Metro Atlanta Projects.

derrickskugler

^Cool. Looks like a Novare project; is this to be located in Midtown?

Yes. Between 6th & 7th / P'tree and Juniper. Across from The Spire. My guess would be that the model is in the soon-to-be sales center inside The Spire...

Edited by pksiv

Yes. Between 6th & 7th / P'tree and Juniper. Across from The Spire. My guess would be that the model is in the soon-to-be sales center inside The Spire...

Yes. And despite all of the Novare projects around the city, that model seems to be creating a lot of buzz as people see it through the window.

^Cool. Looks like a Novare project; is this to be located in Midtown?

Yes its this one.

Viewpoint

Edited by Martinman

More on Viewpoint....

the website up and it is pretty slick :good:

Very nice! I was walking by there last night and thought what an excellent addition to Midtown that will be.

Martinman, are they building just the first two buildings at this point? The photo has sort of a shadow image of what looks like a third tower.

Edited by Andrea

Very nice! I was walking by there last night and thought what an excellent addition to Midtown that will be.

Martinman, are they building just the first two buildings at this point? The photo has sort of a shadow image of what looks like a third tower.

I attended several of the DRC meetings and they made a point that the "current" project only consisted of 2 buildings. Even though everyone knows that they want to build 3. I was also surprised that the model in the Sales center actually has 3 buildings, with the 2 on Juniper just blank outlines. I made the assumption that it has something to do with the variances they were asking for.

One of the big issues for people in my building, The Dakota, was the treatment on the parking garage bays. All of the "openings" in the parking deck will actually have glass in them so as to minimize the light that escapes. Because all of the parking structures will eventually be joined into one big structure, Novare will be leaving the back of the structure open, and has 18 months(not sure if that's the final number) after completion of one building to break ground on the next or the have to enclose the open side of the deck with the glass treatments.

• 1 month later...

Project will give new look to Perimeter - AJC article

'High Street' mixed-use project across the street from the Dunwoody MARTA station

A Boston-based development group has selected a 36-acre parcel next to Perimeter Mall and the Dunwoody MARTA station for its first metro Atlanta mixed-use project.

GID Urban Development Group plans to ask the DeKalb County Commission to rezone the parcel for 3,000 residential units, 400,000 square feet of retail, 400,000 square feet of office and 400 hotel rooms.

image_5373193.jpg

Edited by Martinman

Project will give new look to Perimeter - AJC article

'High Street' mixed-use project across the street from the Dunwoody MARTA station

A Boston-based development group has selected a 36-acre parcel next to Perimeter Mall and the Dunwoody MARTA station for its first metro Atlanta mixed-use project.

GID Urban Development Group plans to ask the DeKalb County Commission to rezone the parcel for 3,000 residential units, 400,000 square feet of retail, 400,000 square feet of office and 400 hotel rooms.

image_5373193.jpg

I have always wondered why that parcel remained undeveloped. Being literally across the street from the Dunwoody MARTA Station and Perimeter Mall will definitely be a plus. I do agree with Catherine Ross though. While this development is great, this area is extremely congested and more development of this type will be needed and they will have to interconnect to make them meaningful.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but this project is underway in Cobb County. It appeared as though they're digging the foundation (I was in Atlanta for the past few days in the Vinings area).

There are a TON of projects happening in Vinings right now, all within a 1 mile radius of me! :) :)

(If some of these have been discussed already, I apologize. I am new and didn't go through every post in this thread - just a cursory look.)

In immediate "downtown" Vinings, along with the Aberdeen announced above, there is:

(1) Vinings Main, a mixed use space with condos, townhomes, and shops/restaurants

(2) Avignon at Vinings, a European-themed residential neighborhood with condos, townhomes, and $1M+ villas.

The advantage of these two projects as well as the Aberdeen are the amazing views that the higher floors/hilltop homes will have of Buckhead and downtown Atlanta. Just breathtaking.

On Cobb Parkway and Cumberland Blvd:

(3) Park Vinings, a project that was dead for a few years but is now back in action with already some units sold. Prices range from $1M - $12M for penthouses.

(4) Riverwood Mixed Use, on the NW corner of Cobb Parkway and Cumberland Blvd. A mixed-use developement with condos, stores (including a grocery store which rumors say could be a Whole Foods), office space, and a hotel.

Further down closer to I-75/I-285, there is the ready-to-open Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center which will eventually also feature performances from the Atlanta Opera. Along with the Performing Arts Center, there will be two towers (one 18 stories, the other 15 stories) with residences, hotel space, and offices. Finally, across I-75, is the soon-to-be-developed Shops at Overton Park.

There are also future plans for more redevelopment near the Galleria too. Very exciting time for Vinings! :)

Edited by maverick

^You're right, Vinings is seeing substantial investment these days.

I really like the design of the new performing arts center; I didn't go in that area last time I was there. I'm going to have to try to remember to do that next time.

And the Avignon, Vinings Main, and Aberdeen projects will certainly have killer views of the downtown and Buckhead skylines, especially being located on that incline.

• 9 months later...

From the Business Chronicle...

Cox is proposing a 28-story office tower at its campus near Perimeter Mall to house its rapidly growing AutoTrader division. They plan to consolidate Auto Trader offices in the building and create up to 400 new jobs. Cousins will develop the building.

From the Business Chronicle...

Cox is proposing a 28-story office tower at its campus near Perimeter Mall to house its rapidly growing AutoTrader division. They plan to consolidate Auto Trader offices in the building and create up to 400 new jobs. Cousins will develop the building.

Cox is growing by leaps and bounds. They are busting at the seems. This location is prime for highrise development. It's MARTA accessible (Medical Center Station) which should make for easy approval. I applaude Cox for proposing the building on Lake Hearn and not further north near the Cox Communications headquarters.

From the AJC...

InterContinental Hotels Group will build 19 new hotels throughout the metro area by 2010 including a Crowne Plaza at N. Druid Hills, a Crowne Plaza at the Streets of Buckhead, Staybridge Suites in Midtown and the Hotel Indigo downtown. Most of the suburban properties will be Holiday Inn or Express.

They wouldn't discuss the rumor that an Intercontinental hotel would be a part of the planned 1400 Peachtree project just north of the arts center. The article also mentions that Mandarin and Ritz are also rumored to be planning Midtown hotels.

article

Edited by Martinman

GM has put its 165-acre Doraville campus up for sale. Its location near the convergence of Interstates 285 and 85 , proximity to DeKalb Peachtree Airport, and acess to Marta gives the site enormous potential as a mixed-use urban center and could give the city of Doraville a new town center.

The Doraville Project

Edited by Martinman

Speaking of closed auto plants...

Jacoby Development's proposal for the 128-acre Ford Hapeville redevelopment includes

2.1 million square feet of class A offices

1.6 million square feet of retail

1,440 hotel rooms and a 980,000 square foot conference center

a 500,000-square-foot data center

conceptual master plan (pdf)

As far as residential, an adjacent new urban village called Asbury Park will have 2100 residences and 70,000 sf of retail.

AsburyPark.jpg

apartments (which may already be completed)

AP3.jpg

some townhomes under construction

AP.jpg

Edited by Martinman

• 1 month later...

Triarc Cos. which owns Arby's and is in the process of acquiring Wendy's is scouting Atlanta for up to 250,000 square feet of offices -- a move that could bring at least 1,000 jobs to the area. The current offices are in the Perimeter submarket.

"When this deal closes, Atlanta will be home to the third-largest [fast-food] restaurant company in the nation, and we're excited to be here," said Triarc spokeswoman Cathie Koch.

Business Chronicle article

Edited by Martinman