Metro Atlanta Projects.

derrickskugler

Emporis now as 45 Allen plaza as under construstion. Is that true?

A business chronicle article in December said they were doing the foundation work on 45 and were still in negotiations with Starwood to run the hotel (as a W) but I don't know if they need a crane to do foundation work. I hope they are. I think the buildout of the Centennial Hill master plan will be HUGE for downtown.

Its kinda impressive driving down Allen Blvd with all those cranes looming above.

Edited by Martinman

A business chronicle article in December said they were doing the foundation work on 45 and were still in negotiations with Starwood to run the hotel but I don't know if they need a crane to do foundation work. I hope they are. I think the buildout of the Centennial Hill master plan will be HUGE for downtown.

Its kinda impressive driving down Allen Blvd with all those cranes looming above.

I agree!!! Are there any renderings of what 45 AP will look like. The building in the "Night" rendering on the AP website looks pretty blah.

About the $65 million Cumberland Mall renovation. From AJC:

The former Macy's has been demolished, and the mall is growing outward from there. The new entrance will have restaurants and boutiques totalling 77,000 square feet leading into the renovated mall.

General Growth calls the new dining and shopping area "the streetscape." A similar streetscape project at Perimeter was completed in 2000.

Maggiano's Little Italy, a national chain with restaurants at Perimeter Mall and in Buckhead, has signed on as the first tenant of the new dining and shopping area. The restaurant and banquet space will occupy nearly 17,000 square feet of the new space.

Pascale said there will be four upscale restaurants in the new area. He declined to name the other restaurants, saying only that a very popular local steakhouse will be part of the lineup. The other two restaurants will offer Asian and Irish fare, he said.

image_2209174.jpg

Also, the JC Penny will be demolished this year and a Costco will open at Cumberland next year.

Edited by bfermanich

I like it. I'd love to see malls evolve into more outward oriented spaces.

I'd love to see malls evolve into non-existant spaces. :D Aren't there supposed be condos going up at Cumberland? or was that Cobb Galleria (are there even stores in there?)... I would love to see both of those structures come down and have a new urbanist development take there positions. It would be in Cobb's best interest to have something more like a real city than a mall with scattered towers nearby, if they truly want to compete with Downtown Atlanta.

I'd love to see malls evolve into non-existant spaces. :D Aren't there supposed be condos going up at Cumberland? or was that Cobb Galleria (are there even stores in there?)... I would love to see both of those structures come down and have a new urbanist development take there positions. It would be in Cobb's best interest to have something more like a real city than a mall with scattered towers nearby, if they truly want to compete with Downtown Atlanta.

I hate to admit it but I agree with you.

If I had the choice between the two I'd go with the more pedestrian-friendly new-urbanist route. But we know that would never happen. General Growth (the mall owner) is stuck in its "mall mode". No doubt the rehabilitation of Cumberland is a great thing for Cobb County and Atlanta.

However, for the sake of argument, who is to say that this new-urbanist trend isn't the end all ultimate answer to traditional malls? 30-40 years ago mall-mania was the equivalent of today's new-urbanist movement. And now malls everywhere are struggling to keep up with changing social trends. Out-door malls were once popular (the same analogy can be made for sports stadiums). Then they were eventually replaced by indoor malls and stadiums in the 70's and 80's. Now the trend is outdoor again with developments like Atlantic Station and various suburban outdoor lifestyle centers like The Avenue. Indoor malls, although still popular, are being outperformed by these lifestyle centers because people want a more urban feel.

So what will be the next popular thing 20 years from now? Will malls rein supreme once again after the sun burns away our atmosphere and the surface of the earth becomes unhabitable because of UV radiation wink.gif

just a thought...

Turner Adds Two Studios, Eight Stories to Midtown Campus

If you see a popular movie star around Midtown in the next several months, it may be because they are working in one of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.'s two new state-of-the-art studios.

Turner is expanding its Midtown presence at its 10 th Street and Techwood Avenue campus with the addition of a 260,000-square-foot office complex housing the broadcast studios and eight stories of office space. The studio facility will stage Turner's "Dinner and a Movie" program as well as several other Turner South productions. New offices will house Turner's growing workforce as well as consolidate employee groups from downtown's CNN Center and the Techwood campus. The studio space will be completed as early as March 2006.

Turner_web.jpg

Edited by Martinman

Globest.com reports that The Brookwood, as well as two other area condo developments, have broken ground.

ATLANTA-Three area condominium and retail projects valued at a total $132 million have broken ground in the metro area. Locally based Urban Realty Partners and Savannah-based Melaver Inc. are developing the $100-milion, 19 story, 275-unit Brookwood in south Buckhead. Marietta builder Roger DeBoy has started the $20-million, 36-home Emerson Overlook. And 3400 Partners LLC has broken ground on the $12-million, 125-unit Eco Lofts in suburban Chamblee.
Edited by Martinman