Metro Atlanta Projects.

derrickskugler

Site clearing is occuring right now - they just recently finished demolishing the warehouse that was on the site.

30 Allen Plaza has neared it's height - so it looks now what it should be looking like.

So with these two buildings under construction, the proposed 3rd Allen Plaza building in the connecting block & now under construction the Novare condo development directly north of 30 Allen Plaza - that adds up to 4 continious city blocks under construction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right now the construction of Allen Blvd. has the whole area torn up and with the demolished building looks like a giant construction site from West Peachtree to the aquarium. It will be amazing to see how this area dominated by parking lots will have changed in such a short period of time.

According to the GaWOC based in Loughborough Univ. in the UK, which ranks cities' importance, ATL is a gamma/minor world city. The GaWOC is generally considered to be the authority on such matters.

The levels on the GaWOC and a few represenatives of each level:

Alpha/World "Capital" City (NYC, Tokyo, London, Paris, LA, Chicago, etc.)

Beta/Major World City (SanFran, Moscow, Hong Kong, etc.)

Gamma/Minor World City (ATL, Boston, Washinton DC, Miami, etc.)

Some evidence of becoming a world city (Richmond, Charlotte, etc.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi. Would you mind posting a link or source to this info? I found a similar list supposedly authored by the GaWC, but it is slightly different from yours. It lists Hong Kong as an Alpha City. I saw no mention of Charlotte at all. I am a bit surprised to see Atlanta at such a high level. The same level as barcelona? Wow! But for me, it isn't a 'world city". It's just home. Anyway, thanks.

P.S. Have you read "Where Peachtree Meets Sweet Auburn"? It's an excellent chronicle of Ivan Allen's career if you're interested. Good bit of Atlanta history, too.

Here is a list of the world cities rankings:

Click here

Here is a list of the requirements necessary to be ranked from Wikipedia:

Click Here

Charlotte doesn't meet all those qualifications. Atlanta doesn't either. But to be ranked, you must meet at least a few of these. Apparently, Atlanta meets more than Charlotte because it is a little more established as a city. Charlotte is still an emerging city on the world scene. The fact that so many banks call it home is a plus, but it needs to work on some of the other areas listed. Its new transit system that's being built will be a big plus for it too.

P.S. Have you read "Where Peachtree Meets Sweet Auburn"? It's an excellent chronicle of Ivan Allen's career if you're interested. Good bit of Atlanta history, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a good book - not many good historical books on Atlanta are there?

Ironchapman, thanks for the links! Sadly, none of the southern cities measure up to being a true world class city. At least not yet.

Teshadoh, I haven't found very many good ones. The only other good one is "Atlanta: An Illustrated History". Frederick Allen's book was just ok. I've read several books from smaller publishers, but they're usually written on very specific subjects not general history. If you know of any others, please share!

Ironchapman, thanks for the links! Sadly, none of the southern cities measure up to being a true world class city. At least not yet.

Teshadoh, I haven't found very many good ones. The only other good one is "Atlanta: An Illustrated History". Frederick Allen's book was just ok. I've read several books from smaller publishers, but they're usually written on very specific subjects not general history. If you know of any others, please share!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would have thought that Miami would be considered a world class city. (if you consider it part of "The South")

The reason none of them feel world class is why they aren't ranked higher.

I think Atlanta is fast going to be the next "world" city in the South. I think you underestimate just how important hosting the 96 Olympic Games was for Atlanta. At the time, it was the Centennial anniversary of the modern games, and they were the most watched and the most attended in history. There were billions watching around the world, and millions of visitors in the city, large numbers from overseas. The visitors from overseas obviously liked it, because they keep coming back, some are moving there. Atlanta is quickly becoming a magnet for immigrants, and not just Latino. Asians are moving into the city and suburbs also. These are major steps toward being an international city. I spoke with some people from Australia a few years ago online, and they knew all about Atlanta, and they were from a little town in Australia. I think it's more well known than many realize. Just look at what the 92 games did for Barcelona, it wasn't recognized before that either. :)

Anybody have any updates on the Reynolds Tower going up near GaTech? I saw something about it the other day and was just curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Theres not really much to see of it yet. Heres a link to a week old pic of it on emporis.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=365566

When done it should look something like this:

color_rendering.jpg

On page 2 the poster by the name of Chris has a picture of a building near Centennial Olympic Park he labels Block 3. Does anyone know the name of that building or where he obtain that picture? I would love to read more information on that development.

