Target in Charlotte

jb4563

yeah

and just for people's information:

Kmart in Charlotte has closed 3 stores on Independence, two on N Tryon, one on S Blvd to the best of my knowledge those are all the ones that have closed in the past 10 years.

Target has closed 3 of their stores in Charlotte too, but all of them relocated, and the 3 were at Independence Blvd, Freedom Mall and Northpark Mall.  Independence's moved further south to Matthews Township Parkway, Northpark's moved further north on Tryon and Freedom's i like to think will be the new midtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was a 4th closed Target on Tyvola road. It was part of the Tyvola mall that was raized a couple of years ago to make way for Costco.

All 4 of the closed Targets were originally built as Richway stores. Richway was a Target like store and was a subsidary of Rich's out of Atlanta.

Kmart also closed a store on Freedom Drive

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a 4th closed Target on Tyvola road.  It was part of the Tyvola mall that was raized a couple of years ago to make way for Costco.

All 4 of the closed Targets were originally built as Richway stores.  Richway was a Target like store and was a subsidary of Rich's out of Atlanta.

Kmart also closed a store on Freedom Drive

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks for the update. that's interesting. So with the Kmart on Freedom closed, does that mean the only one left in the county is in Pineville?

Opps. I take back what I said.  According to the current phone book there is a Kmart listed on Freedom so maybe it is still open.  The only other one listed is the Pineville store.

Update:  I rang the freedom store and they are still open.  LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok i looked on kmart.com and it still has both the Freedom and Pineville location listed as open.

Does anyone think the new Super Wal-Mart on Wilkinson Blvd would kill off the Kmart on Freedom?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, i think that walmart will kill off some old and almost obsolete stores. I think it will put some grocery stores out of business, too.

That one store has me conflicted... in many ways, west charlotte needs the low prices in order to help the quality of life for people who make the lowest incomes in the region... and will also help bring back successful retail to the wilkinson corridor, which is otherwise in a lot of trouble (the most successful retail on that major corridor to the airport is currently --NO JOKE -- Hyatt Guns).

I hate walmart so much, but if they have to exist in the world, i think it is good for them to be in poor urban neighborhoods, where the people otherwise would not have price and geographical access to the merchandise.

That would never happen. Target's roots are in Minnesota. The first store was there, and the people of Minnesota have built that company to what it is today. If Target left Minneapolis...it would be some bad PR. I really don't see that ever happening unless some horrible natural disaster destroyed the Midwest    :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look at what is happening to KMART and Kresge. They have there roots in Michigan and Detroit, but they are moving their headquarters to Chicago most likely. A sad thing for Troy, Detroit, and Michigan.

• 5 months later...

Target is taking over Charlotte. In addition to the midtown store, they're building two others (maybe a third) in Charlotte proper. There's a Super Target being built on York Rd. accross from Harris Teeter and a second Target on Rea Rd. The Rea Rd. store isn't at all far from the other one. Target really is the new Wal-Mart!

What the heck is going on across the highway from the new Northlake mall???Anybody know??? I saw all kinds of construction equipment and massive acrage being developed. I am rareley up that way, so I figured some of you out in UP land might know. I figure it is your usual mix of major retailers and restraunts doing what they do best by putting up their stores next to a mall. Cluster marketing.....I guess this would be the CM for the North End of CLT, similar to the Carolina Mall clustering in Pineville. Am I right on this????

A2

What the heck is going on across the highway from the new Northlake mall???Anybody know??? I saw all kinds of construction equipment and massive acrage being developed. I am rareley up that way, so I figured some of you out in UP land might know. I figure it is your usual mix of major retailers and restraunts doing what they do best by putting up their stores next to a mall. Cluster marketing.....I guess this would be the CM for the North End of CLT, similar to the Carolina Mall clustering in Pineville. Am I right on this????

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you mean the area bounded by 77, Harris, and Statesville Rd? That is where they are creating "Northlake Village," where there is supposed to be an HH Gregg. I scoured the internet to try to find more information about it, but could not. What they are in the process of building right now appears to be a shopping center, not just a big box store.

I just searched again and found a building permit from 7/27 that says Staples is being built there.

Target may be overdoing the store openings just a bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What they're really overdoing is the SuperTargets in Raleigh.

but yeah, in south Charlotte especially with the proximity of the one in Stonecrest and the one being built in Blakeny it's a bit crazy.

Target is taking over Charlotte. In addition to the midtown store, they're building two others (maybe a third) in Charlotte proper. There's a Super Target being built on York Rd. accross from Harris Teeter and a second Target on Rea Rd. The Rea Rd. store isn't at all far from the other one. Target really is the new Wal-Mart!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are actually going to be building two in Monroe, one in Midtown, one at Audrey Kell/Rea Rd, one in Steele Creek, new one in Gastonia, new one in Cabarrus County, Salisbury, Northlake Mall (some of those you mentioned).

What they're really overdoing is the SuperTargets in Raleigh.

but yeah, in south Charlotte especially with the proximity of the one in Stonecrest and the one being built in Blakeny it's a bit crazy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Stonecrest store is the busiest in NC, so the Blakeney one is designed to take pressure off that store.

They are actually going to be building two in Monroe, one in Midtown, one at Audrey Kell/Rea Rd, one in Steele Creek, new one in Gastonia, new one in Cabarrus County, Salisbury, Northlake Mall (some of those you mentioned).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I keep hearing the same thing about a new Target store in Gastonia, but has anybody heard anything concrete?

There will be a SuperTarget there, I've got no time frame though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info! I remember reading in the newspaper that SuperTarget wanted to build near Cox Rd and I-85, but the deal fell through. Everybody wants to build the latest store near the Franklin Square area, but there is just about no more room left.

Thanks for the info!  I remember reading in the newspaper that SuperTarget wanted to build near Cox Rd and I-85, but the deal fell through.  Everybody wants to build the latest store near the Franklin Square area, but there is just about no more room left.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah sorry I wish I had more information, but of course when I find out i'll post it here

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info! I remember reading in the newspaper that SuperTarget wanted to build near Cox Rd and I-85, but the deal fell through. Everybody wants to build the latest store near the Franklin Square area, but there is just about no more room left.

I wouldnt be suprised if they built it on the west side, especially since there isnt a target all the way from Gastonia to Gaffney and on up toward the mountains.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived