Comments Requested from SC Forumers

Spartan

Do you favor or oppose the idea of creating subsections?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you favor or oppose the idea of creating subsections?

• Favor
    • Oppose
    • Other (explain)

A fellow forumer recently brought to my attention the idea of creating subsections for the South Carolina forum. This is something I have always considered a long term goal for some day in the future. Perhaps that day is today.

The SC Forum is the 3rd most active forum on UrbanPlanet.org behind Charlotte and Orlando (and we're not too far behind Orlando). So it seems to me that there is some justification for splitting things up.

My sectioning would be as follows:

-SC Forum-

• Columbia

• Greenville

Charleston simply doesn't have enough activity right now, but as discussions about that city increase it would have its own section too.

The question I pose to you is this: Do you favor or oppose the idea of creating subsections, and why? The key thing I am interested in is why you think the way you do. So don't go voting without giving an explanation! :)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am mixed, my main interests are Greenville and its surrounding areas, but by having it all together I have read alot about Columbia that I would not have otherwise, and that has really changed my perspective on that city. so for the time being I think it is find that they are mixed.

I'm a neat freak when it comes to message boards and stuff, so I voted in favor of having sub-sections. I just like things organized. And I'm a completist, so I like the idea of everything we've ever talked about on Columbia, being right there in one easy-to-browse/search section. I'm for it! :)

Poor Charleston, the Urban Planet ugly step-sister. I was a no until I read emerging me's reasoning. It made sense so I am now a yes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damnit, my hometown just can't get a break! ;) I think subsections would be good...I'm just worried that if Charleston doesn't get a sub-section, it'll end up getting lost in the regular SC forum.

First of all, thank you Spartan for making this poll available! I hope it will prove valuable to the future of this forum. :thumbsup:

"Getting LOST..." that's one of the main reasons this would be great. :) See, if Charleston gets as many posts as it has recently, it will DOMINATE the regular SC threads (not get lost). Microsoft Windows Operating System uses folders and files to organize data in a most accessible manner. When someone is browsing the threads about our state, he or she can become confused while attempting to figure out what thread is related to the other. Most people know of the 3 major cities here, and may be looking for specific info on each. Keeping all threads dedicated to that city together would make it very easy to locate and read the information being sought. (Check out the North Carolina forum for an example.)

Also, many of the threads that haven't been hot recently are overlooked, because they have been bumped to another page and forgotten.

I am in full support of this measure. Let's make it happen! :D

I am mixed, my main interests are Greenville and its surrounding areas, but by having it all together I have read alot about Columbia that I would not have otherwise, and that has really changed my perspective on that city.  so for the time being I think it is find that they are mixed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is my main concern. I know that I will read every thing about SC that I can here, so it isn't a concern for me peronally. My concern is that people won't ever check on the rest of SC if this set up is implemented. I feel like we have a solid mixture of people from all the cities that interact.

Didn't there used to be sub-sections such as upstate, midlands, coastal?

I don't mind sub-sections, but my main interest is SC in general, with a slant toward Spartanburg.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. We had the Upstate/Midlands section which was the beginning of the SC section. Charleston/Lowcountry and the Pee Dee were relegated to a low traffic section called "The Coastal Regions" (included coastal NC, SC, and GA) that was separate from the rest of SC and so are 'behind' in terms of topics and discussion. Charleston has alot going for it being the fastest growing area in the state, so I am not worried (long term) about a lack of traffic for that area.

As it stands now, NC has one sub section: Charlotte. This section is by far the most active on the site, but it is also one of the oldest since monsoon and Neo (both admins) are from that area. The NC Triad and Triangle sections were removed due to low activity there, though that can and likely will change. We don't like slow sections.

That would be the policy here in the SC section as well. So long as traffic keeps up, the subsections can stay. I view this potential change as a chance to make or break this section, which is why I put this poll up. Obviously the answer is overwhelmingly in favor of this, so I will talk to the higher-ups and get things rolling.

First of all, thank you Spartan for making this poll available!  I hope it will prove valuable to the future of this forum. :thumbsup:

"Getting LOST..." that's one of the main reasons this would be great. :)  See, if Charleston gets as many posts as it has recently, it will DOMINATE the regular SC threads (not get lost).  Microsoft Windows Operating System uses folders and files to organize data in a most accessible manner.  When someone is browsing the threads about our state, he or she can become confused while attempting to figure out what thread is related to the other.  Most people know of the 3 major cities here, and may be looking for specific info on each.  Keeping all threads dedicated to that city together would make it very easy to locate and read the information being sought.  (Check out the North Carolina forum for an example.)

Also, many of the threads that haven't been hot recently are overlooked, because they have been bumped to another page and forgotten.

I am in full support of this measure.  Let's make it happen! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Sky, you did make me feel better with that analysis. I guess we'll just wait a few more weeks and see what happens?

Archived