Metro Atlanta Projects.

derrickskugler

Nope, no mention of a release date. Hopefully not too soon because I still need to meet with them over our proposal for the street level treatment on West Peachtree Place. A member of my condo board said she would set up a meeting but it never happened so I need make that happen.

The problem with making the residential buildings similar to the rest of Allen Plaza is that the market is getting flooded with Novare glass boxes. Sure, they might put a spire on the roof or play with some set backs but in general, they are still mostly glass boxes. I suspect Barry wants to go for a higher end of the market and is going to need a way to make the buildings stand out from the crowd.

I was promised that the old idea (about three years old) of making a building look like a giant fish is not up for consideration. Glad that got abandoned, along with the early design of the World of Coke that looked like a giant coke bottle laying on its side.

Edited by AubieTurtle

Nope, no mention of a release date. Hopefully not too soon because I still need to meet with them over our proposal for the street level treatment on West Peachtree Place. A member of my condo board said she would set up a meeting but it never happened so I need make that happen.

The problem with making the residential buildings similar to the rest of Allen Plaza is that the market is getting flooded with Novare glass boxes. Sure, they might put a spire on the roof or play with some set backs but in general, they are still mostly glass boxes. I suspect Barry wants to go for a higher end of the market and is going to need a way to make the buildings stand out from the crowd.

I was promised that the old idea (about three years old) of making a building look like a giant fish is not up for consideration. Glad that got abandoned, along with the early design of the World of Coke that looked like a giant coke bottle laying on its side.

What is your proposal to them?

• 2 weeks later...

Peachtree Street Bridge Replacement at Five Points

Believe it or not, Peachtree Street in front of the Five Points MARTA station is actually a bridge. It is decades old and in need of replacement. To accomplish this re-construction beginning

July 23, 2006 the following road closures and detours will be in affect for approximately two years:

1. Peachtree Street between Marietta/Decatur and Alabama Streets will be closed entirely to all vehicular and foot traffic.

2. Peachtree Street between Alabama Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive will be closed to vehicular traffic, except local access

3. Forsyth Street between Marietta and Alabama Streets will be closed to vehicular traffic, except buses. This block will be buses only.

4. Forsyth Street between Alabama Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive will be closed to vehicular traffic, except local access

• 3 weeks later...

Earlier today the very first elements of the Downtown and Midtown Wayfinding System signs were installed. Three vehicular directional signs along Peachtree Street near Woodruff Park and Peachtree Center and one along International Boulevard near Centennial Olympic Park were put in the place. These signs are a work in progress and just the beginning of a projected three-month long installation process of 252 vehicular, pedestrian and map kiosk signs.

first%20wayfinding%20sign_large.jpg

When the F*** did there become SoNo? What is the actual boundary of the area....I-75/85, North, and Piedmont? If so, why are you trying to direct people there....why not put, hospital?

Places are supposed to grow organically.....not but marketing that's worked in 20 other cities.

When the F*** did there become SoNo? What is the actual boundary of the area....I-75/85, North, and Piedmont? If so, why are you trying to direct people there....why not put, hospital?

Places are supposed to grow organically.....not but marketing that's worked in 20 other cities.

I've never even heard of that area as many times as I have been to the Atlanta area. :lol: Key word(s) "worked in 20 other cities."

I was going to say the same thing--never heard of SoNo.

I think it's just a new title for the area that used to be called Bedford Pine. But it's part of the Imagine Downtown plan and it has its own neighborhood association, too.

http://www.sonoatlanta.com/

http://www.centralatlantaneighbors.org/

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/ImagineDown..._The_Vision.asp

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/sto.../28/focus2.html

Edited by Andrea

I was going to say the same thing--never heard of SoNo.

I live in SoNo. Yes, I admit it's a bit contrived and cheesy and oh-so "New Yorky".

Obviously, it's short for "South of North". I believe the southern boundary is Ralph McGill, the northern boundary is (duh) North Avenue, the eastern is Central Park Place, and the western is the Downtown Connector.

Edited by shanthemanatl

Thanks for the link, Andrea.

As an aside, I would highly encourage everyone to go see BODIES...The Exhibition. I got a chance to view this exhibition in Los Angeles, and I was thoroughly fascinated. Don't miss it!

I agree, it's money well-spent. It's at the Civic Center in SoNo.... :P

Edited by shanthemanatl

Earlier today the very first elements of the Downtown and Midtown Wayfinding System signs were installed. Three vehicular directional signs along Peachtree Street near Woodruff Park and Peachtree Center and one along International Boulevard near Centennial Olympic Park were put in the place. These signs are a work in progress and just the beginning of a projected three-month long installation process of 252 vehicular, pedestrian and map kiosk signs.

first%20wayfinding%20sign_large.jpg

Those look neat. :thumbsup:

But yeah...SoNo? I shall call it that from now on, rest assured.

"South of North" sounds cool, maybe because we're not used to seeing opposites juxtaposed this way. It's also very clear (for anyone familiar with Atlanta) that it means south of North Avenue.

"SoNo" just sounds contrived and derivative, something a McMarketer knocked out in 15 seconds. It's been done way too many times before.

BUT... the signs look great!

Edited by mahanakorn

American Cancer Society to move downtown

Office at Inforum will have 550 people

By MARIA SAPORTA, WALTER WOODS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/08/06

Downtown Atlanta got another big real estate boost Tuesday with the announcement by Cousins Properties that it has signed a major tenant to occupy 274,000 square feet at the Inforum.

People familiar with the transaction say the tenant is the American Cancer Society, which previously announced its intention to move from its headquarters on Clifton Road because it was cramped for space.

The American Cancer Society currently employs 550 people at its headquarters, and all those employees are expected to relocate in the Inforum, which is owned by Cousins Properties.

This is a one-two punch for both downtown and Cousins Properties.

Last week, Cousins announced its intention to buy the 191 building on Peachtree Street with plans to move its headquarters there from Cobb County