Metro Atlanta Projects.

derrickskugler

This has the potential to reshape our city. While the Beltline is certainly larger in scope, it is also about 15 years away from being a reality. This could be implemented in 4-5 years. For anyone who lives in Atlanta, we need to make sure our elected officials know this is a priority.

Ryan, I think this is possibly the most significant project going at this time. I completely agree with you that as citizens we really need to keep the pressure on!

image_4873895.jpg

Towers add to S. Cobb push to be metro hub

By WALTER WOODS , PAUL DONSKY

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 11/03/06

As part of a grand effort to create a citylike professional and social center in south Cobb County, a developer has won the right to build a prominent pair of high-rise buildings beside a new performing arts center and overlooking I-75.

A company tied to developer John Williams, a key donor who helped finance the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center, plans to bring an intown flavor to the suburbs by creating a walkable focus of activity near the venue.

Williams' Grove Street Partners plans a 15-story office building and an 18-story hotel-condominium tower, as well as ground-level restaurants, shops and a central plaza.

The towers would complement the $145 million arts center, set to open next year as the new home of the Atlanta Opera, and the burgeoning Cumberland-Galleria area, home to corporate headquarters such as The Home Depot and Russell Athletic.

This is very exciting. Atlanta has developed along the north-south Peachtree axis almost from the beginning, and the Peachtree Corridor Task Force may now have the resources to knit the parts into a cohesive whole to a degree beyond anything we've seen yet.

The Task Force has just launched its new website:

http://www.peachtreecorridor.com/

Finally! I've been impatiently waiting to see what they've come up with and I agree 1000% with whats been said about the importance and potential of this project.

It's funny.....people flee to the suburbs to escape the city, and then projects get built in the suburbs to replicate urban cores (just poorly executed) on the assumption that its what people want. I'm certainly pro any type of responsible development, but I'm wondering what the thought process is, "People want to live/work/play in a city, as long as they witness the city being built where a pasture was"?"

It's funny.....people flee to the suburbs to escape the city, and then projects get built in the suburbs to replicate urban cores (just poorly executed) on the assumption that its what people want. I'm certainly pro any type of responsible development, but I'm wondering what the thought process is, "People want to live/work/play in a city, as long as they witness the city being built where a pasture was"?"

Very interesting point of question, ATLRVR. It would be an interesting study into people's living habits and behaviors.

Of course, I gave up trying to figure out people a long time ago.

I mean, what sense does it make that a metropolis of 5 million people has no viable option of transportation outside of their cars?

People will continue to live in the suburbs - as long as that is where they work. That isn't going to change in Atlanta or any US city, much of the 'new' economy is situated in the edge / edgeless cities of the suburbs. In that case, I don't we can justify our exclusiveness regarding urbanism, & the suburbs can be transformed - just as the city has been transformed in the past 50 years.

They probably like the ideas of skyscrapers, shops, attractions, and walkable districts without the homeless and poor that one finds in a city nowadays. It's not right or wrong, it's just how it is.

This is very exciting. Atlanta has developed along the north-south Peachtree axis almost from the beginning, and the Peachtree Corridor Task Force may now have the resources to knit the parts into a cohesive whole to a degree beyond anything we've seen yet.

The Task Force has just launched its new website:

http://www.peachtreecorridor.com/

That Peachtree Corridor looks like an excellent, exciting project. It certainly has the potential to result in one of the best single streets in this country. It's impressive now, it will be doubly so in the near future.

Edited by moonshield

They probably like the ideas of skyscrapers, shops, attractions, and walkable districts without the homeless and poor that one finds in a city nowadays. It's not right or wrong, it's just how it is.

No...it is wrong. Call a spade a spade. Escaping from reality, where homelesness and poverty is evident, to a world where one can abdicate any sort of civic responsibility is wrong.

Here is an article that addresses what you guys are speaking about...

As inner cities transform, so do suburbs

Published on: 10/30/06

To Americans, the idea of rioting suburbanites is almost comical, conjuring roving gangs of middle-aged white men in polo shirts and khakis, "liberating" fishing rods from the Orvis store and gas barbecues from the Home Depot.

It's not so funny in France, though, where suburban riots outside Paris a year ago left more than 1,400 cars aflame in a single night, and where violence flared up again, if on a lesser scale, just last week.

The rioters are mainly members of France's Arab and black minorities, which have had trouble joining the French mainstream. They have been segregated not in the inner city but in the suburbs, while the more affluent concentrate in expensive downtown areas.

That's a mirror image of traditional American housing patterns, but if you look at the numbers, and if you look at what's happening in Atlanta's urban core and its inner ring of suburbs, you can see that changing...

