COMPLETE: Dunkin' Donuts Center renovations

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here's an idea ive had for a while but wasnt sure what to do with it

how about a mid-sized [8k-12k seats] multi-use, retractable roof performance center attached to the back of the dunk and the convention centers

primary uses would be mid-major pro tennis and college tournaments, extreme sports tournaments [xgames/gravity games etc], indoor sports such as volleyball & gymnastics, concerts, commencements, conventions, all occuring at the same time, etc

i dont even like these sports, but i believe providence can build an image of a great niche market sports city

because boston has command over the major american sports [baseball, basketball, hockey] maybe we could be a great alternative sports mecca

the added capabililties of the dunk and convention center to attract various events would be greatly enhanced

maybe just a random vision of mine, but i guess it could work elsewhere

maybe just a random vision of mine, but i guess it could work elsewhere

I like the vision (and I don't like sports either). The location may not work from an engineering standpoint (or may, but would be too expensive). Brown is being stymied in it's efforts to expand it's sports facilities on the hill, maybe they should be invited to come Downcity. The Jewelry District and the 195 land leap to mind as a possible location, or perhaps someplace over near the Produce Warehouse/Promenade.

J&W is expanding at Harborside now. The location isn't ideal until/unless we get better transit down there, but that's also and option.

yea i havent thought about the engineering aspects too much yet, but

i was thinking of structure that maybe sat high above ground level with a parking garage or sometype foodcourt/mall/indoor park/museum/future transit stop underneath

the playing surface i could see as being level with the pavement of rt 95 not the level of the floor in the dunk

i could see it straddle the conv ctr and the back of the dunk and the roads like the conv and its parking garage do now

something really creative and that pushes the envelope would be great here

imagine visitors seeing the ultra modern and the masterful engineering of such a complex as they pass by?!?! its a project straight out of my freshman year archie design studio... with money as no object! lol

I could actually see a nice tall office building at this location, with a shopping arcade between the Dunk and the Convention Center connecting it to Sabin Street and a skybridge over 95 to Federal Hill. Unfortunately the engineering would probably be too much, and with so many available parcels that have little to no engineering challenges, I don't think we'd see anyone takle that spot for some time.

I could actually see a nice tall office building at this location, with a shopping arcade between the Dunk and the Convention Center connecting it to Sabin Street and a skybridge over 95 to Federal Hill. Unfortunately the engineering would probably be too much, and with so many available parcels that have little to no engineering challenges, I don't think we'd see anyone takle that spot for some time.

That'd be a good spot for a hotel, too.

• 1 month later...

I can't find the updated artist's rendering in this morning's ProJo on Ellerbe Becket's web site, or the website for the Dunkin Donuts Center or the Convention Center. The ProJo's website shows a small photo only of the new render. Darn!

These renderings?

Did you see the renderings?

web-sheetsabin.jpg

web-dunkProv4.jpg

web-dunkProv2.jpg

web-dunkProv3.jpg

The little one on the ProJo site is slightly out of date, they printed it a while back in the paper, it's back somewhere earlier in this thread.

No -

Look closely between these early renders and the small pic on today's ProJo web site (main page) - you'll notice the curved wall is gone and replaced by a straighter wall, and the "Klingon Battle Fins" are gone in the new render. The detail in the new pic is just too vague to see much more - and I can't find any updated renders on Ellerbe Becket's website, darn it!

No -

Look closely between these early renders and the small pic on today's ProJo web site (main page) - you'll notice the curved wall is gone and replaced by a straighter wall, and the "Klingon Battle Fins" are gone in the new render. The detail in the new pic is just too vague to see much more - and I can't find any updated renders on Ellerbe Becket's website, darn it!

The rendering in the Projo today was posted in this thread on Jul 3rd '05. The one Cotuit posted is more recent.

Personally, there are elements of the older rendering I like more, and some I like less. The renderings posted today are the most current I believe.

Printed in the Journal, July last year:

Dunk.jpg

From today's ProJo.com:

dunk-renovations_165.jpg

From the architect's website, this January:

web-dunkProv4.jpg

PS, the renderings on the architect's website were buried, I can't remember how or where I found them, they were also giant files, the size of the one posted above is probably 25% of the original.

Printed in the Journal, July last year:

Dunk.jpg

From today's ProJo.com:

dunk-renovations_165.jpg

From the architect's website, this January:

web-dunkProv4.jpg

PS, the renderings on the architect's website were buried, I can't remember how or where I found them, they were also giant files, the size of the one posted above is probably 25% of the original.

OK - now I'm with you. My meeting broke at 11:00 last night so I'm dog tired, so I did not pay attention to the dates of the renders. TGIF!

So I heard through the proverbial grapevine that there have been talks about a Dunkin Donuts concept store in the new Civic Center - the place where they try out new products. It's not finalized, but it would make sense that they have something in that building. It would be kindof funny having a DD right next to a Starbucks, but I think they cater to a completely different clientel.

So I heard through the proverbial grapevine that there have been talks about a Dunkin Donuts concept store in the new Civic Center - the place where they try out new products. It's not finalized, but it would make sense that they have something in that building. It would be kindof funny having a DD right next to a Starbucks, but I think they cater to a completely different clientel.

Someone's been reading my wishlist. That would be totally cool, of course makes perfect sense if they're going to have naming rights for the building, they should have somesort of retail in it. And with a Starbucks at The Hilton, they need to compete.

It also drives off-peak traffic to the Dunk, and could help the pro-shop.

Archived