Metro Atlanta Projects.

derrickskugler

No doubt. Wonder what will happen with the Disco Kroger property, for instance?

Well, you do remember about Buckhead Place which is suppose to start in the first quarter of 2006. And that is going to have a great Peachtree street level presence and the little office building in front of the Disco Kroger is to be torn down in the Spring.

Edited by atlla

Well, you do remember about Buckhead Place which is suppose to start in the first quarter of 2006. And that is going to have a great Peachtree street level presence and the little office building in front of the Disco Kroger is to be torn down in the Spring.

Yes, I do remember that. The Disco Kroger property is maybe what, an additional 10-12 acres? They could do something very cool there.

Yes, I do remember that. The Disco Kroger property is maybe what, an additional 10-12 acres? They could do something very cool there.

Where is the Disco Kroger property and do the developers of Terminus already own the property that they plan to add another 4 towers on? Any idea when the next will begin to go up?

Man, I was just thinking -- this lake at the quarry will be one where you definitely don't want to be strolling too close to the shore. One slip on the wet grass and it's 300 feet straight down!! Better keep the little kiddies back from the edge, too!

:w00t:

image_2132443.jpg

Hard to believe it's within city limits, considering it'ssize & scope.

Hard to believe it's within city limits, considering it'ssize & scope.

I was recently in the area just north of here around Bolton road/Marietta Road and I couldn't believe I was still in Atlanta. I had never been in this part of the city before. The area is hilly with a lot of trees and feels a lot like a small town. Even in its current part gentrifying, part blighted state I think its already beautiful.

Here's some of the great new development coming to the area

Bolton Village

comm_plan_design_bolton_village.jpg

Bolton Crossing

commercial.jpg

Well, it's northwest Atlanta. I would say the quarry is probably 3-4 miles this side of the county line.

I thought I read this morning in the AJC that the quarry passed some sort of hurdle on its way to being approved. (I don'thave access to the paper and I can't seem to find it on AJC.com, but I'm sure I read it). It was just a little bit in the Metro Section.

I'd imagine they'd be adding a little dirt or sand or something to it to give it some slope so that the drop off of the lake they'll build in it won't seem so steep.

While I'm here, is there anyone who'd like to predict what part of the Beltline will come next?

Edited by ironchapman

I'd imagine they'd be adding a little dirt or sand or something to it to give it some slope so that the drop off of the lake they'll build in it won't seem so steep.

How would that work, I wonder? I can see tapering the shoreline up to the lake, but it seems like when you get to the edge you'll still have a sudden 300 foot vertical drop. Or, I guess you could build up inside the pit, but unless you basically fill the whole thing at some point you're still going to have a super-steep drop off.

Maybe they could install a giant safety net underneath the entire surface of the lake? I know that sounds a little far fetched but the surface area is not all that huge.

Perhaps I'm making a mountain out of a molehill and it's not really a safety concern. I was just thinking about my dog and how she loves to splash in the shallows of every lake and stream we pass. I've seen little kids do the same thing, and adults, too, for that matter. It might be quite a shock if they thought they could wade out a few feet from shore like you can in most lakes.

Twelve Centennial now has a webcam where we can follow its progress as well as 55 Allen Plaza.

and

The Mansion on Peachtree has updated their website with a bit more info, views etc. What a beautiful building this is going to be.

I just love the Mansion on Peachtree.......

Man, I was just thinking -- this lake at the quarry will be one where you definitely don't want to be strolling too close to the shore. One slip on the wet grass and it's 300 feet straight down!! Better keep the little kiddies back from the edge, too!

image_2132443.jpg

When I saw this picture that was the first thing that came to my mind....either watch the children of have them wearing floatation devices at all times. That's one deeeeeeeeeeeeeep lake.

image_2132443.jpg

In the sunday AJC theres already a little debate about this. One urban planners' idea was to split the reservoir with a damn and use one half for rafting rides, a waterfall, a beach, rock climbing and a have a host of sporting acitvities in the park. The other planner thinks the entire park should be for passive uses.

The area is pretty hilly so either way, part of this cliff, will probably remain visible on one side of the lake.

What an incredible boost to what must be the most forgotten part of the city. The most frequent comment I've heard since news about the park broke is "where exactly is this quarry?"

Park could bloom in urban wasteland?

Edited by Martinman

The area is pretty hilly so either way, part of this cliff, will probably remain visible on one side of the lake.

What an incredible boost to what must be the most forgotten part of the city. The most frequent comment I've heard since news about the park broke is "where exactly is this quarry?"

Park could bloom in urban wasteland?

The park will probably be a success, if you ask me. The area it is located in could make a great little urban retreat with the forest, the lake, and the cliff (should it remain visible).

It would be the largest urban park built in the last 30 years anywhere in America and it would be twice the size o Piedmont. This is quite a project.

Another project for the resurging Aurburn Ave. district:

Donors will build new SCLC office

When you add this, the re-development plan backed by Integral and Big Bethel Church, and the possibility of a Civil Rights Museum things look very promising ideed.

Now, about that sale of the King Center to the Feds.... If the family can't take care of it properly, lets give it to someone who can.

Halpern, Mason hatch mixed-use plans for Beltline - ABC

"Two local developers are proposing a mixed-use project along the Beltline, where Amsterdam Walk in Midtown now stands.

Jack Halpern, president of Halpern Enterprises Inc., and Beltline developer Wayne Mason plan to combine adjoining properties for the project, which will include at least 135,000 square feet of retail space and an undetermined number of residential units."

Mason was quick to point out....

"We're not trying to build a high-rise but something to fit into the neighborhood."

Edited by Martinman

Pedestrian Enhancements, Pocket Parks Highlight Peachtree Transformation Plans

"As part of its Midtown Cityscapes program, Midtown Alliance will invest $4 million in pocket parks and intersection improvements along Peachtree Street at North Avenue, Ponce de Leon, 10th Street, 14th Street, 15th Street and West Peachtree Street. The improvements will be funded by a $2 million grant from the Robert W. Woodruff Foundation and matched by $2 million from the Midtown Improvement District. Construction is set to begin in the first quarter of 2006."

Love it!....now if we can just pick up the pace DT streetscape work.

Edited by Martinman