Full Article

No...it is wrong. Call a spade a spade. Escaping from reality, where homelesness and poverty is evident, to a world where one can abdicate any sort of civic responsibility is wrong.

How does fleeing to the suburbs equal an abdication of civic responsibility? Can one perform his/her civic duties only within an urban context? I also wouldn't equate cities with reality. Just as there is an urban reality, there is also a suburban reality and a rural reality. I'm all for urban development, but sometimes people just want a change in their reality for whatever reason, and I don't think they should be denigrated for making those changes.

Considering there are numerous Atlanta suburbs that are more violent, have greater poverty than several Atlanta neighborhoods - I think the old arguement is no longer valid. Is living in Forest Park escaping from reality compared to Virginia Highlands? Even arguements oriented toward race are no longer valid - especially as Atlanta gentrifies. Out of 3 Atlanta neighborhoods, the only place I've yet to live as a minority has been in Sandy Springs.

Nonetheless, again - my point about the liklihood that suburban residents live there due to suburban jobs. These cross-commuters are no more civicly responsible as suburban to city commuters. Rather than concentrating on - only citizens that live within an arbitrary line of demarcation - can be respected as contributing to the greater good, is getting old.

Some new info this morning that Barry Realty is planning a mixed use development next to Allen Plaza with office, retail, and dining. There is supposedly a plan to develop a similar community off of 85 and N. Druid Hills.

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/sto...2789200^1370366

EDIT NOTE: I didn't read the article until I posted it, but I heard on the radio this morning that there is supposed to be more to Allen Plaza than just 30, 40, 45, and 50 (i.e. they mention a Post property near WOC). It says it will encompass 9 city blocks.

I can't find an article about the N. Druid Hills project, but I think it was Barry Realty as well.

Edited by adelosky

Some new info this morning that Barry Realty is planning a mixed use development next to Allen Plaza with office, retail, and dining. There is supposedly a plan to develop a similar community off of 85 and N. Druid Hills.

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/sto...2789200^1370366

EDIT NOTE: I didn't read the article until I posted it, but I heard on the radio this morning that there is supposed to be more to Allen Plaza than just 30, 40, 45, and 50 (i.e. they mention a Post property near WOC). It says it will encompass 9 city blocks.

I can't find an article about the N. Druid Hills project, but I think it was Barry Realty as well.

Great news! Especially the retail and residentail components.

The Daily Report says a $177 million financing agreement with Morgan Stanley has been completed for the St. Regis. According to the article:

"The [26-story hotel/condo tower], scheduled to open in November 2008, is to be located at Buckhead Plaza on West Paces Ferry Road.

It will be the first hotel in Atlanta for St. Regis, the ultra-premium hotel brand owned by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. Starwood will operate the Atlanta hotel. A majority of the building’s condominium units have already been sold, at prices of about $900 per square foot..."

• 2 weeks later...

Developers team up, build lofts south of Five Points station

Group aims to improve south central area of downtown - AJC

Three developers with track records of retooling blighted neighborhoods have teamed up to restore Atlanta's south central business district. They envision turning old office buildings into lofts and rental apartments, and constructing new apartment buildings and retail shops. The developers
Edited by Martinman

Midtown Alliance Annual Meeting Update

I attended the Midtown Alliance Annual Meeting this morning (aka Midtown Pep Rally) and they didn't really give much more information on future projects than we already seem to know.

However, a couple of key takeaways of future projects that they talked about were:

When they showed a rendering of Viewpoint Midtown, it only had two towers. However, it was that updated picture that is floating around on here with the "wavy top." Retail will extend to the corners and will be two stories all the way around.

They showed the rendering of Onyx that is on this site and said it was currently under construction.

They had a NEW rendering of Trump Towers and Hotel Palomar. The Trump Towers rendering made the buildings look taller and it definitely is silver glass now. This rendering looked MUCH better than the original two that we saw. It also looked like it had better looking retail...maybe higher and more pronounced now.

Hotel Palomar no longer has the balconies anymore and instead of the top half being different than the bottom it is split into different materials from left to right. Meaning that the glass changes in the middle of the building but is continuous from the ground to the top floor. Hard to explain..but it looks better I think.

They did do a 30 sec flyover on Google earth that had all the proposed projects Midtown Alliance is currently looking at. These projects renderings were only outlined in blue (as to not give away details yet that the developer will want to announce), but there were MANY projects along Peachtree and even some on Spring and W. Peachtree (maybe where those huge parking lots are on the corner of 17th and Spring) that we haven't heard anything about. Large buildings were definitely marked out for the lots to the left and right of Viewpoint Midtown. If all these projects happened, it really would make it the Midtown Mile!

Edited by jhelinski