Thank you in advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The building doesn't have a name yet other than Block 3. Not sure if thats the name of the property or the building but you can read a little, very little, about the building on the developers website(click: new developments). Its the same guys that are building 905 Juniper in Midtown.

gellerstedtgroup.com

Edited by Martinman

Thank you very much Martinman. Fascinating. I wonder if this will get built. This developer is responsible for the GLG Grand (Four Seasons) develpoment. Good for him.....great for Atlanta.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually they weren't directly responsible for the Grand. This is a new company formed by Larry Gellerstedt and a few others who worked for another company, Beers construction. Beers was the construction company that built the Grand and the other stuff on the front page of their website.

I think it has a good chance of getting built because they know what they're doing and I think the market for residential in the area near the park will grow. There is an awful lot of residential planned down there though so who knows.

Actually they weren't directly responsible for the Grand.  This is a new company formed by Larry Gellerstedt and a few others who worked for another company, Beers construction.  Beers was the construction company that built the Grand and the other stuff on the front page of their website.

I think it has a good chance of getting built because they know what they're doing and I think the market for residential in the area near the park will grow.  There is an awful lot of residential planned down there though so who knows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a whole lot of residential development going on in that sector of the city. Novare Groups's Centennial develpoment is going to add 1000 new residences alone. This building appears to be 50 stories. Quite alot of new homes. With the addition of the Aquarium and the World of Coca~Cola plus the Atlantic Station's many amenities, this area could become a residential boom. The Civic Center is just blocks away. I hope the developer prices the homes just right. The Museum Tower took a while to sell out but Centennial Park West, which was more pricey, sold out quicker. Perhaps it's all the amenties offered at Centennial PW.

Either was, this is good for the CBD. :)

Did they ever build that Millenuim Gate thing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Millenium Gate? Where was it supposed to be? I personally have not heard anything about such a project.

To another point though, I really wished they would have done something major with the 17th ST bridge. Such a missed opportunity to do something grand and monumental.

He's talking about this

Atlanta given Millennium Gate

The National Monuments Foundation will give Atlanta a 72-foot tall monumental gateway, called the Millennium Gate.

The $20 million monument is the largest classical work of art to be built in the United States since the construction of the Jefferson Memorial in Washington D.C., and the second monument to be built in Atlanta by this team, which previously built the Prince of Wales's Monument to the Olympic Games at Pershing Point.

Alexander Stoddard of Scotland, the chief sculptor of the Millennium Gate, will be among the presenters today at noon at the State Capitol.

A museum component designed by Edwin Schlossberg is planned inside the Millennium Gate. It will convey peaceful accomplishment over the last 2,000 years, the ascension of the United States and the resurgence of the city of Atlanta. Designed by way of an international competition opened only to students of architecture, the entries were judged by some of the most notable architects/educators: Robert A.M. Stern, Dean of Architecture at Yale University; Elizabeth Plater Zyberk, Dean of Architecture at University of Miami; Leon Krier of The Prince of Wales's Institute; Michael Dennis of Massachusetts Institute of Technology; and Carroll William Westfall, Dean of Architecture at The University of Notre Dame.

Suppposed to go somewhere at Atlantic Station. I think it would be better on Peachtree somewhere.

I just realized there's not a complete rundown of Atlanta projects on this site ...I'll try to put one together.