Target in Charlotte

jb4563

Target just completed a major expansion in the RDU area with about 7 stores in the last 3 years.

And, now they appear to be focusing their attention on Charlotte with several new stores:

Mentioned in news reports:

1. SuperTarget at I-77 & Harris

2. SuperTarget @ Steele Creek

3. Target at Midtown

4. Target at Blakeney (Rea Rd & Audrey Kell)

Target is also building a store in Monroe (I think the site is across from Ben Mayberry dealership on 74).

There are also rumors of a Concord Mills SuperTarget, Salisbury Target, new Gastonia SuperTarget, another Monroe Target, and a possible Southpark Target.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whoa... A SouthPark Target? *WHERE*? lol

Yeah, though, in recent trips to the Triangle I see it's been Target-ized.

I knew about the Target at Blakeny, Northlake and Midtown; but not of the one at Steele Creek. I guess when they build that big development out there, it will be good for Target.

There is a Monroe Target (super i think) and Best Buy coming to Poplin Place off 74, across Rolling Hills Country Club (not too far from the DMV). And I can see it being quite possible for SuperTarget coming to towns like Gastonia, Concord and Salisbury seeing there's already one in Mooresville.

whoa... A SouthPark Target? *WHERE*? lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Supposedly, it would be like the Buckhead (Atlanta) Target, which is a two story Target (literally..like a Belk's; not like the Midtown Target, which will be one story on top of another store).

The Buckhead Target fits with several other retailers like puzzle pieces (think Tetris) around a parking deck. The entire shopping center, with parking deck, fits in less space than a stand-alone Target.

Where? Who knows? But, have heard the rumor.

DSC02767.jpg

DSC02781.sized.jpg

I can't help but think that having all those Targets is going to be a little too much. Kmart covered the market in Raleigh and Charlotte a few years ago and ended up retrenching and leaving a bunch of empty shells in its wake.

When you put up too many of any store, it gets too montonous. Target's good, but it can't solve evry anchor situation.

Target does build a lot of big box stores with huge parking lots. That's bad.

But they also do some projects that are a lot better then that. The target at North Hills in Raleigh is attached to a parking deck and is on the lower floor of a two story, semi-walkable new urban development in an established neighborhood.

Wal-Mart's roots are rural - so they wouldn't be caught dead in any location other than a strip mall with a sea of surface parking.

Target does build a lot of big box stores with huge parking lots. That's bad.

But they also do some projects that are a lot better then that. The target at North Hills in Raleigh is attached to a parking deck and is on the lower floor of a two story, semi-walkable new urban development in an established neighborhood.

Wal-Mart's roots are rural - so they wouldn't be caught dead in any location other than a strip mall with a sea of surface parking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The best thing is that Target tends to take care of their parking lots more than Wal-Mart (keeping trash out of the lot, not filling the outside full of merchandise, not puttings lots of banners/signs on the front, nice landscaping, keeping the cart corrals in good shape, etc, etc)

I was at a Wal-Mart the other day (and this store is only 5 years old). They had about 20 cars people had parked to sale, the cart corrals were rusted/paint faded/sings falling apart, trash all over, no trees in the lot, etc

If they are going to build these parking lots, at least take care of them.

yeah the target at northhills is the best one i have seen in person. built into the development under a movie theater. they have the funky shopping cart escalators to get you from the parking deck down to the store.

I can't help but think that having all those Targets is going to be a little too much.  Kmart covered the market in Raleigh and Charlotte a few years ago and ended up retrenching and leaving a bunch of empty shells in its wake.

When you put up too many of any store, it gets too montonous.  Target's good, but it can't solve evry anchor situation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wake county, though, has always kept up with their Kmarts and a lot less have closed there than have closed in mecklenburg county. I think they have 4 or 5, including a super, whereas we only have 2.

there is a really cool 2 story target in downtown minn., it looks just like that one in Buckhead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Target store in downtown Mpls is attached to its 35-story corporate headquarters. One of the things I kind of like about Target Corp is its reasoning behind why it built a tower instead of a suburban campus. They wanted their employees to have access to mass transit and be able to enjoy all downtown had to offer. As a good corporate citizen of Mpls, they put a good face on transit and have helped push the city's first light-rail line to beat first-year ridership projections.

Wake county, though, has always kept up with their Kmarts and a lot less have closed there than have closed in mecklenburg county.  I think they have 4 or 5, including a super, whereas we only have 2.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, there is a big difference in how well the Kmart stores are kept in Raleigh as opposed to Charlotte (there were a lot of older Kmarts in the market in Charlotte).

I'm just concerned if a Target on (seemngly) every corner will still be cool.

You're right, there is a big difference in how well the Kmart stores are kept in Raleigh as opposed to Charlotte (there were a lot of older Kmarts in the market in Charlotte).

I'm just concerned if a Target on (seemngly) every corner will still be cool.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah

and just for people's information:

Kmart in Charlotte has closed 3 stores on Independence, two on N Tryon, one on S Blvd to the best of my knowledge those are all the ones that have closed in the past 10 years.

Target has closed 3 of their stores in Charlotte too, but all of them relocated, and the 3 were at Independence Blvd, Freedom Mall and Northpark Mall. Independence's moved further south to Matthews Township Parkway, Northpark's moved further north on Tryon and Freedom's i like to think will be the new midtown.

I heard a rumor that Target was considering a HQ re-location to the Sunbelt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would never happen. Target's roots are in Minnesota. The first store was there, and the people of Minnesota have built that company to what it is today. If Target left Minneapolis...it would be some bad PR. I really don't see that ever happening unless some horrible natural disaster destroyed the Midwest :lol:

I try to buy what i can at reids and teeter downtown, to keep the profits local.... but Target is good for some things. I would never buy groceries there, though, because i have a serous problem with that... but we do buy things like home decoration and small appliances, as they tend to have the well designed products on the market there.

When Target comes to midtown, i'd definitely go there more often.

I must say, though, i was really disappointed when they banned salvation army bell-ringers last christmas. With the mild winter, it really didn't feel like christmas when i went there for some gifts. i hope they reverse that.

I don't think target is nearly as strong with their vendors on pricing as they are on design and quality. Walmart is known for squeezing so hard for the lower prices that they rarely make a profit and that they are forced to source from sweatshop/3rd world factories, or go out of business. CNBC had a special, where they interviewed executives from fieldcrest-cannon, and they basically said walmart forced a priced below what was possible to produce in the US, and was a major factor in their bankruptcy.

Wal-Mart also pays below costs to Newell Rubbermaid, who in turn to make a profit, must sell their products to all the other retailers even higher......in fact NR raised their prices on Wal-Mart but WM just wrote checks for the old pricing.....

I boycott them now.....I'm all for capitalism, but the fates of so many factory workers around the world are at their mercy, that I think a message needs to be sent........also, American's have bought into the "high-quantity low-quality lifestyle" and I believe that it is one of the reasons that people now have a lower quality of life than they once did. Essentially Wal-Mart is the business equivalent of cheap suburban sprawl.

Archived