PROPOSED: OneEleven Fountain (Fogarty Bldg.)

Yeah I cant say I love the Blue cross building. I will be surprised if the Fogerty Bld. and the Yet to come Porpossel for the old public saftey complex are that far off the beaten path. With the height of the Westin 2, and the Hilton exspanstion, Im pretty sure were in for a great design. What Im most curious about is the old public safty complex, with the older building of the Regency right next door, I wonder if there could be room for creativity along the lines of Structure and size. Now to get a little more off topic the Paolino part of the Power Block. Is this the biggest unsolved mystery of the power block? Some one made a really good analogy the other day about waiting for the market to get to a point were an investor could just sell off.... Is this really the road that part is heading towards, or do you think Paolino (im sorry for saying his name, I no how some of you hate the man) was just waiting for the dominoes to fall so he could plan acordingly???

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't more disagree.  IMO the Blue Cross building is among the worst examples of bland corporate "dupli"tecture.  We need something outstanding to offset that loss.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. That building is banal even by the banal standards of 80's corporate architecture, and it's just not tall enough for its design. I'm starting to agree that something more standout would be nice...

- Garris

Yeah I cant say I love the Blue cross building. I will be surprised if the Fogerty Bld. and the Yet to come Porpossel for the old public saftey complex are that far off the beaten path. With the height of the Westin 2, and the Hilton exspanstion, Im pretty sure were in for a great design. What Im most curious about is the old public safty complex, with the older building of the Regency right next door, I wonder if there could be room for creativity along the lines of Structure and size. Now to get a little more off topic the Paolino part of the Power Block. Is this the biggest unsolved mystery of the power block? Some one made a really good analogy the other day about waiting for the market to get to a point were an investor could just sell off.... Is this really the road that part is heading towards, or do you think Paolino (im sorry for saying his name, I no how some of you hate the man) was just waiting for the dominoes to fall so he could plan acordingly???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paolino couldn"t develop a fever blister. So says Hollywood Fl

I love that no matter how hard I was on Paolino in my flaming email excganhe with him, there are always others that are even harder :-)

Liam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still think you were totally wrong in that regard. You could have achived your objective without such a harsh email campaign.

I know, me too!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you, thank you...

I KNEW I saw somewhere that Proccianti was teaming with Paolino on the Gulf gas station site....

I still think thats where the Hilton tower was supposed to go.

No, separate building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

alright. alright. I guess I must just convince myself of this....

I can't seem to find that first rendering suggesting the Hilton tower that came off of some architecture firm's website in Virginia. Anyone know where that is?

alright. alright. I guess I must just convince myself of this....

I can't seem to find that first rendering suggesting the Hilton tower that came off of some architecture firm's website in Virginia. Anyone know where that is?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm confused... Do you mean this image?

PVDHilton.jpg

It clearly shows the cool, skyline defining, now on-hold tower to be attached to the redone Hilton. The Gulf Gas tower site is clear across the street, not attached to the building at all. In fact, the image above could theoretically be photographed from the Gulf Gas site...

Take a look again at Cotuit's outstanding Power Block map, which I'll post the link to (since it's so big, I don't want it to reformat the page):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/cot.../PowerBlock.jpg

Have a better sense now?

- Garris

I'm confused...  Do you mean this image?

PVDHilton.jpg

It clearly shows the cool, skyline defining, now on-hold tower to be attached to the redone Hilton.  The Gulf Gas tower site is clear across the street, not attached to the building at all.  In fact, the image above could theoretically be photographed from the Gulf Gas site...

Take a look again at Cotuit's outstanding Power Block map, which I'll post the link to (since it's so big, I don't want it to reformat the page):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/cot.../PowerBlock.jpg

Have a better sense now?

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, there's an earlier image, more a perspective rendering, of a tower that we spent awhile debating location on...then it was revealed that it was the Hilton tower. It showed a tower clearly next to 95 and with the Holiday Inn and Westin behind it. Maybe I'm TOTALLY remembering this wrong and that was not the Hilton tower at all, but I'm pretty sure it was.

I'll have to search for it later.

This one:

Smallhiltonresidential.jpg

The Holiday Inn is sticking out of the side of this. In both this one and the new one, the new tower sort of engulfs the western edge of the Holiday Inn and the bulk of it sits on the current parking garage.

The Gulf Station site is in the foreground.

The parking garage site doesn't seem big enough for either of these towers, but as you can see in this picture, there is a lowrise bit on the west side of the Holiday Inn that makes the parking garage look smaller. Also, the new tower would come all the way to the street.

205-0824-Hilton001.jpg

This one:

Smallhiltonresidential.jpg

The Holiday Inn is sticking out of the side of this. In both this one and the new one, the new tower sort of engulfs the western edge of the Holiday Inn and the bulk of it sits on the current parking garage.

The Gulf Station site is in the foreground.

The parking garage site doesn't seem big enough for either of these towers, but as you can see in this picture, there is a lowrise bit on the west side of the Holiday Inn that makes the parking garage look smaller. Also, the new tower would come all the way to the street.

205-0824-Hilton001.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats the one...

I'm now completely convinced. whoops. thanks!

I don't know who John E. Fogarty is/was,but if I were him or his heirs I'd have insisted that the city take his name off of that eyesore years ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He was the farther of our now Lt Gov Charlie Fogarty, from Burreville I believe. He must have been a politician.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In Friday's Projo: The Providence Redevelopment Agency has approved the sale of the Fogarty Building to The Procaccianti Group for $ 2.3 million. The sales agreement does not require Proc to build a hotel there, however they must come back to the agency within 120 days with their development plans, with construction to be completed by July, 2008.

that isn't speedy enough for me.. :(        Late 07' sounds like a speedy date for me

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While we'll know in four months what they're going to do, I agree Summer '08 is a bit longer than I'd like, especially as I might be gone by then :(... I guess that given that they don't even know what they want to do with it yet, perhaps it isn't unreasonable. This isn't like our usual announcements, where usually some design and engineering has been completed by then...

- Garris

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed this morning that one of the windows on the ground floor of the Fogarty Building was smashed in. This afternoon on my walk home I saw that the entire ground level had been sheathed in plywood. Now a plywood sheathing is obviously not what any of us want to see for the building for the long term, but this shows that the Proc. Group cares for their investments, they did more for that building in one afternoon than the city has done for years.

Archived