Metro Atlanta Projects.

derrickskugler

Good - they are keeping their downtown location. All Chiquita would be for Atlanta is another office park tenant for Alpharetta.
You are a Downtowno-fascist, Brad. Are you saying you don't care whether the world's largest banana company sets up shop on Windward Parkway?? Edited by Andrea

• 3 weeks later...

Check this out:

$45 Million Project Planned for Sweet Auburn

As part of a $45 million mixed-use redevelopment, Integral is teaming up with the historic Big Bethel AME Church to raze crumbling buildings and redo almost a whole block of Auburn. The ambitious project will feature condominiums, lofts and street-level retail.

This will be replacing the Palamont Motor Lodge (which needed to go). It's an excellent replacement if you ask me. :)

This will be replacing the Palamont Motor Lodge (which needed to go). It's an excellent replacement if you ask me.

Yeah, that area is pretty scary. I went down there one evening not long ago and must have had half a dozen guys approach me within ten minutes. I had to leave. And this within blocks of the King Center! I don't think tourists would be very impressed.

I can totally appreciate this quote from the article:

But in between Atlanta Life and the library are many run-down buildings, and the atmosphere that surrounds them is grim. Wellington Howard, owner of Georgia Insurance Brokerage, advises clients to visit him before it gets dark.

"Nighttime, the street changes," said Howard, who has been at the same spot on the avenue for 35 years. "Since I have been here, I have seen this block go from prostitution, to drugs, to neutral, to drugs again."

Are you saying you don't care whether the world's largest banana company sets up shop on Windward Parkway??

I don't care, for one. If they go to Alpharetta it will probably be better for their business. They will be closer to where their employees live. They will be closer to a more talented labor pool. The land is probably cheaper. They won't be burdened with high property taxes like in Atlanta. Windward Pkwy and Alpharetta already has a very impressive corporate portfolio, so Chiquita would naturally want to go where the prestige is.

This is what makes America a great country... freedom to do what the hell you want to.

Walmart's headquarters is in where?... Bentonville, AK or something?? I kinda like that. Its like saying F-U to big cities everywhere.

I don't care, for one. If they go to Alpharetta it will probably be better for their business. They will be closer to where their employees live. They will be closer to a more talented labor pool. The land is probably cheaper. They won't be burdened with high property taxes like in Atlanta. Windward Pkwy and Alpharetta already has a very impressive corporate portfolio, so Chiquita would naturally want to go where the prestige is.

This is what makes America a great country... freedom to do what the hell you want to.

Walmart's headquarters is in where?... Bentonville, AK or something?? I kinda like that. Its like saying F-U to big cities everywhere.

Ummmmmmmmmm, Chiquita decided to stay in Cincinnati. Which goes against every notion you put forth against being located in downtown Atlanta. Either way, since they decided to stay put, this discussion is mute. Andrea made her comment on December 8th....right before the decision to stay was made. Perhaps in your vigor to answer her you didn't see the bolden statement below her post......lol....charming though....it did cause a chuckle.

$73 million project for Buckhead

"The four-story mid-rise condos, being built by Newport Development, will range from $200,000 to $400,000, said Bob Krause, Newport president and managing partner. Townhouses in the development will start at about $600,000."

I realize a lot of folks are more excited by towers but I personally like to see low and midrise development filling in the city. Many times these lowrise projects are equivalent in scale and cost to towers. The area I live in has experienced a lot of this sort of infill going on and it hasn't been an altogether bad thing. While not as glamorous, these projects do bring people -- and families -- into the city and that has a number of positive effects.

Edited by Andrea

What appears to be construction trailers have been set up across the street from the Aqua development site. I don't know for sure that the trailers are for Aqua, but I don't know what else they could be for.

I saw that too. There is a building permit sign on the lot which is indeed for Aqua. I also heard that they've already signed a tenant for one of the retail spaces.

Wow, I went to a presentation at Terminus this evening and it is quite a project! The tower presently under construction is very cool, but it is far more extensive than that.

Did the presentation include the condo towers and how many towers total are planned for the project?

Edited by Martinman

$73 million project for Buckhead

"The four-story mid-rise condos, being built by Newport Development, will range from $200,000 to $400,000, said Bob Krause, Newport president and managing partner. Townhouses in the development will start at about $600,000."

I realize a lot of folks are more excited by towers but I personally like to see low and midrise development filling in the city. Many times these lowrise projects are equivalent in scale and cost to towers. The area I live in has experienced a lot of this sort of infill going on and it hasn't been an altogether bad thing. While not as glamorous, these projects do bring people -- and families -- into the city and that has a number of positive effects.

