Metro Atlanta Projects.

derrickskugler

Wow. A S Carolina law firm will anchor the move? They must be expanding in Atlanta? That's odd. Why not build a larger headquarters in their hometown. I'm sure Columbia wouldn't mind another tower. most of their business must be coming from the Atlanta area. I wonder what are their specialties. Oh well....I will say that I'm glad that it is being anchored by a law firm. It would have been nice for them to take space in 191 Peachtree but I guess this is a nice way to get something new.

999 Peachtree is where? Is that 1099 or 999? If it is 999 that you are referencing then they are definitely expanding. 1099 is the fairly tall pentagon type building katy corner from the Campenel (sp?) building. I guess this bodes well for the residential buildings in the area. All these law firms in such a confined area. Wow.....keep us posted Martinman.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Columbia has office space available, but would be very welcoming of a new tower.

But realisticly, there are probably many clients located in ATL, which is the reason fo locating sucha large thing there.

From the Atlanta Business Chronicle:

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. has signed a letter of intent with Barry Real Estate Cos. to build a 250 room W Hotel with 75 luxury condominiums in Atlanta's downtown market.

The hotel and condos will be built at 45 Allen Plaza and will be part of the larger Allen Plaza complex.

Could another tower be in the plan for the Atlantic Station development!

Atlantic Station office development may be taking off. Any new building in this location will be going up against some strong competition with several new office buildings proposed in the downtown and midtown districts.

Read more here:

Atlantic Station owners evaluating office space.

Also in the news........

Could retail soon be returning to the old downtown Macy's?

Two national retailers are eyeing space in the former Macy's space downtown.

One retailer with a "strong apparel presence" is seeking 30,000 square feet, said Ruth Coan at The Shopping Center Group LLC, who has been marketing the space for more than a year

Read more here:

Downtown retailer?

Pope & Land/Post Development in Buckhead

Hope I'm not duplicating something that has already been posted but I did not see it. Pope & Land and Post Properties (Buckhead Millennium Associates) say they are moving ahead with their project at the corner of Peachtree and Peachtree-Dunwoody in Buckhead. This is on land they've purchased from Wieuca Road Baptist Church. The project features two mixed-use towers, but I forget how many stories. The lower floors will be office space and the upper floors will be condos. I don't know of any pictures on the web but have seen renderings they've presented at some of the community meetings.

Edited by Andrea

How do the renderings look?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is the site planned to the proposed development by Pope and Land at the corner of Peachtree Rd and Peachtree-Dunwoody Rds.

3660%20Peachtree%20Road_W_Driveway-1000.jpg

To the bottom right is where Phipps Plaza is located. Due bottom, at the intersection of Wieuca, Park Ave and Phipps Blvd is where the 486' Park Avenue Condominiums are located. Drive less than a half a mile down Peachtree Dunwoody and you are back into deep residential. It's interesting to note that the developers of Park Avenue were shot down when they tried to build a twin tower to the Park Avenue Condominium. I guess the neighborhood has softened its stance on tall buildings as their initial concern was the shadows cast by the buildings.

Per Pope and Land's website, this is the preliminary information offered about the property.

Ptree Road at Ptree-Dunwoody

-3.9 acres prominently located in presitigious Buckhead/Lenox area.

-Site is zoned Planned Development Office Commecial (PDOC) for a 500,000 square foot office signature tower, a 316 room hotel and two twin (12) story residential towers.

Right now there are no renderings of the actual towers.

This weeks ABC has a story about the new boutique hotel u/c downtown which will include the uber-hip Miami restaurant and lounge BED (for Beverage, Entertainment, Dining). And yes there are matresses in the place. "Sex in the City" fans will know that the NY version was featured on that show which tells you how hip it is. :rolleyes: If thats not hip enough for you, it will also have a rooftop lounge with glass railing so as not to obstruct the view.

The Glenn Hotel

main3xx.jpg

Edited by Martinman

Per Pope and Land's website, this is the preliminary information offered about the property.

-3.9 acres prominently located in presitigious Buckhead/Lenox area.

-Site is zoned Planned Development Office Commecial (PDOC) for a 500,000 square foot office signature tower, a 316 room hotel and two twin (12) story residential towers.

Right now there are no renderings of the actual towers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lady Celeste, at the recent community meetings they say they've dropped the plan for the hotel, and will just do two towers. As I undertand it, both towers will have office on the lower floors and condos on the upper ones. P&L will do the office component and the site plan, and Post will do the residential part. The sketches I saw showed both towers with the residential part significantly rececessed from the lower facade.

