Metro Atlanta Projects.

derrickskugler

Its been a good few weeks for jobs locally. In May Research In Motion, developer of the BlackBerry, announced plans to add about 200 high-tech jobs and homegrown Cbeyond announced an expansion creating 600 jobs.

Yes Martinman, I agree. It has been a few great weeks of job announcements. In addition to Research in Motion (200) Cbeyond (600), NCR (1250)- plus F500 headquarters relocation, there is also Chico's (189) and Verizon (600). From what I hear, there are more down the pipeline.

I'm sure that everyone understands the importance of having a F500 move to the metro. It is a major technology company that will go a long way with helping the Metro Atlanta are really diversify is industrial base. This could also help other tech companies understand the value of the metro Atlanta area. This is in addition to the growing bioscience industry that is taking shape in the region.

Edited by Lady Celeste

The ABC did a special investigation on population growth and presented a detailed report on the projected status of our top 250 metropolitan areas in 2025. It was rather interesting. They project Atlanta to be the sixth largest metropolitan area in the country in 2025 with a population of 7.3 million. Ahead of us would be NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas, and Houston.

http://www.bizjournals.com/edit_special/80.html

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/metro/...t_protests.html

This is absolutely ridiculous. Can I start building a mansion, run out of money, stop in the middle of construction, and then beg taxpayers for LOTS of money just because it won't look good to have an unfinished building?

Sembler is as repulsive of a company as their Midtown West development was a repulsive development.

• 4 weeks later...

The ABC did a special investigation on population growth and presented a detailed report on the projected status of our top 250 metropolitan areas in 2025. It was rather interesting. They project Atlanta to be the sixth largest metropolitan area in the country in 2025 with a population of 7.3 million. Ahead of us would be NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas, and Houston.

http://www.bizjournals.com/edit_special/80.html

Interesting! 20 years is a long time. I think Atlanta can do better than that in that time-frame - thats only 100k a year for Atlanta. I can see Georgia ranking 5th in population by 2025 as well. Currently at 9.6mil, all we will need is 3-4mil growth to contend for the 5th spot. We've gained 3.2mil in the last 18 years. With Atlanta's continued expansion, and the rapid expansion of Savannah and other smaller regions, I can see some future bragging rights.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know the status of the Meeting Park mixed use project in Marietta:

http://beacon-park.com/index.php

The website seems a bit dated and Google Maps just shows a cleared area.

They were only able to complete some phase I townhomes before the housing market collapsed. I guess the proper description of the project is "on hold". Heres a photo from flikr

3878783756_3bd2c8b603_b.jpg

Edited by Martinman
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

A positive development for the GM Doraville site is that New Broad Street Companies announced in January that they have the 165-acre site under contract. Closing is anticipated for summer 2010, at which time initial development concepts and timing details will be disclosed.

New Broad Street has developed a couple of successful new urbanism projects in the Orlando area called Baldwin Park and Celebration.

New Broad Street to buy GM site

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

atl01p.jpg

The Grand Bohemian in Sandy Springs is a go. The luxury hotel could break ground in late 2012. This property is in an easy walking distance (I mean real easy) from the Sandy Springs MARTA station. I love hearing about actual development news.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2012/04/20/grand-bohemian-making-progress.html

• 1 year later...

According to Tomorrow's News Today, Avalon phase 2 will include the following:

Lacoste, Burberry, Tiffany & Co., Kate Spade, Michael Kors

Avalon is also said to be in final lease negotiations with Crate & Barrell and Lilly Pulitzer.

So to the fashion conscious will this make Avalon Atlanta's second upscale shopping destination after Buckhead, surpassing Perimeter?

http://www.tonetoatl.com/2013/12/avalon-insider-scoop-conjecture-facts.html

Martinman...to keep it simple...yes. Perimeter Mall is just too close to Buckhead. Avalon is positioned far enough away to not even be competition for the Lenox/Phipps/BuckheadAtlanta powerhouse.

More than anything, it really limits North Point's chance at growing really upscale. It will now just be a nicely appointed mall.   

• 4 weeks later...

Positive news on the economic front. I didn't quite know where this post would fit. Since it has to do with a Norcross based company, I will put it here.

Could metro Atlanta be gaining yet another F500 company?

Norcross-based Unisource formally announced plans today to merge with Cincinnati-based XPedX. XPedX is a subsidiary of International Paper. Both companies distribute printing paper, packaging and facility supplies. The company will be spun off as an independent company after the merger. It will be based in metro Atlanta. At this point we don't know if the company will remain in Norcross or move elsewhere within metro Atlanta. The combined company will have $9 billion to $10 billion in annual revenues. The annual revenue amount is one criteria for a F500 company. The company will have 9500 employees across 170 distribution centers in North America.

The deal is expected to close in the middle of 2014.  

Read about it here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2014/01/28/unisource-to-merge-with-xpedx-hq-in.html  

• 9 months later...

Traffic on Holcomb Bridge Rd is already a doozy; I'd honestly rather see something like this be built near downtown Roswell which already has good bones.

Yeah. I think traffic may be what kills it. Though apparently from what I read, they are anticipating the Marta expansion up 400 to come through this area. Also, there are some planned intersection improvements at 400 and HBR. Will it be enough remains to be seen because that is definitely one of the worst areas for traffic in North Fulton.

I live in DT Roswell, and would love to see something like this happen there as well.

Traffic on Holcomb Bridge Rd is already a doozy; I'd honestly rather see something like this be built near downtown Roswell which already has good bones.

Yeah. I think traffic may be what kills it. Though apparently from what I read, they are anticipating the Marta expansion up 400 to come through this area. Also, there are some planned intersection improvements at 400 and HBR. Will it be enough remains to be seen because that is definitely one of the worst areas for traffic in North Fulton.

I live in DT Roswell, and would love to see something like this happen there as well.

You are correct. This intersection could be in line for a divergent diamond intersection similar to the one at Ashford Dunwoody and I-285. There is also a "planned" MARTA station on the west side of the Holcomb Bridge/GA 400 intersection. See map below...

10559899_810602695631259_686386392861195

I went to a meeting back in 2007 or 2008 for a similar version to this proposal. At the time, the neighboring homeowners were not too thrilled about the size of the development. Glancing at the announcement's specifics, it does appear to be "scaled down" from the original. GA 140 is a heavily traveled east-west corridor. It was bad when I was a teenage driving along it. If the MARTA station becomes a reality..and northern Fulton County seems quite receptive to a line up to Windward Parkway...then I think this could be a boom for the City of Roswell.

Such a sizable development would seriously overwhelm GA 19 and the western section of GA 140. Due to the historic and quaint nature of downtown Roswell, you can't widen GA 19 or Grimes Bridge Road in that area. It would be nice if the actual development had direct GA 400 access. This could alleviate much of the added traffic in and out of the development.      

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...