Andrea, I agree with you. This type of development goes a long way in making the city more urban....although many would think the 50 story tower makes the city more urban. See, I could see having a family in an intown townhome before I could a highrise....although I'm happy that Atlanta is getting both. I guess that's why I liked 2500 Peachtree so much more...it's scale was more family friendly. If only the residents average age wasn't so high.

What appears to be construction trailers have been set up across the street from the Aqua development site. I don't know for sure that the trailers are for Aqua, but I don't know what else they could be for.

All I can do is....... :yahoo:

Wow, I went to a presentation at Terminus this evening and it is quite a project! The tower presently under construction is very cool, but it is far more extensive than that.

Come on Andrea spill the beans.........inquiring minds want to know. BTW, they are really going up fast on the Terminus complex.

Andrea, I agree with you. This type of development goes a long way in making the city more urban....although many would think the 50 story tower makes the city more urban. See, I could see having a family in an intown townhome before I could a highrise....although I'm happy that Atlanta is getting both. I guess that's why I liked 2500 Peachtree so much more...it's scale was more family friendly. If only the residents average age wasn't so high.

Yes. I think a lot of the new condos in some parts of town are aimed at singles and couples, which is terrific. But if the city is going to really make it as an urban community it needs families, too. Average folks shouldn't feel that they have to move to the burbs to raise their family in a good environment.

Come on Andrea spill the beans.........inquiring minds want to know. BTW, they are really going up fast on the Terminus complex.

Oops, sorry, I misunderstood! Altogether there are five towers planned.

:lol:

Edited by Andrea

I wasnt sure where to post this and it relates to the beltline but all I can say is :yahoo:

I've always thought there needed to be a major park somehwere on the westside.

Atlanta to acquire quarry for Beltline

"The city of Atlanta plans to buy active Bellwood Quarry in its northwest quadrant and convert it to a major park and drinking reservoir along the Beltline loop of transit, trails and greenspace being created around downtown and Midtown.

The Atlanta City Council and Fulton County Commission must approve the mayor's proposal in order to transform the noisy quarry near growing neighborhoods into 351-acre Westside Park, which would be the city's largest and the first sizeable acquisition of greenspace along the 22-mile Beltline."

I wasnt sure where to post this and it relates to the beltline but all I can say is :yahoo:

I've always thought there needed to be a major park somehwere on the westside.

Atlanta to acquire quarry for Beltline

"The city of Atlanta plans to buy active Bellwood Quarry in its northwest quadrant and convert it to a major park and drinking reservoir along the Beltline loop of transit, trails and greenspace being created around downtown and Midtown.

The Atlanta City Council and Fulton County Commission must approve the mayor's proposal in order to transform the noisy quarry near growing neighborhoods into 351-acre Westside Park, which would be the city's largest and the first sizeable acquisition of greenspace along the 22-mile Beltline."

Well, this is certainly good news! I wonder what it will look like when (and if) it is completed? I'm guessing they'll fill the quarry with water. Let's hope it's passed.

BTW: I don't think I've ever seen you use the :yahoo: smilie, Martinman. ;)

@Andrea: No word on the heights of these towers, is there?

"The city of Atlanta plans to buy active Bellwood Quarry in its northwest quadrant and convert it to a major park and drinking reservoir along the Beltline loop of transit, trails and greenspace being created around downtown and Midtown."

Yay!!

You know, I did the Beltline tour via bike a few years ago and rode out to that quarry. There was no one at the gate so I was able to go in and look around. It's one *big* old hole and would make an excellent lake. (See picture below).

If I'm not mistaken quite a number of stone quarries around the country have been reclaimed as park land, and this one would be terrific.

Bellwood.jpg

Edited by Andrea

Well, this is certainly good news! I wonder what it will look like when (and if) it is completed? I'm guessing they'll fill the quarry with water. Let's hope it's passed.

IC, I think reclamation of the quarry has been considered one of the key elements of the Beltline since the early stages. I know it used to be on the tour, which they probably took down due to wall climbing nitwits like me.

Fulton County actually owns the quarry, although it is on long term lease to Vulcan. (Please, nice people in Birmingham, let us have our quarry back, we'll give you some other rocks).

Here's a mockup someone did showing what it might look like:

Westside.jpg

Edited by Andrea

It is definitely a better option than what was proposed 2 years ago - a massive sewer detention pond for the CSO area in downtown. But this is a great way to start spending the beltline money, buy something everyone supports & maybe people will be lighten up about the number of residential projects that will be pushed through the NPU's.