Lady Celeste, at the recent community meetings they say they've dropped the plan for the hotel, and will just do two towers.  As I undertand it, both towers will have office on the lower floors and condos on the upper ones.  P&L will do the office component and the site plan, and Post will do the residential part.  The sketches I saw showed both towers with the residential part significantly rececessed from the lower facade.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the update Andrea....

I drove past that intersection last Saturday. It will be interesting to see it go up.

I'm glad they got rid of the hotel plan. it's much better to have any new hotel closer to the Lenox/Peachtree or Peachtree/Piedmont intersections. I guess with the new W hotel going up in Buckhead, there won't be too many more hotels built in the area for a while. What did you think of the sketches of the buildings Andrea? Were they nice or plain?

I should have worded it this way instead: a true BIG city.

I didn't mean to imply that Atlanta isn't a "city", but when you think of the preimere cities in this country (LA, NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc) and the world you think of not only their size, but recongition in arts, landmarks, famous buildings, etc.  Which is not to say Atlanta doesn't have any of this, but it order to really move to that next level, the city needs more of it.

I do agree that they could have picked a better location for the ASO Hall than where it's going.  It will be a little out of place amongst all of the high rise buildings.  Even a little further up the street beyond the High, the building heights are lower, it would stand out better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atlanta is already at the "next level". And Boston has nothing on Atlanta and looks out of place being lumped into the big three.

In some ways, Atlanta is still a regional city - not quite a 'cosmopolitan' city yet.  Cities such as Dallas or Houston are closer to that level than Atlanta - but it's all a little relative anyways...

The difference - for the southeast, Atlanta is indeed a 'big city', but nationally it's not quite there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: OK keep telling yourself that. I admit Houston is slightly bigger metro 5,200,000 vs. Atlanta's 4,900,000 but is still in the same "level". Dallas actually is bigger than Houston in metro population at nearly 6,000,000 but I would say that is largely due to Ft. Worth? Have you ever even been to Atlanta?

So it is most certainly "there" and has been for a decade or more.

:rofl: OK keep telling yourself that.  I admit Houston is slightly bigger metro 5,200,000 vs. Atlanta's 4,900,000 but is still in the same "level".  Dallas actually is bigger than Houston in metro population at nearly 6,000,000 but I would say that is largely due to Ft. Worth?  Have you ever even been to Atlanta? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atlanta's not "there" in terms of the urban vibrancy that makes a city different from a conglomeration of suburbs with a bunch of tall buildings in the middle. In my opinion, that's what separates Atlanta from the A-list cities in this country -- NYC, Chicago, yes, Boston, San Francisco, even L.A., etc. In terms of numbers it is certainly there, with the exception of one: center-city population density.

Atlanta: 416,474 people; 3,161 per square mile.

New York: 8,008,278 people; 26,402 per square mile.

Chicago: 2,896,016 people; 12,750 per square mile.

Boston: 589,141 people; 12,165 per square mile.

San Francisco: 776,733 people; 16,634 per square mile.

Los Angeles: 3,694,820 people; 7,876 per square mile.

You can make an argument that density is not the all-important measure many perceive it to be. That's fine, but 3,000/square mile is not remotely near the critical mass necessary to consider most of the city "urban." The suburban town where I live 25 miles from Boston is denser. The unfortunate fact is that tall, impressive buildings on desolate streets do not a great city make.

It looks like Atlanta's moving in the right direction, though, as these projects alone could add 10,000 people to the city in high-density developments. I lived there for eight years and was continually frustrated by how the great existing neighborhoods were afloat in a sea of sprawl. I'm optimistic that intown Atlanta can become truly urban. Hopefully, the big-city street level retail and pedestrian activity and diversity will follow.

Density has reall nothing to do with being "cosmopolitan". And what threshold is "there" anyway? Where is "there"? Is "there" when you have people elbow to elbow on a city street with cabs honking and irate people busying around?

Atlanta has plenty of that but thank God it isn't all the time.

Again, Atlanta is "there" and is certainly as "there" as Boston or Houston is.

:rofl: OK keep telling yourself that.  I admit Houston is slightly bigger metro 5,200,000 vs. Atlanta's 4,900,000 but is still in the same "level".  Dallas actually is bigger than Houston in metro population at nearly 6,000,000 but I would say that is largely due to Ft. Worth?  Have you ever even been to Atlanta? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live near downtown Atlanta & have lived in Atlanta since 1990.

