparsion of growth rates between Charlotte and Philadelphia is quite a telling tale.

No offense but you can be one floor shorter or taller than philly it doesn't really compare.

Not offended at all (why would I be in the first place?). And thanks for pointing out the obvious.

I think you completely missed my point, but it's okay. Even with the silly preface "cheap shot alert" plus all the goofy smileys, I can see how someone might miss the fact that I was joking. :blink:

We're catching up to Philly in terms of density.  How many high-rise projects have been announced in Philly in the past 10 months?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Err, though new stuff in Charlotte is great, it would take a very long time for Charlotte to match Philly's density, to say nothing about actually surpassing it.

Not eveyone, but everyone in Philly.  Philly has been losing population for the last 15 years.  I don't know about you, but I think people vote with their feet and a comparsion of growth rates between Charlotte and Philadelphia is quite a telling tale.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, champ I'm sure you did your research so you know that the city is losing pop. to the burbs. The burbs which are growing, no? But I'm sure you already knew that. And yes I'm sure some go down to the sunny south. It's nice down there, you all driving your car around all day poluting my planet. Not like here where 37% of center city residents walk to work. Or where 70+ percent use mass transit. No, people these days like their cars and the small town feel of a town like charlotte. You could however try walking to work if you lived in downtown Charlotte, let me know how that 3 hour commute is.

Not eveyone, but everyone in Philly.  Philly has been losing population for the last 15 years.  I don't know about you, but I think people vote with their feet and a comparsion of growth rates between Charlotte and Philadelphia is quite a telling tale.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Every one moving to Charlotte from Philly? I dont think so Philly itself not its metro, thats where every one is going

Well, champ I'm sure you did your research so you know that the city is losing pop. to the burbs.  The burbs which are growing, no?  But I'm sure you already knew that.  And yes I'm sure some go down to the sunny south.  It's nice down there, you all driving your car around all day poluting my planet.  Not like here where 37% of center city residents walk to work.  Or where 70+ percent use mass transit.  No, people these days like their cars and the small town feel of a town like charlotte.  You could however try walking to work if you lived in downtown Charlotte, let me know how that 3 hour commute is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok fine, let's put it this way, how is METRO Philly's growth rate?

And it only take my dad 20 minutes to get to work from our home in south Charlotte near 485, so I think the 3 hour thing is a bit exaggerated. And we are gaining density. We're learning from Atlanta's mistakes. And I don't think it is a good thing to boast the fact that your burbs are growing while your city is dying.

Archived