The concept of 'cosmopolitan' is highly relative, that was simply my understanding based on my view of regional cities vs cities of international significance.

I do agree that Dallas & Houston are on the same level of national significance, but I do view those cities as being ahead of Atlanta due to the greater level of civic initiatives taken place. The city leaders of Dallas & Houston have made greater strides in promoting & developing a city that is more cosmopolitan than the regional city of today. Granted - with the acquarium & the numerous proposals - Atlanta is definitely in the direction, & if the Beltline (transit & parks), Peachtree streetcar, all the planned condo towers in Downtown / Midtown & almost most importantly the new symphony hall are built - then Atlanta would be far closer to that abstract concept of 'cosmopolitan', at least as close as Dallas.

But downtown Atlanta is a long way off. I have made excuses, & I think they are valid excuses for Atlanta's the lack of synergy in downtown - but it needs to be far greater than it is now.

Density has reall nothing to do with being "cosmopolitan".  And what threshold is "there" anyway?  Where is "there"?  Is "there" when you have people elbow to elbow on a city street with cabs honking and irate people busying around?

Atlanta has plenty of that but thank God it isn't all the time. 

Again, Atlanta is "there" and is certainly as "there" as Boston or Houston is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That depends on how you look at it. If you mean vertical density, then yes, you are right. I think density has a role in it though. Take Charleston, SC for example. It has a density of around 10,000 per sq mi. on the peninsula below 17 (aka: Downtown). Apparantly thats right up there with the big boys. If you take the "city proper" then you will get a much lower density. These numbers can be skewed to show what you want to show. You really need to experience the place for yourself abd make your own decision. People like to try to prove that Atlanta is not all its cracked up to be because of its sterotype, and its usually based on numbers and staying out in the burbs. I've been there, and its impressive. I am certainly not saying its flawless.

As for cosmoplitan? I'm not a fan of fruity pink alcohol.

Turns out the aquarium will not be the biggest in the country.

It'll be the biggest in the world with over 500,000 sf, 8 million gallons, and over 100,000 fish.

Also Airtran, Southern Company, Bellsouth, Home Depot, Georgia Pacific and Suntrust are sponsors that helped cover the cost of construction which turned out to be significantly more than $200million

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/atla...07aquarium.html

^Let me get this straight.

So, what you're saying is that it will not only be the largest in the country, but also the largest in the world?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes according to Bernie Marcus, it will be. Apparently he's been keeping everything so tightly under wraps for that reason. They originally said it would be 5 million gallons and 50k animals about the same size as the Shedd aquarium in Chicago. Now we find out that the tank with the whales alone will hold 6 million gallons.

I know there are plans for the largest everything EVER in Dubai so maybe that one will be larger once its completed.

Edited by Martinman

Yes according to Bernie Marcus, it will be.  Apparently he's been keeping everything so tightly under wraps for that reason.  They originally said it would be 5 million gallons and 50k animals about the same size as the Shedd aquarium in Chicago.  Now we find out that the tank with the whales alone will hold 6 million gallons. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's pretty big...

So, we're talking about something far bigger than 5 million gallons, then?

Sorry, just trying to bring it all into scope.

That's pretty big...

So, we're talking about something far bigger than 5 million gallons, then?

Sorry, just trying to bring it all into scope.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Read the article sweetheart.

Aquarium statistics!

But for a simple answer to your question handsome,

Marcus announced today the Georgia Aquarium's tanks will hold 8 million gallons of water, including six million gallons in the giant tank containing two whale sharks. Whale sharks are the largest fish on earth and the Atlanta fish tank will be the only one outside of Asia to display the massive filter feeders.

It will be about twice as big as the Monterrey Bay Aquarium in California.

The aquarium will also encompass more than a half-million square feet of space and display more than 100,000 fish. Those numbers, Marcus said, will make the aquarium the largest fish tank on the planet and increase its drawing power.

Aquarium officials initially said the facility's tanks would contain more than 5 million gallons of water.

Marcus also announced that the aquarium will import three female beluga whales from another aquarium on a "breeding loan." Those females will be paired at the aquarium with two male belugas that the aquarium is rescuing from a sub-standard display tank at a Mexico City amusement park.

"Hopefully, we'll have little belugas coming along," Marcus said. "We'll play some romantic music and see what happens."

I hope that helps........